Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Help wiring a Peco code 55 insulfrog single slip

Please can someone help as I am a bit stumped. I am trying to wire up a peco electrfrog single slip. Please ignore the reference to insulfrog in the title. I think I understand how the slip needs to be switched . The polarity of the frog at each end of the slip needs to be controlled by the setting of the blades at the opposite end. Have I got that bit right?

The peco single slip has four wires coming out of the base. One on each side and one at each end. I assumed that the ones at each end would be linked to the frog immeadiately above and that the ones on each side would be linked to the running rails on the same side. I wired up the slip accordingly with point motors and switches. Insulated joiners were added to the frog rails as appropriate and there do not seem to be any shorts.

Unfortunately one exit from the slip is always live, even when the blades at the opposite end are set against it. The other is dead even when the opposite blades are set for it.

Have I got my assumptions wrong about which wire is linked to which bit of rail? Please can anyone help me before I have to get a multi-meter to figure out the connections?

• RMweb Premium

If it is an insulfrog there should be no need to change polarities. In theory you could just use 2 wires one to each side of the track. There might be 4 so that each track has a fixed feed.

If it is an insulfrog there should be no need to change polarities. In theory you could just use 2 wires one to each side of the track. There might be 4 so that each track has a fixed feed.

Sorry, typo. It is an electrofrog.

If you can get hold of the November 2008 (No.124) copy of Model Rail, on pages 68 to 72 there's an illustrated, 5-page article entitled "How to fit and wire a (Peco N gauge) single slip" ... of the electrofrog variety. Could be just what you need.

No I don't have a fantastic memory... nor even an index... I just happened to buy the mag, with 2 others, yesterday at the South Devon Railway second hand book shop in Buckfastleigh... for just a £.

Thanks for the help and tips.

After checking with the diagrams suggested above, I am pretty sure I have the wiring correct. Suggestions from the N gauge Yahoo group lead me to suspect that the peco PL13 accessory switches are not working properly. I will remove the backs and see if I can adjust them.

• 1 month later...

Yup, it looks like my problem was using PL13s. I bought a pair of PL15s and I had all the track feeds working in about 10 minutes. Then it was just a case of soldering them into place. It was very satisfying to see my little pannier trundling around all corners of the layout reliably.

I will be sticking to micro-switches of some variety in future for frog switching. Or maybe just go for Tortoise/Cobalt point motors at the outset. :unsure:

Archived