Cavs Workbench

Hi Cav,

Great work really like the BDA's you've got the colour just right on there planked areas and good choice of PED to do 31461 was a nice loco in plain grey rather than dutch grey actually preferred the 31's without the yellow stripe as there was just to many in this guise! Juicers also looking the dogs chap.

Couple of bits/tips on some of your finished loco pics, the transrail 56's i see you've used fox big T's and small writing now on the 56's the lettering was infact higher under the body grills and bigger two see link below

56047 021096 now precision labels does a very good pack with choice of sizes like you've used the small class 37 style his sheets have the bigger 56 style on and even bigger class 60 style + the downward red strip for the side of doors and one piece big T's much better than foxs 3 piece version.

Also on your sector 60 thou they need cutting down as the white can be a mm over the sector they really need to be behind the body sectors or the two tone grey shows thru like on your model and you also need to cut the downward thin sector to size as it sits almost level with the bottom of the door not further down like on tractors! This is something fox hasn't done even when you ask for class 60 sectors they still need trimming the thin slim downward pieces anyway.

Keep up the good work and how much do you charge to weather and detail a loco i see your customer commented on his model in the post somewere:)

Regards, Rich.

Cheers for the comments Rich. I take on board your comments regarding decals. It really is a minefield. The locos you mentioned were finished using decals I had to hand and the chap I borrowed them from was happy to get a free job done in exchange for the work so wasnt really a problem for him. I tend to be very scrupulous with my own stuff and my dedicated commisions though. Hence the different size petroleum logos on my two 37/7s I did. I will certainly bare in mind the transrail logos you mention though as the fox ones are a real pain to add in 3 different layers. As for weathering and reprays Im pretty reasonable on price but all tend to be job related so if you want a price for something drop me a PM.

Cav

Personally I find Fox Transfers to be very good having used them since I first started repainting locos many years ago. I was interested to hear the comments about the Transrail ones though. I'm yet to try these but there are some in the box ready for my model of 37412.

Cheers

PS: Hows 31461 coming along Cav?

Personally I find Fox Transfers to be very good having used them since I first started repainting locos many years ago. I was interested to hear the comments about the Transrail ones though. I'm yet to try these but there are some in the box ready for my model of 37412.

Cheers

PS: Hows 31461 coming along Cav?

Hi Wayne, yes fox transfers are very good the sectors and bs packs etc... are superb thou you can get sectors from replica and such fox are the best thou you do need to put the backing behind them which needs cutting down slightly 1st or you get a white rimmed sector which looks pritty bad!

Hi Wayne the 31 hasnt progressed much just the yellow on upto now, Im putting the grey on later tonight. Ill post updates though no worries.

Richard I agree that the fox sector symbols are the best but yes the white backing does need a trim. I tend to use fox for all my decals.

Cav

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I want to put a few pics of some 47s that Cav has done recently for me, these look stunning and Cav has really made these individual with new fans and grills, buffer beam and buffer detail and little details like paint chips on the window frames and marks from removed depot plaques.

And a super weathering job to finish.

post-6696-0-58005300-1316346125.jpg

post-6696-0-56684900-1316346127.jpg

post-6696-0-07204300-1316346133.jpg

post-6696-0-78657800-1316346136.jpg

Thanks Cav

Neil

Hello Cav, Very nice to meet you, and other's face to face at Modelrail live on saturday, we had a interesting chat about using a airbrush, in which l said l could get a good decent finish just using my airbrush? well looking at the finish you have achieved without an airbrush is really amazing, and l must concede the airbrush CAN'T do the job you have done on your's, Well done, the airbrush will give you a good overall finish, but your attention to the small detail's certainly make's all the difference.........Regards GeorgeT

Hi George was good to meet you at MRL. Thanks for the support, I very much agree that you can get a decent finish with an airbrush and I do use an airbrush in all of my weatherings. The point I was making was that you need to do more than airbrush if you are aiming for extra realism. The airbrush is invaluable for adding exhaust soot and airbourne track dirt blown up as the train whizzes along. But there needs to be the ground work with washes and detail applied using brush and such before the final tie together of the airbrush applied dirt.

