Hornby 14xx

darren01

Hi All

I see Hornby have brought out again the 14xx as i had an email sent to me about it, But at £149.99 RRP huh.gif

for an old 30 year old Airfix body is a bit much in my book .

Who comes up with these prices blink.gif.

Darren

• RMweb Premium

But thinking about it, I suppose mine will have cost that amount when I've built and detailed it, but that does include a new chassis and motor. But please don't anyone hold their breath.

Don't worry John, I'm right behind you. I have a box or two full of 14xx bits, just need to find that 'round tuit". :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

They can be picked up for around £30 at a lot of places, even if you spent another £30 on a decent detailing kit it would be worth it. £150!! little wonder Hornby are posting poor results!!

• RMweb Gold

They can be picked up for around £30 at a lot of places, even if you spent another £30 on a decent detailing kit it would be worth it. £150!! little wonder Hornby are posting poor results!!

Well that is my view. I purchased the Mainly Train's detailing kit, along with some other bits and bobs such as fire irons, lamps and a crew just for body detailing, then a Comet chassis, motor and wheels for a P4 conversion. It came in at around £60 and I'm still happy to pay that to get a decent looking model.

Kind regards,

But Hornby are not charging £150! The only place this is stated is in an un-sourced comment at the start of this thread. All the evidence shown here is that the RRP is nearer half this amount.

• RMweb Gold

Why let the facts stand in the way of a good rant? :unsure:

I do enjoy a good rant now and again Nick! ;)

Anyway I did a bit of pricing this afternoon thought chaps might be interested. This is perhaps a version of pimp my loco!! I don't worry how much my modelling costs me, after all I'll never get rid of my locos and they give me hours, well years of pleasure.

Taking into account that I already have the body so that saves we'll say £30 for rough figures.

Comet Chassis £16

Motor (Mashima 1020) £14.50

Gearbox GB5 £16.50

P4 Spaces £ 3.00

Wheels (Ultrascale) £39.38

MT Detailing Kit £14.95

Sprung Buffers £5.00

Hand rail Pillars £6.65

Lamp brackets £3.95

Crew (Dartcastings) £2.00

Number Plate (247 deve) £3.50

Lamps £5.95

Fire Irons £3.75

Total £135.13

Parts quoted from Comet, Mainly Trains, Dart Castings and Ultrascale. High Level site was down, but I think their 14xx chassis with motor and gearbox is £48?

Anyway might be interesting to some one, (Still a lot cheaper than the handbag the Mrs' bought last week in France! :laugh: ;))

Regards,

Nick

Total £135.13

Well, mine has a HighLevel chassis, Ultrascales were a few quid less when I bought them, and the body cost me about £15. I did save a bit by making my own lamp brackets and not fitting any lamps or crew (yet). Good job I didn't do the sums before I started :blink: Mind you, I think the result is a little better than the basic Hornby offering, whatever they charge for it.

Nick

ps. you left out a few inches of handrail wire and you'll have a few knobs left over at the if the carpet doesn't eat them all ;)

Interesting that the High level option is a couple of £'s cheaper than the Comet at £48 (Comet £50). Surprised you went for such a small motor though Nick, High Level one has a 1624 in it!

I was rather lucky to get my Ultrascales for my 14xx off eBay at £5 before lots of people cottoned on to using it!

If you use Gibson wheels many kits are new starting to be more competitive against RTR prices but labour and painting aren't taken into account..

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that the High level option is a couple of £'s cheaper than the Comet at £48 (Comet £50). Surprised you went for such a small motor though Nick, High Level one has a 1624 in it!

Indeed. It's generally good practice to fit the largest motor you can, commensurate with any other issues such as providing sufficient weight in the loco body, possible flywheel installation etc.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. It's generally good practice to fit the largest motor you can, commensurate with any other issues such as providing sufficient weight in the loco body, possible flywheel installation etc.

I haven't bought it! Just pricing it out!

Regards,

• RMweb Gold

I haven't bought it! Just pricing it out!

Well, that was well-timed, then!

You too, can benefit from this useful advice!

Well quite. Like I said I would have used the High Level chassis as an example, but the site was down at the time. However I have checked now and my memory is clearly working as it is indeed £48!

• RMweb Gold

Hi All

I see Hornby have brought out again the 14xx as i had an email sent to me about it, But at £149.99 RRP huh.gif

for an old 30 year old Airfix body is a bit much in my book .

Who comes up with these prices blink.gif.

Darren

Just out of curiousity, who quoted £149.99... ?

I'm not sure where Darren got the price from Coach, but I've just been on the Hornby site and the price is quoted as £70.49 with £4.95pp.

Regards,

Nick.

Archived