RMweb

Nu-Cast J15 Cometh

• RMweb Gold

It's started-look out! Work has commenced on the J15!

Photos tomorrow night. What's the betting Bachmann announce a J15 soon?

Thanks, Mark

Check out my personal message links!wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

It's started-look out! Work has commenced on the J15!

Photos tomorrow night. What's the betting Bachmann announce a J15 soon?

Thanks, Mark

Check out my personal message links!wink.gif

Hi there,

Sorry about the photos or lack of.

What with work and the Arsenal playing tonight things have got behind.

They will appear tomorrow as I'm off for 2 daysbiggrin.gif . Time to get down to some serious work I feel.

Kit is coming along fine-no suprises at the momment. Loco is in its main sub-assemblies and the tender is being cleaned up.

Thanks, Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Sorry about the photos or lack of.

What with work and the Arsenal playing tonight things have got behind.

They will appear tomorrow as I'm off for 2 daysbiggrin.gif . Time to get down to some serious work I feel.

Kit is coming along fine-no suprises at the momment. Loco is in its main sub-assemblies and the tender is being cleaned up.

Thanks, Mark

As promised I've got round to taking some pictures of my progress on the J15. The kit is Nu-Cast and will be detailed with some Alan Gibson bits. Eventually, the loco will run on my Kettering-Cambridge line based layout set around Raunds.

post-7584-12591767984997_thumb.jpg

I was tempted to try soldering this kit but bottled right out! Instead, I've used super glue and epoxy for construction. So far things seem to be going to plan. What it does remind me of is an old Airfix aircraft kit that needs lots of fettling, filling and sanding compared to say a Tamiya kit that is shake and bake.

The chimney, dome, smokebox door and cab roof are held on with Blu-tac for photographic purposes-hence they may appear to have a wonk on. The boiler and cab are not fixed either. I've just noticed on the photo that the boiler has shifted forwards. It also had a quick blast of primer to see how the join line between the two halves of the boiler went together.

post-7584-12591768653425_thumb.jpg

I haven't been near the chassis as such yet-just assembled it to test the fit against the body. All ok-I'd like to say so far. It's going to be powered by a Mashima 1020 with a Comet GB5 2 stage geabox (38:1).

post-7584-12591768959342_thumb.jpg

The cab will need some serious detailing and I've managed to get a copy of a Connoisseur Models 'O' Gauge J15 instructions that I am using for reference for detailing certain areas on this kit.

post-7584-12591769407627_thumb.jpg

The tender is going to need some filling towards the back, but went together reasonbly well.

post-7584-1259176969103_thumb.jpg

Hope you like it? I think there's a few J15 fans out there.

I will keep updating the post-and comments appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see one of these under construction - I've been tempted by one for a while but haven't taken the plunge yet!

Hi Jules,

Thanks for your reply. Looking at your layout I can see the need for a J15!

By the way-the layout is brilliant and I certainly like the detailing and the locos you have built. It has the look of an East Anglian based layout-am I right? Is the layout still in exsistance or have you moved?

As for my J15, it's the first kit I've built for a while so will be a learning curve. The loco will be a Cambridge shedded one in the late 1950's. If this goes to plan-might be tempted with a E4 2-4-0.

Also on East Anglian based layouts, have you seen Wiggoforgold's Diddington posted on here? Have a look-it's an inspiration.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

The layout went in the skip as part of my house move. I saved all of the structures so something can be resurected later!

I am finally about to start a new layout - although this might not have a GE theme...

Back to the J15 - how did the chassis go together and how easy is the motor/pickups to fit? That was the biggest issue I had with my N7, and it still isn't really completely to my liking. Hopefully the J69 I have to build will benefit from the previous mistakes!

Cheers,

Jules

... What it (J15) does remind me of is an old Airfix aircraft kit that needs lots of fettling, filling and sanding compared to say a Tamiya kit that is shake and bake.

... If this goes to plan-might be tempted with a E4 2-4-0.

