steve fay

No that's fine I welcome your input, I did think that! I've mounted them ditectly over the original lights as I really don't want to move the bulbs.

The lamp brackets are off set, I think I will pop them in place and see how they look. The other thing is the PRMRP marker lights might be a little over scale. post-5983-0-23048000-1463747121_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Im not sure it actually makes any difference - I only looked at all because I'd never noticed the different type of lights until you mentioned it! Really it's the windscreens and head code that make up the face.

post-5983-0-10819200-1463939385_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-25288900-1463939654_thumb.jpeg

Sunday afternoon scraping and cutting!! Still plenty of cleaning up to do. The plasticard strip once glued in place will be trimmed flush, I've chosen a slightly thicker plastic so it's a bit more noticeable after all the work it's taken!!

• Like 5

post-5983-0-13513200-1463952617_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-03832000-1463952635_thumb.jpeg

Last bit on the warships this evening, filled and sanded the vent on D806.

A little detail I hadn't noticed until I looked on the DJH diagram, The rain strip above the door needs to be removed on D845 so out with a sharp blade for a close shave!!

I did check prototype pictures first!!

• Like 5

post-5983-0-20065700-1464017728_thumb.jpeg

I've been sanding the bodies today removing any imperfections left over after stripping. I've actually done some assembly on D845 with the skirts being reattached after painting using halfords Land Rover green. It's a lovely finish, I hope the body comes out as good.

I've placed an order for some pipes and roof loops from JLTRT. I think I will add some of the CPL diesel couplings to all 3 warships.

• Like 8

Filler is drying on the front of D806, the 4 character head code is now no more!! A little more filler on the roof of D845 and I've decided to fill in the lamp bracket holes and reposition them slightly to the left.

I've also filed down the doors on the skirt on one side and cut new ones out of plaster card again for D806. I then sanded them down smooth. I will add the brackets etc tomorrow then it can have a blast of undercoat.

Lastly for today I've given the buffer a coat of red on D845.

Edited by steve fay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Extra front hand rail bracket. D845 will have the white masked off before the green goes on. attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hi Steve,

Very nice work, may I ask if you stripped the model back to bare plastic or repainted primer straight over the top of the Heljan top-coat?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Thanks Steve, that is indeed, 'best practice', although some get away with a rub over with ultra-fine W&D paper or scothbright type pads.

May I also ask; do you use Phoenix paint stripper - I have found that it does a good job but can take its time?

ATVB

CME 

Hi CME,

If you look back here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38539-ranelagh-bridge-west-london-stabling-point/?p=2310514

Hopefully that should take you to post #1225 where Steve take's you through a blow by blow account.

HTH

Cheers

Lee