NCE slave problem

sharkman

Has anyway one had problems running two NCE powercabs together? We had problems with our slave freezing after a minute or so of using. We tried swapping hand throttles around to check if their may be faults on them along with cabling. The only suggestion we had was that they both where running different firmware versions.

You can't run two PowerCabs as PowerCabs on the same layout. If you want to use the second PowerCab as an additional controller (ProCab) to the first one then you need to change the cab address to 3. However, you'll have to remember to change the address back to 2 if you want to use it as a PowerCab again.

You can't run two PowerCabs as PowerCabs on the same layout. If you want to use the second PowerCab as an additional controller (ProCab) to the first one then you need to change the cab address to 3. However, you'll have to remember to change the address back to 2 if you want to use it as a PowerCab again.

Hi, my appologies I should have mentioned that yes we did as instructions and changed second to address 3.

I have run two Power Cabs side by side (one as a "slave" to the other) on the BRMA exhibition layout as well as on my own layout before upgrading to a Power Pro command station. The only problems I encountered were when we shorted out something (forgot to change the points, again!) and both tried to start as the command station at the same time - the solution was to unplug the slave unit before restarting the system.

Oh, and at the time, not all of my Power Cabs had the same version; one was version 1.10 and the others were 1.28. All have subsequently been upgraded to version 1.28c.

I have run two Power Cabs side by side (one as a "slave" to the other) on the BRMA exhibition layout as well as on my own layout before upgrading to a Power Pro command station. The only problems I encountered were when we shorted out something (forgot to change the points, again!) and both tried to start as the command station at the same time - the solution was to unplug the slave unit before restarting the system.

Oh, and at the time, not all of my Power Cabs had the same version; one was version 1.10 and the others were 1.28. All have subsequently been upgraded to version 1.28c.

We did actually get it to work and as you said when a short "occured" it reset everything although I have a feeling it did freeze again after a while.

I was the other operator, using my powercab as slave.

Yes, we changed the cab address to 03 and used the curly cable. Everything worked fine at first.

The problem was appearing after a short, as SRman noted above. The master cab would re-set after the short was cleared but the slave would freeze. I eventually found that going through the cab address setting routine would get things working again until the next short.

• RMweb Gold

Same happens with us on Summat Colliery, if there's a short the slave cab although seemingly OK refuses to drive a loco. We have to set 02 to 03, and 03 to 02 and swap round etc to get things working again.

The main reason I installed block cut-outs on the layout :rolleyes:

That's what I was thinking we need to do.

Yes I had considered splitting it into "districts" originally but as it was'nt a large layout I thought we would'nt encounter problems, obviously I was wrong - will look into it before we venture into future outings!

I am a great believer in short circuit protection for any DCC layout, no matter what the size of the layout. At a basic level you could use just a car light bulb to provide an indication of a short circuit, or use the NCE CP6 which was designed specifically for use with the PowerCab system, but neither will actually protect the PowerCab from a short circuit. Alternatively you could use a circuit breaker which will actually cut the power but for the basic PowerCab starter set you need to use one that can be set to break at 2 amps - the DCC Specialities PSX-1 will do this, but they aren't cheap.

I don't see that the rep[orted problem has anything to do with additional short circuit protection. It appears that the pro-cab design is deficient, especially when used as a slave unit.The master unit's short protection should shut down the output an a short without shutting down its internal processor and without any effect on the slave unit. The reported problem is a symptom of inadequate design, assuming that they are being used according to the instructions.

Keith

For my own layout I have short-circuit protection but for the BRMA exhibition layout I just hook the Power Cab up to the layout wires using crocodile clips. As I am only ever on the stand for one day per exhibition, it is something that is not really worth creating a fuss for. I suppose I could wire a trailer tail light into my exhibition "quick set-up" box ...

Archived