If these are still based on the original circa 1970 Stephen Poole castings (and they do look like it) then the J15 is 'shake and bake' as compared to the E4. Both kits make up into models that look as charming as their prototypes, but the E4 needs a lot more work to make it a successful runner.

It's all about balance. Up front the castings are thick walled, and there is more of it than on the J15, with the outside frames and all. Toward the rear, mucho whitemetal had to be cut away to get the wheels to fit inside the splashers, the rods to clear the underside of the footplating, and the motor and gearbox to fit at all. (The latter will be made somewhat easier by modern can motors and fold up gearboxes 'tis true.) The loco balances somewhere under the dome if constructed without significant action to lighten the front end. With the benefit of hindsight, lopping off most of the smoke box drum, and fabricating a lighter sheet metal replacement would be one big step in the right direction.

While my J15 still makes regular jaunts onto the ex-GN mainline (there is a picture of Hitchin's 65479 on Top Shed looking very antique between a pair of pacifics) the E4 is largely for show until such time as I can face an extensive rebuild...

• RMweb Gold

Hi to you both,

Firstly Jules-hope you get a new layout up and running soon.

Regarding the chassis, motor and pick-ups I'm afraid I've cheated and probably committed a cardinal sin when kit building! The gearbox hasn't arrived yet so I've got stuck in to the body and tender. This will probably be a huge mistake! Just fixed the bolts on which will hold the body to the chassis and found although I'd removed great chunks of metal from the splashers there's still a clearance problem. Out with the biggest file I can find!

I agree with you too-34theletterbetweenb&d- I think this is the Stephen Poole kit. Yes I've spent some or should that be lots of time cleaning up some huge chunks of metal. Think this is supposed to be fun!rolleyes.gif

I've noticed a couple of errors in the kit today and have taken some more photos.

post-7584-12592443265103_thumb.jpg

Regarding the tender I've removed a great lump of metal from in front of lockers where the handbrake lever will go. This brings it flush with the locos cab and will need a fall plate.

post-7584-12592445303975_thumb.jpg

With the cab itself I noticed that the seats on the side of the cab walls are too high affecting the positioning of the reversing lever. I've broken up the cab into its component pieces and started more filing-there's a theme here! I will scratch build a new cab interior adding more detail. Just as a comparrison-I've included the Alan Gibson casting.

post-7584-12592446963275_thumb.jpg

I've also started to drill holes etc for pumps, handrails and other details. Most of these are Gibson parts too.

post-7584-1259245048272_thumb.jpg

I've got several phots of J15's on the Kettering to Cambridge line including 65457 at Godmanchester and Thrapston (this will be my engine) and 65390 on Kettering shed next to a 78xxx 2-6-0.

Thanks once again to you both.

Mark

post-7584-12592448192676_thumb.jpg

Greetings 46444 and others,

A few things about the thread so far

Nu-Cast aquired the Stephen Poole range some years back. When they re-introduced them they included a whitemetal casting for the "chassis" whereas Stephen Poole had used machined brass sideframes joined by brass spacers. I've still got one each of the original Stephen Poole J15 and E4 to build, it's been a long time.....

If you want drawings of a J15 then I'd suggest the John Gardner ones from the GER Society, they are available to non-members. John has created the drawings for modellers from the original Stratford drawings. In addition to the J15 specific one the ones covering the fittings used on many different classes are useful if you are planning to do several GER Locos.

GER Soc can be found at http://www.gersociety.org.uk/ a list of their publications can be downloaded in pdf format.

• RMweb Gold

Hi again,

Bit more of an update. Guess what? It involved filing lumps of metal!

Got to grips with the cab-added the Gibson backhead and added some new gauges, wheels and cleaned up the reversing rod wheel.

post-7584-12592558127808_thumb.jpg

post-7584-12592558499253_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot of the tender and cab together showing the improvement of removing that great lump of metal from the front of the tender.

post-7584-12592559022863_thumb.jpg

Just got to finish of the cab seats-then a good wash and join it all together. I'm going to use some self adhesive metal tape to add the boiler band on the firebox and the beading around the cab and wheel splashers. Also need to add the cab and tender handrails.

