steve fay

• RMweb Gold

As a boy I used to think it would be interesting to live in one of those houses. Now I would miss the garden and the hills. Also I can hear steam engines from my garden not many at Raneleagh now. Interesting modelling project though.

Don

Pete Thompson has already designed it for laser cutting, this is a 30's box the later ARP boxes Came in during the war, funnily enough that's exactly what I need for severn tunnel east so a kit will be available quite soon

I need a 3 bay window type but it would be quite easy to make it a 4 bay or bigger

Edited by steve fay

Hi Steve,

If a kit does become available I would be interested in one, perhaps you can tip me off if it happens, Interestingly I have just been looking at some photos of Swansea's equivilent of Ranelagh Bridge, the old turntable and sidings down behind Platform 5(now Plat 4). I would make an interesting 7mm diorama if I had the skills.

Ian

• Like 1

Keep an eye on the severn tunnel thread mate we will have one done in the near future

Skills come with trying mate, just keep at it, you will be on the exhibition curcuit with Swansea high street turn table soon enough !!

Edited by steve fay

• RMweb Gold

A skill is something you learn, talent is the ability to do something well. You learn the skills and find out how much talent you have. Most of us have enough talent to achieve an acceptable result with sufficient application. The ones with real talent just make it look easy.

Don

I remember a conversation at a show down west, years ago...

"Oh, that's beautiful, may I have a look?",

Yes, but be careful

"Oh thanks, I wish I had the patience to make something that good"

What about the skills? (Somewhat irate/sarcastic)

"Ah, if I had the patience to make ten lousy ones, and keep trying, I'm sure I'd make one that good eventually..."

• Like 1

For those who are interested this photo has been lifted from Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered V from Strathwood.

Thanks I shall grab a copy of this book

If any copyright has been infringed I will gladly take the picture down, I get sent pictures all the time not knowing the origins

I would like a copy of any book that has pictures of Ranelagh Bridge in it.

Edited by steve fay

• RMweb Gold

Thanks I shall grab a copy of this book

If any copyright has been infringed I will gladly take the picture down, I get sent pictures all the time not knowing the origins

I would like a copy of any book that has pictures of Ranelagh Bridge in it.

Not a problem this time, but you might like the other shot of Ranelagh Bridge which is also in the same book.

Kevin

WOW! JUst searched those books, Falcon is on the front of volume 1, Kestrel on Vol II, Lion on Vol III, and DP2 on Vol IV, with the prototype Deltic on Vol V as shown above.....

But at around £30 a pop, it might be a while before I can afford them.......

The red aspect should be around about 12ft 6ins from rail level

Sorry to say but that sounds a bit on the low side, as when you look at the photo of the three aspect signal behind the train the bottom aspect is above the coach roof, so that would have to be more than 12'6" to show above the coach roof.

So I would think that the bottom aspect should be about 14'6" above rail level.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

The bottom of the stiles on the ladder are about half a rung spacing below rail level. With the ladder at an angle 9in vertical spacing seems reasonable . So I get about 9ft 6 to the platform and about 3ft to the bottom aspect which agrees with Mike's statement. Perhaps a simple mock up tried against a train would be worthwhile. Based on the maxim 'If it looks right no one will say its wrong'

Don

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to say but that sounds a bit on the low side, as when you look at the photo of the three aspect signal behind the train the bottom aspect is above the coach roof, so that would have to be more than 12'6" to show above the coach roof.

So I would think that the bottom aspect should be about 14'6" above rail level.

OzzyO.

The WR standard for colour light signals mounted on a straight post was to have the red aspect 12ft 6ins above rail level (and 17ft 6ins for signals mounted on brackets and gantries.  The pre-war signals seem to have been more variable but many of them were mounted on semaphore signals structure and there seems to have been little standardisation of new posts - e.g the one in the pic appears to be a standard tubular steel bracket doll complete with finial.  The drawing allegedly for the 'new standard' signals on the E&C lines shows a similar post but with a cap instead of a finial and a height of 12ft above rail for the red aspect however at least one signal with a stencil route indicator was taller but it employed a different arrangement of the post.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for my order from C&L!!

I've just orderd some nice ballast from Dapol, it's the O gauge stuff and looks very good. I've been told it's the same stuff Slaters used to do.

I want the flat bottom rail Main line to have more of a freshly laid look.