Welcome to the Group

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Welcome to the Boxfile & Micro layout group.

First off, I'd like to explain the logo for the group - it's a tribute to the late Carl Arendt, who promoted the idea of small layouts to the world.

In a similar way, hopefully we can add layouts here that will inspire others to have a go at building something, whether it's in a boxfile or just on a small baseboard.

Please add links to threads elsewhere on the forum, or create new threads in here.

Cheers

Stu

Edit - Now includes Dioramas, so once you've completed your 2011 Challenge, please add a link from here drinks.gif

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for setting up this group, Stu. The tribute to Carl Arendt in the logo is a very nice idea.

Just to clarify, is the idea that we post links to our own micros here, or to those of others that have inspired us?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mikkel,

I've renamed my 'Porth Byhan' thread to be more of a thread for adding links to micro layouts. - These can be either your own, or others, as you've said, have inspired you.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stu

Just found this group,and also love the banner tribute to Carl,loved visiting his site each month,very sadly missed

Ive only built one boxfile layout uptil now,currently invoveled with something a bit bigger,but will do another some day.Have seen yours elswhere on the RMWeb, realy insperational.Keep up the good work !

Hi all,

Welcome to the Boxfile & Micro layout group.

First off, I'd like to explain the logo for the group - it's a tribute to the late Carl Arendt, who promoted the idea of small layouts to the world.

In a similar way, hopefully we can add layouts here that will inspire others to have a go at building something, whether it's in a boxfile or just on a small baseboard.

Please add links to threads elsewhere on the forum, or create new threads in here.

Cheers

Stu

Edit - Now includes Dioramas, so once you've completed your 2011 Challenge, please add a link from here drinks.gif

Hi Stu,

Cheers for the invite, it will be very interesting now to see how big this gets. Certainly a fab idea to promote the small/micro layout theme. It's something that most of us need to look at now, especially in time's when finances are very stretched for most, but the biggest killer of them all I think has to be the time and space factor. Lets face it, we all have these great ideas of doing this n that, only a few really suceed as most lose interest because of lack of time, and also waiting for the day when we will have the ultimate setup in which to build the great ideas and things they have planned for and have been putting off because of the `I just don't have the space or the time.

Sadly, not everyone is that fortunate, the way I see things now is get on and at least build something, and you never know you might actually like it better than being tied to a long term project, or just as a break from a big project, basically, without going into detail here, life's too short, just do what you can to enjoy a fantastic hobby.

Also a point to consider and it seems to crop up time and again,.... I'd just built half of the scenery when, a house move dictated I dismantle a layout that has taken you hours of damn hard work and expense to achieve, and nine times out of ten it's a scrap it and start again or sell or salvage what you can. God knows I've been there a good few times. I know there are exceptions and some will say `well I wasn't really happy with it anyway, or some have thought of exhibitions and planned,designed, and builr accordingly, so these are perhaps exceptions to the rule.

Small, or micro layouts have many advantages, cost little in money, time, space, certainly easy to store, and as stated above in times now when we all seem to move around more frequently than ever for whatever reason it makes good sense, what's any easier than packing a few boxes and chucking em in the back of your car and away you go. Remember, also it's a good way of trying out new techniques etc.

This then leads to the exhibition issue, remember, big layouts are fab, but, they have to be moved and no matter how easy you try to make moving a big layout it's damn hard work, and that's when there's a team of you at a club or similar.

Please don';t think I'm against big layouts, because I'm not, they are fab and great fun to be involved with and work on, this is just my thoughts on the subject,not fact just an opinion.

Just get on and build a little something and enjoy it, what's everyone else's thoughts on this? It will be nice to see what others think about this topic.

Regards, Rich :pleasantry:

Archived