Ultility Vans and baggage vans

Well it's more of an enquiry, with a renewed interest in the southern region in year. What is available RTR and kit form for for Ultility vans.

I know there is:-

Hornby Van C or BY

Dapol CCT

Hornby SR Ultlity (Tri-ang)

Ratio Van B

Various Parkside

I know with these there are pitfulls but what is wrong with them, I know the Dapol model is old as the hills but what can be done to improve these? The Hornby bogie Van can be improved with Roxey stuff.

So if anyone has a keen eye on these things could they give advice on how to improve some of the RTR models :help:

• RMweb Gold

The Roxey kit for the Hornby luggage van is about £20. I'm sure it's good - but the elderly Hornby (nee Tri-ang) vehicle resembles its prototype sufficiently to be unmistakeable. Changing the bogies might be a start, and putting Roxey grilles inside in place of the Hornby version helps.

Parkside PMV and CCT are relatively easy to build - but putting the Roxey grilles in them helps, too. The BY from Hornby is so good that you'd need to be very dedicated to want to built one instead, although the Parkside kit is several £ cheaper. Either way - Roxey grilles needed.

Ratio Van B has a lot of bits of brass - handles etc, - so is the sort of vehicle you complete to your level of modelling proficiency, but, guess what, it doesn't include the grilles - see Roxey again.

I believe the Dapol van to be a heritage vehicle from centuries past. Not bad, but not as good as Hornby or a well-made Parkside.

A good reference source will help you determine just how any of these vehicles should look, and enable you to add sufficient detail to suit your requirements. I have found Mike King's "Southern Coaches" is good enough on the NPCCS for my needs.

Archived