Brick Retaining Walls - Kit?

• RMweb Premium

Please shift if in the wrong area - not sure whether this was a "scratch and kit" question, or a "scenery and structures".

I would like to make a long retaining wall with buttresses or arches - 4 track mainline running above, and the wall/arches acting as a back drop to the yards below.

Is there a Metcalfe or Superquick kit for making such walls - probably about 9cm tall. No need to make "lockups" or stores in it - just plain buttressed wall.

I have downloaded the Scalescenes version, but I'm not particularly good at making their kits ( brilliant as they are - I don't have great manual dexterity or the right amount of patience - I left both of those in Afghanistan). I can still make Metcalfe/Superquicks tho.

I have (Superquick ?)printed brick paper retaining walls but they are so obviously 2d.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. They look to be the right thing.

How long is one section of 4 arches? (I have looked at all the websites offering them for sale and no info present in each case)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. They look to be the right thing.

How long is one section of 4 arches? (I have looked at all the websites offering them for sale and no info present in each case)

I've seen it quoted somewhere, probably in a magazine ad. I've checked an old box that they came in but could not find anything. They are about 20 cms per arch.

• RMweb Premium

International; Models ones seem good for straight sections, but they are 10mm thick! No chance of using those on curves without applying some heat.

This morning I picked up two Wills wall and arch kits. All seems well, but neither have the pillars and stone caps for the parapet walls. The parapet walls and capping for the straight sections is there. Is this a separate kit?:help:

Thanks.

International; Models ones seem good for straight sections, but they are 10mm thick! No chance of using those on curves without applying some heat.

They are on a thick foam backing so will bend a little.

Nick

This morning I picked up two Wills wall and arch kits. All seems well, but neither have the pillars and stone caps for the parapet walls. The parapet walls and capping for the straight sections is there. Is this a separate kit?:help:

Thanks.

I used 2 Wills kits (SS52), mine were both complete with piers, capping strip and capstones, and went together nicely,

for a first kit attempt in 30 years.

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

Thats how the kit comes. If you read the instructions it will become clear.

• RMweb Premium

Thats how the kit comes. If you read the instructions it will become clear.

I have just re-read them with the 2 kits laid out and nothing has become clear other than I think I am missing (2 times) four sets of sprues with the parapet

I used 2 Wills kits (SS52), mine were both complete with piers, capping strip and capstones, and went together nicely,

for a first kit attempt in 30 years.

cheers

Were the piers and the caps and the spacers on a separate sprue?

All I have are 4 x 3 Sprues/sheets per box One with the arch and fillers, one with the in-fill (brick or doors) and the third is the parapet sides and tops with a brick fill line to join the parapet with the main arch.

• RMweb Premium

I have just spoken to the Technical desk at Wills/Ratio/Peco and the chap there could not have been more helpful.

I am indeed unlucky enough to have the pier sections missing out of both kits - they come on separate sprues.

Very very helpful with advice on forming these into a curve as well too.

Big pat on the back to Wills/Ratio/Peco :yes:

UPDATE - the missing sections arrived in the post at 9 this morning - 2 days after the call. Many thanks and well done to Peco/Wills/Ratio.

• RMweb Premium

The parapet walls come as a separate kit as well, with all the bits necessary to fit them to the arches or as a free standing item. You will find that some Wills kits have extra bits on some sprues as many parts are common to more than one kit.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tip on the parapet walls. I was wondering how to "fence off" the far side of the tracks before the backscene.

Odd that they come in sections of 2 when the arch kits come in packs of 4.

Never mind. Ordered 4 of these to go with the 2 arch kits.

Archived