In all an interesting discussion on the day.

Cav

Well after having Richards Crane on Outon Road at MRL. I decided that I need to have something similar in my stock. The truss crane Richard has done is a little large for what I want so as an alternative I thought Id scratchbuild a 1977 cowans sheldon telescopic jib breakdown crane. Anyway heres a couple of pictures of progress so far. The centre two wheelsets are floating in slotted centre frames to allow the wheels to negotiate curved and uneven track.

Cav

post-6894-0-61959900-1316964504_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-71549500-1316964646_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-42020200-1316964785_thumb.jpg

Looking good so far Cav, nice to see some WIP shots as well. I know what you mean about finding it hard to take in progress shots once you get into things, but it's always nice to see what others are up to.

I need to dig out a crane I picked up in the second hand box at the local model shop once. It's an engineers crane not a breakdown/rerailing one, but I need to replace the chassis as it should have a rigid 4 axle frame instead of two bogies.

Keep up the good work. I saw the pic Sandhills took of the 31 too, it looks good.

Cheers

Cheers Wayne. Yes Ill try to post as much as I can with this build. You ought to get some pics on of yours when you do it too. Anyway I managed to do a bit more tonight and I dont think that there is a lot more to do to the main underframe before doing the base coat. Just need to do the hydraulic lifts that double as couplers to the little weight distributing truck type thingies and some bits between the wheels. Heres where its at.

Cav

post-6894-0-72422300-1316988087_thumb.jpg

Well Ive not done much more on the crane however I have now added the swivel and a few more underframe details. I have now come a little unstuck. I had always planned that crane would be fixed in travelling mode all glued up and secure. Now the missus has said dont you think you might regret not making it poseable? Grr Im now not sure. Heres the latest pic, should I make it poseable or is that just a load of unnecessary work for nothing?

Cav

post-6894-0-62897700-1317150555_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the opinion. Much appreciated. Well my plan was to build it fixed in consist mode so that I can tow it around and park it in the sidings etc. Would make life a whole lot easier if I stuck with my plan. In fairness the telescopic jib makes the movable option really difficult to acheive as the cables would have to wind out as the jib is pulled out and then Id have to wind it all back up again as I pushed the jib back in. OMG. It seems like Im favouring the fixed option. Does anyone disagree?

Cav

Hi Cav,

If it were me then I personally would go for the fixed option. It's certainly what I'll be doing with me 15t engineers crane. Although it is nice to have a poseable working crane, one does wonder how often the feature will actually get used.

It seems your other half takes an interest in your modelling with her suggestions/input etc. Whats the secret?

Cheers

I would hardly use it at all to be honest. I think the fixed option is right. The missus playing devils advocate I think. As for the secret, I dont think there is one. I was very suprised myself when she showed interest. Not her thing so both of us thought. I just asked her to help run Outon Road at a few exhibitions and she realised that the hobby isnt just the stereotypes that outsiders think haha.

Cav

I agree and my plans are now back on track so to speak with the fixed option.

What you need to do about the missus Neil is build a layout that takes 2 operators and ask her to help you haha. Worked for me!!

Cav

• 8 months later...

Hi. I appreciate this is an old thread, but I am starting to weather my rake of BDA's, and came across your thread whilst on the hunt for pictures. I really like the effect you have created with your wooden decking, I am wondering if you still happen to have the original pictures of the wagons You worked from? Good detail/colour reference pics are very difficult to find.

Lee.

Just done my Bachmann 85 which ran at DEMU. Not got many pictures of much else. Heres some completions shots of the 86 and 31 to finish those off and a couple on the 85 and 87101.

post-6894-0-88102400-1339961323_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-90312500-1329041154_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-22654800-1337807770_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-94143000-1337807458_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-38853500-1337807381_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-06061100-1337807319_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-85756500-1338240880_thumb.jpg

Cav

• 4 months later...

Just a quick photo of an 08 on my workbench which I'm currently doing for johndon of this parish. Liking the way its turning out so thought I'd post a quick progress shot. Still some more to do but defo taking shape!

post-6894-0-38385600-1351123743.jpg

Cav

Archived