A panoramic shot to finish.

post-7584-1259256201389_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Mark

• RMweb Premium

Mark,

post-2274-1259256840295_thumb.jpg

I hope that you'll take this in the constructive way that it's meant.

Is it photographic distortion or is the boiler 'down at the stern'?

The broadside photos clearly shown the firebox sitting on the footplate and the smokebox sitting on the splasher tops, yet the boiler seems to lean to the rear.

The firebox seems as if it's not high enough - but then it can't go much higher or it'd block the spectacles.

Is this just an illusion?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Yes I had noticed this problem. I will put some packing under the firebox to level things up after it's had a good wash. The cab and boiler aren't fixed at the mo so things may appear to have a wonk on. Also, and thankfully, there is a piece of beading between the lower firebox and the foot plate.

As for your comments, I'm pleased you have noticed and I guess this is what this site is about.

This is my first kit in ages. As I said earlier this is no 1/48 scale Tamiya Me 262.

Thanks, Mark

• RMweb Premium

Yes I had noticed this problem. I will put some packing under the firebox to level things up after it's had a good wash.

If you have a drawing of the prototype, check the height of the top of the smokebox above the footplate - it may be that the smokebox needs filing to lower it down onto the splasher tops.

Regards,

John.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

I should get a scale drawing as one of the previous posts has said concerning the GE Society or I think Yeardons do a book on the J15.

However, looking at photos and the instructions to the 7mm Coniosseur kit I think all is well and the problem was probably caused by me when filing more lumps of metal from the base of the firebox-there was a large amount unsuprisingly.

By raising it, this should level it off in line with the smokebox and not interfere with the cab windows.

Thanks once again.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for taking us through this. It is a great help.

One of my longer term ambitions is to build a GER branch line layout, for which a J15 is a must (at least if steam era) - and probably an E4. Your notes help me realise what skills I must develop before I start on this!

Good luck, and I'll keep following the progress.

Julian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave and Julian,

Thanks for your kind comments. blush.gif

Hope all ok in your neck of Cumbria Dave?

It's a bit like flying by the seat of your pants with this at the momment and learning as you go along.

Some of the more experienced kit builders are probably running to the hills with my techniques that have mainly been picked up whilst aircraft modelling.

Work has stopped play for the last few days and I'm there tomorrow as well so progress has slowed down. Saying that sometimes I think it's good to have a break from things just to recap and refresh. Off for two days after tomorrow though so will be able to crack on.

The Comet gearbox turned up today (Good service) and looks reasonably simple to construct, but this is the bit I'm dreading to be honest along with the chassis and connecting rods.icon_eek.gif

Started on putting the floor in and building up the cab seats. Should be some photos tomorrrow hopefully.

Just as an aside, as anyone got any pictures of their Nu-Cast J15/E4's?

Thanks once again,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

I like the look of the J15 (its one of the few GE locos I can recognise) and I'm following you contruction with interest; especially your thoughts on the Nu-Cast kit. I'm glad someone else has mentioned the sloping boiler, I wasnt sure if it was an optical illusion. I dont think you need to lower the smokebox, it looks fine to me.

Not sure if you have seen it, but in Model Railway Journal Nos. 161 & 162 in 2005, there was an account by Martin Welch of building a 7mm scale J15. You may not want to go to the lengths that Martin has gone to, but these articles could be of interest, as they contained quite a few detail shots and prototype photos.

Another good source of photos is the Wild Swan Publications book "The Mid-Suffolk Light Railway" by Peter Paye (ISBN 1 874103 81 X) It doesnt contain a drawing, but has umpteen photos of J15s, from all sorts of angles, including a full-page view of the cab interior.

All the best,

Dave.T

• RMweb Gold

Off today so been busy on the J15. It's been a day of one step forwards and three back, but perserverence paid off eventually.

