Oh no not another rail cleaning question?

Hi.

I have read most of the posts about what modellers clean their rails with by way of Meths, IPA etc.

However my question relates to the method of cleaning i.e. what material do you use for applying the cleaning fluid to the rails?

I find when I clean the rails with, in my case some electrical contact cleaner, that the piece of material which actually does the rubbing will easily catch on point blades or the small plastic nipple that is part of the Peco point switching mechanism.

Have members advice please on what they use that doesn't have a tendency to catch and if they have a special "tool" for the cleaning?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Rippon

Hi Jeff, on the big exhibition layout I'm involved with we use Lanarkshire Models & Supplies track cleaners fitted into LMS guardsvans. They are a passive rolling cleaner and pick up the dirt on a cloth as you operate your railway. Being a rolling action they don't catch on point blades, track joints etc. Also, being fitted into a guardsvan they are well disguised and can be used with cleaning fluids. I have to declare my interest in these though, I make them.... But many hundreds have been sold and the feedback is - they work well. They were also 'Highly commended' in last months 'Model Rail' Mag's review of track cleaning devices, attaining a 9 out of 10 for effectiveness.

The top model of course was the Dapol vacuum cleaner which does do a good job but, is it ''British''.:)

Hope that helps,

Dave Franks

www.lanarkshiremodels.com

The last time I had to clean the rails on my test track was about 8 months ago. I tried something that I found on an American site, in that I cleaned and then coated the rail top with graphite from a 6b artists pencil.

I am still testing but so far all is well and I have suberb slow running from locos that would not normally run that way.

The last time I had to clean the rails on my test track was about 8 months ago. I tried something that I found on an American site, in that I cleaned and then coated the rail top with graphite from a 6b artists pencil.

I am still testing but so far all is well and I have suberb slow running from locos that would not normally run that way.

It should certainly improve contact, but I would have thought that graphite would make the rails slippery, as it is a good lubricant.

(Just a thought, as I haven't tried it!)

A piece of hardboard, rough side down, is quite effective and, if the edges are chamfered, shouldn't catch in the rails

I don't think you can beat IA. I apply it using cotton buds but I do have a relatively small layout - I think if I had to use this method on a large layout I'd go mad!!

I expect you have seen this product but cheap it isn't! I have only heard good reviews. Several video clips on Youtube.

http://www.dccsuppli...roducts_id=1071

You might find this review of the Dapol track cleaner helpful.

Regards

Archived