Foxcote New Pit - formerly Highbury Colliery

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

It's the same name Jerry, there is at least a slim connection?

It's a combination of this  https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=coleford+somerset&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487228cc3f9130a3:0xe3374b365e321dca,Coleford,+Somerset&gl=uk&ei=v8eoUtesH-Pd7QbUuoGACg&ved=0CL0BELYD

and this http://www.warminsterhighburyyouth.com/

Highbury is a hamlet on the eastern edge of Coleford in Somerset. Just to the north of Highbury on the Google map is the sight of MacIntosh colliery which is now little more than a mound and just to the east of that is Newbury colliery, many of the buildings remain including the former beam engine and boiler house. The route of the Newbury Railway can be traced heading east past Vobster Quarry, Mells Colliery and on to Mells Road on the former Bristol and North Somerset Railway. I lifted the name of Highbury but the location and general look is based loosely on Camerton.

My son played for Highbury Youth from the age of six to sixteen.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

After something in the region of seventy odd shows I have decided that, other than the odd local show or 2mm event, Highbury is to be retired this year. Its final show will be Warley in November where it will be run in its early seventies mode - commemorating forty years (well forty one actually!) since the last coal was mined in Somerset. To that end I am putting together some appropriate stock ( there will be an early 70s layout further down the line), some of which we see below. 

The Sharks are from the N gauge Society kit on an Association chassis. The Mermaids and Catfish are from the brilliant Stephen Harris kits. I can't praise these enough - they are a joy to build and result in lovely little models, I will be adding a couple more if time permits. All of them are looking a bit pristine and will be receiving a coat of grot. 

post-1074-0-44095000-1393015364_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-53576200-1393015382_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-64595400-1393015394_thumb.jpg

As well as the ballast train above I want a train with recovered materials from track lifting, brake van specials and the odd DMU charter - plus of course as many inappropriate visitors as we can get!!

Jerry

• Like 11

After something in the region of seventy odd shows I have decided that, other than the odd local show or 2mm event, Highbury is to be retired this year. Its final show will be Warley in November where it will be run in its early seventies mode

Jerry

What will become of Highbury, will it be sold on, kept fondly or buildings and other parts re-used in future layouts?

• RMweb Gold

Very nice wagons Jerry - I too have some of the SH catfish/dogfish/mermaids to make up and that has inspired me to hunt down and open the gloat box.

Understood with Highbury...its a tremendous layout, always a joy to watch and if it retires paving the way for the 70's blue Warminster layout...then who am I to complain about that :D

• RMweb Gold

Very nice wagons Jerry - I too have some of the SH catfish/dogfish/mermaids to make up and that has inspired me to hunt down and open the gloat box.

Understood with Highbury...its a tremendous layout, always a joy to watch and if it retires paving the way for the 70's blue Warminster layout...then who am I to complain about that :D

Thanks Pete, get those Stephen H wagons out - they really are a joy. They are quite involved but wonderfully designed and everything just fits.

Warminster is still on the back burner although it would be a fair bit bigger than my normal 4'6" scenic footprint. I am booked up with Tucking Mill for the next couple of years and am continuing work on Bath. I have also been sketching out some plans for something completely different for me - but very close to your heart - which would be on the 4'6" footprint or possibly smaller.

Jerry 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, didn't we have a lovely time the day we went to Abingdon.........Well how could you not really - a cracking show, very friendly host club, Missy Julia demonstrating next door ably supported by the rest of the 2mm area group and Tom E, Rich Brummit and Mark Fielder to help us out on Highbury.

As usual during the day, as well as the regular traffic, Highbury played host to a few interlopers.........

We have had all sorts of visitors on the NSLR but I think we excelled ourselves with this, our first turbo prop example. Once the prop got up to full speed it charged across the front in great style although those flanges bouncing on the sleepers did provide a bit of added friction which held the top speed back a little. It makes the Shay look sensible!!

post-1074-0-32478800-1393967175_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-98538400-1393967189_thumb.jpg

Equally quirky but far more prototypically feasible was Mark Fielder's unfinished but fabulous little Aveling and Porter which was a terrific performer thanks to the modified Nigel Lawton mechanism under the box van. This latter is a temporary measure until something more suitable is built - either a coach or (my favourite) a cut down coal wagon with a tank/barrel to form a tender.

post-1074-0-71388900-1393967213_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-70888900-1393967242_thumb.jpg

More orthadox but also an excellent performer was Rich Brummit's 22xx utilising the Peco body, Ixion tender and Association chassis.

post-1074-0-25414700-1393967264_thumb.jpg

Finally, the icing on the cake was the award of best visiting layout, presented by local Tory MP Nicola Blackwood. I thought the dress code displaying our respective political allegiances was a nice touch :sungum:

post-1074-0-95398800-1393967159_thumb.jpg

Jerry 

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 19

The crew of No.72 captured making a brew and taking out their snap whilst waiting for the wagons t be exchanged by the colliery engine.

post-8031-0-96119600-1394059222_thumb.jpg

Works better than that green plastic bodied thing and the finish is so crisp, as this cruel close up demonstrates.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The crew of No.72 captured making a brew and taking out their snap whilst waiting for the wagons t be exchanged by the colliery engine.

attachicon.gifIMG_0656.JPG

Works better than that green plastic bodied thing and the finish is so crisp, as this cruel close up demonstrates.

Bulldog No. 72 was built and painted by the late Denys Brownlee. I added a crew and put a new motor in it (open frame Tenshodo) about six or seven years ago when the original died. As Richard says it is a superb performer and a testament to Denys's skills.

Jerry 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

though back to trains I do think the S&D Prussian(?) Blue is one of the finest liveries ever to grace a locomotive engine :)

The colour used on 72, and my other S&D engines is a shade or two lighter than true  prussian blue - a nod to scale colour. Prussian blue, as used by the S&D, was very dark, Ahrons described it as a blue/black akin to indian ink. That said, I fully agree Mickey, S&D blue is a fine colour for an engine - only matched by Midland red.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Equally quirky but far more prototypically feasible was Mark Fielder's unfinished but fabulous little Aveling and Porter which was a terrific performer thanks to the modified Nigel Lawton mechanism under the box van. This latter is a temporary measure until something more suitable is built - either a coach or (my favourite) a cut down coal wagon with a tank/barrel to form a tender.

attachicon.gifIMG_3969a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3973a.jpg

Point taken, Jerry!

post-7249-0-98263700-1395493989_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-07487500-1395494014_thumb.jpg

I've used a Peco RCH wagon kit, which is a quite excellent little moulding.

The motor will be covered by a water tank and there will be some coal in the wagon by the tank, plus a few tools, oil cans etc.

Mark

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Point taken, Jerry!

attachicon.gifP3221597a.JPG

attachicon.gifP3221595a.JPG

I've used a Peco RCH wagon kit, which is a quite excellent little moulding.

The motor will be covered by a water tank and there will be some coal in the wagon by the tank, plus a few tools, oil cans etc.

Mark

Brilliant stuff. Makes you realise just how small the Aveling is.

Jerry