I started on the chassis and gearbox this morning-though I certainly won't be putting soldering chassis down on my CV. think my Antex 25 watt either didn't have a big enough bit or was man enough for the job. Copious amounts of flux was sloshed about to no avail-so there's some pretty ropey soldering under that chassis. Thankfully, it runs freely. The Comet gearbox was excellent to put together, but didn't want to fit into the firebox-so I had to remove the Gibson backhead from the cab and will have to have the motor poking into the cab. Not too bad though, and could have possibly used a more fancy gearbox to overcome this.

post-7584-1259614635454_thumb.jpg

Well, I answered my own question from an earlier post, in saying I'd regret not building the chassis first. As someone said, there is a lot of metal to remove from inside the firebox and splashers! Out come the Dremel-which I got a bit carried away with in places. Whoops! Out with the filler.

post-7584-12596148265623_thumb.jpg

The Romford wheels and crankpins went together fine. Fixed the coupling rods and with some power to the motor things moved and nothing buckled, though it is a bit stiff. Brake blocks are plastic and are also from the the Gibson range. I have a set for the tender as well to fit.

post-7584-12596149809001_thumb.jpg

I've had add filler to the boliler after the Dremel attack shook everything out and have stated to sand this back. Things are still loose at the momment, so should soon be able to fix it all together and sort out the wonk on the firebox.

post-7584-12596146073047_thumb.jpg

Moving onto the tender, I've filled the gap at the back beneath the filler now.

post-7584-12596157042568_thumb.jpg

I can't help thinking as the loco comes together what a gracefull little engine the J15 was.

post-7584-12596159295816_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Mark

post-7584-12596152224944_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in further updates.

I'm on an 8 day stretch at work so haven't felt much up to modelling when I get home.

Off Thursday so back to the grindstone. I've stripped the chassis/gearbox back down ready for spraying.

More soon,

Mark

I don't want to hijack this but a J15 has been on my menu for sometime and if I could afford it I was looking to buy a Gibson kit. But, whilst musing on the web last weekend I went onto e-bay looking for Mike's gas lamps of all things and came across an unmade Nu-Cast J15 kit. Having followed your topic and considered the possibilities I decided to make a bid and I think that some of the e-bay predators must have been asleep for a change because I manage to win it. For its age it's a good little kit, the whitemetal firebox certainly makes things cramped for a motor and gearbox. I've looked up the MRJ articles by Martyn Welch (and I'm trying to find an earlier article by Allan Sibley), I was going to drive off of the middle axle like you have, but I'm not so sure with all that boiler cutting, so I'm looking at using a high level gearbox off of either the middle or rear axle, but.......I came across a link in MRJ to another article which deals with tender drive, that's a gearbox in the engine with a shaft through to a motor in the tender. Did you given this any thought, or has anyone else used this drive for small tender locos? My model wouldn't need to pull a 50 wagon train but it would certainly be a good way of putting weight in the boiler where the motor might be.

• RMweb Gold

Hi both of you,

Thanks for your replies.

The tender drive option sounds interesting and it's one I hadn't thought of myself. Again there's not a lot of room in there and as you know would certainly need a new tender chassis. Alan Gibson does one of these for his kit. I was tempted to go for this option and remove the metal casting but seeing's this was my first kit in ages I wanted to keep costs down.

Yesterday I sprayed the chassis and and wheels so hopefully today I can crack on with the kit after a bit of the dreaded Xmas shopping!

I'll post some photos in the next few days to show the progress.

Thanks, Mark

My model wouldn't need to pull a 50 wagon train but it would certainly be a good way of putting weight in the boiler where the motor might be.

Even after much internal hacking to fit a K's mk 2 motor, (it is now on something rather better!) the J15 from this kit is not short of weight, and thus traction, of this you may rest assured.

Motor in tender is possible, but I would suggest the use of a 'piano wire' drive shaft to keep it reasonably inconspicuous. The low tender front, and very open short roofed cab make the cab floor very visible.

Archived