Modern Locomotives Illustrated class 31's

birdseyecircus

Seems a good read with a large selection of green era pics.

Paul

Too much green IMO, not enough 3TG/sectorisation pics - only 1 nuclear flask train pic (and a relatively poor one at that), no petroleum sector photos, and no phtos of 31's working drags

Too much green IMO, not enough 3TG/sectorisation pics - only 1 nuclear flask train pic (and a relatively poor one at that), no petroleum sector photos, and no phtos of 31's working drags

Hmm, it sounds like the balance is a bit out of kilter on this one which would be rather unfortunate. I'll have to take a look and make up my own mind before handing over the cash.

G.

Guest Phil

How different people perceive the same product !!!

Now you mention it you are right - about the post blue era but pre "pink and yellow" era, but I was pleased to see green and blue.

My choice of MLIs is based on classic traction ao I have the Sulzer 2s and the EE 4 books, irrespective of content. I looked at a colleagues book on the 56s and commented about it on this forum. My home base is the West Midlands, particularly Bescot and the Black Country. Bescot received it's first few class 31s in the early 1980s, although examples worked into the yards two decades prior. Bescot lost it's last examples nearly 20 years later which means, like a whole host of other places the West Midlands has seen them through the majority of their lives. Sadly there is only one photo of a 31 at Bescot, and that is not even captioned as being at Bescot. There is a shot at Ryecroft which a couple of miles away, and one at New St, these being the sum total of class which brought considerable colour and notoriety through our naming ceremonies at Bescot 31105, 31106, 31107, 31422, 31430, 31568 as well as homes to others named.

The MLI series are good, and I like the photographic reproduction, but content could be so much better in my own opinion.

LaGrange you are right. oddities like 31160 "Pheonix" don't appear to be represented

• RMweb Premium

Picked up a copy yesterday. Not bad, still a few forehead slapping typos creeping in here and there and I agree with those who feel the triple grey era is a little light and that pink monstrosity features way too much!

I was rather hoping for a shot of the BR blue 31 that had the additional yellow cab side window surrounds but unfortunately no sign unless I have missed it!

As I type, MLI "Class 67" has just appeared in the local newsagents!

I feel that the 31 probably deserved a two-parter, the early years, 1957-80? say, then 1981-present. I could have bought part 1, as I seem to fall into the classic traction bracket, and left part 2 alone. That way, a more balanced reporting of the class history, which is certainly a very long one, could be achieved.

I am a little surprised that the 67's have already had an issue, they really haven't had that long a career; bit like issue 17 of LI, "Deltics", in 1978!!

Cheers, Peter C.

Hi Gang;

I too, think that the spread of liveries is a little off target. Where are the depot specials from Bescot, 31160 in it's unique triple grey Distribution and no Hitchin Drag photos...a staple diet for the Class. I would also have like to seen more Moorgate- King's Cross/York Road materiel.

Of course, I could have got off my bum and looked out some Hitchin Drag pics. Must see what the future issues are to see if I can contribute rather than armchir criticise!!!

Later...

STU from EGDL

I feel that the 31 probably deserved a two-parter, the early years, 1957-80? say, then 1981-present. I could have bought part 1, as I seem to fall into the classic traction bracket, and left part 2 alone. That way, a more balanced reporting of the class history, which is certainly a very long one, could be achieved.

I think you've hit the nub of it Peter - just as it is with models, it's difficult to please everybody with a class that's had such a long innings and performed so many varied duties. IIRC the 47s had two MLI issues.

Having browsed this issue twice and left it on the shelf, I dont think it's the lack of green shots per se, just that none of them particularly grabbed me; there were possibly too many early shots of Toffee Apples on the GE.

Archived