12v DC power supply

hi,

I am looking to install some Berko 00 gauge colour light signals to my layout, but it says they run on 12v DC. I operate a gaugemaster series E controller and this only has a 16v AC accessory supply. I dont want to have to buy another controller just to use the 12v DC from it...

Does anyone know if i can buy a power supply or power 'pack' to power my signals?

help is greatly appreciated!

Jon

Mobile phone charger - check the label first.

You could buy a rectifier from such as Maplins, or an electrical supplier at your local exhibition, it will convert 16V AC to about 12V DC.

oh right, not too keen with electrics so wont be messing with phone chargers!

but i like the idea of the rectifier, having looked on the website, guessing i just plug my 16v Ac in one end and then link the other end to my signals/ switches?

• RMweb Gold

I have an old Netgear Router which I no longer use. Its power supply output is 12 volts DC at 1 Amp. Works like a charm with my Traintronics signals.

There are loads of similar ones on Ebay such as this - 12-volt DC Power Supply

Or just search on Ebay with 12v DC

oh right, not too keen with electrics so wont be messing with phone chargers!

So long as the label states 12V DC then it can be used the same as the transformer you already have

Remove the attachment and wire into a terminal block

The difference is minimal

• RMweb Premium

And rated at 1.5amps, is that right?

All for £4.90 incl p&p.

No wonder 27 have been sold already

2A for an extra quid here:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UK-12V-2A-AC-DC-Power-Supply-Adapter-Charger-LED-/150567261267?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D150595278284%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D360572117853109388

The one word of caution I would say is that some types of cheapo power supplies have vary poor regulation, that is when supplying a few mA of current the output voltage may well be 14-15V, when supplying 1.5A it could drop to 9V or below. This can confuse the hell out of some electronic devices, although it probably wouldn't be a problem for the sort of applications we're talking about in this thread.

Worth a punt at these prices IMHO.

I have been collecting DC power supplies for a few years now, anything from phone chargers, printer power supplies etc, I have a range from 3V to 12V although my most useful one is a switchable from 1.5V to 12V with a range of plugs that I got from Tandy when they were still around.

Just read the label to check the voltage and amps and that it is a DC one as there are some AC ones around.

2A for an extra quid here:- http://cgi.ebay.co.u...572117853109388 The one word of caution I would say is that some types of cheapo power supplies have vary poor regulation, that is when supplying a few mA of current the output voltage may well be 14-15V, when supplying 1.5A it could drop to 9V or below. .....

I admit I look for as high a Amp output as possible and then probably only use < 20% of that rating max, I just feel more comfortable like that, rather than running something close to the limit for extended periods (not hours, but say minutes or even seconds). 2 amps, that should cope with most accessories I have with plenty of margin.

• RMweb Premium

I admit I look for as high a Amp output as possible and then probably only use < 20% of that rating max, I just feel more comfortable like that

A very wise strategy, particularly at the cheapie end of the market.

Archived