Cavs Workbench

Cheers guys.

For the BDAs I used railfreight grey very dry brushedonto the decks. In fact almost scrubbed on with the brush. You dont wanna use a new brush for this. Then with a stiffer brush work it along the planks to orient any strokes with the woods grain. There is none on the Bachmann wood so this kinda creates some. The who aim is to get a random coverage with no brush strokes. Takes a bit of work. Then with a bit more paint on pick out random planks to vary the degree of colour. Once dry i then used a rusty coloured acrylic paint to pick out the odd plank here and there and then again very dry brushed this colour into the corners where the wood contacts the metal giving the impression of rust leaching to the wood due to damp wiod in contact with the metal.

Cheers

Cav

Well heres a rare sight. Me weathering a kettle haha. What you you think?

post-6894-0-72195100-1307553004_thumb.jpg

sorry if the picture quality is bad but lighting was poor and it was taken on my phone

cheers

Cav

Thanks much appreiciated. I too love all of the locos you have mentioned above. Sadly only the 37 is mine (together with its sister 37712) the 31 and the 60 being borrowed locos that I have detailed and weathered in return for borrowing them. Both of those locos are sound fitted and will be in the line up for demu on saturday. The full team for there is 20059 in railfreight grey 31282 railfreight grey 37097 br blue 37707 petroleum 37712 petroleum 47210 distribution 47353 civil engineers 47811 large logo blue 60050 metals and of course outon roads resident shunter 08915 in triple grey. Passenger services are dealt with by 150148.

Cheers

Cav

Cheers pillar. I would definately give the vitrains 37 a go. I was always a little unconvinced about the loco before but it was always the front windows that botheted me. With this conversion its solved all of my woes. I now love them.

Cav

• 3 weeks later...

Yes they are James. Bit pricey and tbh i would have happily had none sprung but i am impatient and thats all they had in stock haha.

pretty good though.

Cav

Hi Cav, Absolutely stunning work as always. Certainly something for the rest of us mere mortals to aim for!

Can i ask... Regarding masking off locos for repainting what do you use? And is there any particular technique for spraying over ribbed/ raised areas as you seem to get remarkably clear lines yet on my varying attempts nothing works and get a softer line.

But as i say absolutely brilliant. Thanks for sharing, Scott.

Hi Scott cheers for the comnents. To answer your questions I always without fail use tamiya tape, nothing else comes close and Ive tried many. The key to masking difficult areas is to get the tape to follow the contours of the body as you put it on rather than trying to push it in after. You dont want to be trying to stretch the tape into recesses. The action is to feed it in as you progress across the body. Any small gaps can then be sealed with a spot of maskol if you cant get it to go fully. I have to admit I rarely do that though as any slight softening of edges in say handrail recesses are usually weathered out in any case even on ex works locos where I would anyways suggest false shadow work in any case.

Cav

Hi Cav,

Some really nice work here, I really like the BDA wagons. They put my Cambrian built ones to shame. As good as the Bachmann model is, I still think the Camrian version has it's merits. Even if it is a little tricky with the sides being in four halves.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Personally I like cambrian kits. theres nothing quite like building your own stock. I have a cambrian shark and i wouldnt change it for the world. Im not 100% happy yet with the bdas but they are ok for the time being. I think im going to change the load stays to something higher i think.

Cheers

Cav

Personally I like cambrian kits. theres nothing quite like building your own stock. I have a cambrian shark and i wouldnt change it for the world.

Too true!

I have quite a lot of Cambrian built stock, My 10 wagon rake of BAA/BBA loaded with steel coils certainly catches a few eyes at our club open days for the public.

I personally the BDAs are looking good.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers pillar Im still working on her. Front windows in now just the side ones to do. Then the pan.

Anyway the next addition to the bench is a class 31. The first mistake was buying a skinhead loco. In my time period of 1993/1994 Im a bit limited to liveries for this. They all seem to be dutch! I didnt want mine dutch. It started as railfreight grey 31105 but that livery wasnt an option for a skinhead at the time. In an effort to be different I found 31 461 in departmental grey. Perfect.

To make the loco into 461 I needed to add the fan cowl to the roof high intensity headlights to the cab fronts and radio pods to the roof. Heres where shes at after priming.

post-6894-0-27692100-1311195751_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-03437200-1311195804_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-33981400-1311195861_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Cav

Oh I dont know about that Neil, I'm currently doing the 86's windows and whilst looking fantastic they are very fiddly (or should I say time consuming) to do, it took me a whole night last night to do the 6 front windows. The other issue is that the beading is on the glazing on the 31 rather than on the body like the 86 and the 37. I'm not sure it will work the same. Comments welcome.

Cav

Hi Cav,

The 31 is looking good so far. Could I ask who makes the radio pods? I need to get one for my model of 09105.

Also if you're interested I've posted up a pic of one of my models. You'll find it in my recently started gallery, it's of my model of 37012.

Cheers

Despite the lack of beading new glazing looks fine I think - certainly in the departmental grey the black window surrounds disguise the fact. As a toss up between the missing beading and thick moulded glazing I think the new windows would win hands down.

On my recent Class 31 I took this same view -

http://eastmoor.blogspot.com/2010/11/project-31-finale.html

If you wanted you could easily add beading with micro rod.

I think your right James I reckon Im just trying to convince myself I dont need to to save me a job haha. More fun with styrene sheet then it seems. Your 31 looks very good I may add. Always liked them as a loco, probably as we used to get loads on all manner of services in Chesterfield when I was growing up.

As for the roof radio pods Wayne they are scratch built from some spare etched brass I had left over from a kit. I didnt realise 31461 had them until I was looking up pictures last night. They are not 100% accurate but very much good enough I feel.

More fun with styrene sheet then it seems.

:lol:

Once you've done twenty or so it gets easier! The Class 37/40 shapes are the worse but the 31 isn't too bad. But the whole process is why I welcome Brian Hanson's Lazerglaze with open arms!

Your 31 looks very good I may add.

Thank you :)

Always liked them as a loco, probably as we used to get loads on all manner of services in Chesterfield when I was growing up.

For me I remeber them in their last 'proper' days (before they ended up pottering about on NWR yellow coaches) on the South Bank when they were still working off Immingham, as well as trips over to the North West.

I dont welcome the prices though! That said they are very good. I have a set in my Vitrains 47 now. And Im a bit of a skinflint!

The 31s I remember best were in the late 80s through Chezzy, we used to get them on passenger services, parcels and freight. Those were the days.

Archived