Scatter

Folks,

I am completely new to the scenery aspec of railway modelling - previous efforts never made it so far! At the minute I am just putting scatter on a slope which is at about a 45 degree angle. The method I have been using is poster paint on to newspaper and sprinkling the scatter on to it. Seems to work OK but I get very bald patches on my slope through which the paint if very visible.

In some areas I decided to use PVA glue which when used in high quantaties seemed to do quite a good job. The problem I have with that is that it used lots of glue, and that there is no texture to it. I think that the thickness of the paint gives it a certain amount of texture that an unkept bit of land would have - contours.

So, advice on what to do? Is there a way that if the paint doesn't attach to the scatter that it can be sealed in to stop it from coming off whenever I run the hoover over it, or is it pure resillience with it?

Hairspray?!

Thanks in advance!

I can't claim to be an expert but I have been doing some scenic work over the last two years using Woodland Scenics scatters among others and have had some of the same experience. Part of the problem I think is that the scatters are very light and easily bounce of the surface even if coated with glue. I found that dusting with exessive quantities of scatter and then applying finger pressure was quite successful but you need a surplus of scatter so that you don't pick up the glue on your fingers. The excess can be recovered later with a vacuum cleaner (a canister type rather than one with a disposable bag). This is more difficult on steep slopes so I try to make such parts of the scenery off the boards so that I can tip them to the right angle. I have found that it is no good skimping on the PVA but slight dilution makes it go further and helps it spread rather than glob - clearly it mustn't be overdone. My scenery is polystyrene covered in plaster bandage then painted with acrylics or emulsion paint. The plaster bandage sets quite quickly and can be manipulated before it does so to give a texture but applying pollifilla (either insted of the bandage or after it is dry) is more effective.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Harold.

• RMweb Gold

Hair spray works pretty well

Get a strong hold variety

There is a similar discussion on another thread - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37883-modelling-fields/page__p__404163__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=404163

Kind regards

Phil

Thanks for the help. I've been battling on with the paint on the 45 degree angle, and whilst it is a bit thin in places, a bit more scatter should do the job. I will get some good PVA for other areas of the layout as this will no doubt be quicker but definately lacks the texture the paint gives the scatter - but it looks fine at the back of the layout. Hairspray has worked quite well. Hardens up the bushes that I have around the end of the country road etc so they will hopefully be more durable now. Onwards!

• RMweb Gold

You could always use the scenic mats sold from the likes of Green Scene stuck to the slope with neat pva and then use scatters on top for colour variation.I did this on my embankment and it worked quite nicely.Finish with some static fibres as well.

Archived