Foxcote New Pit - formerly Highbury Colliery

queensquare

Great photos Jerry - I lurve the Spitfire shot!

I can't claim the building of the B12- It was crafted by the late Geoff Balfour- my input was to build a working chassis, finish a few final bits'n'bobs, and Ian Rathbone kindly painted the model. It does look magnificent though. :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Great photos Jerry - I lurve the Spitfire shot!

I can't claim the building of the B12- It was crafted by the late Geoff Balfour- my input was to build a working chassis, finish a few final bits'n'bobs, and Ian Rathbone kindly painted the model. It does look magnificent though. :locomotive:

Many thanks for the info. I knew it had a backstory but couldn't remember what it was.

Jerry

Just in case anyone out there is interested, the two ex Great Central locos are the work of John Greenwood. I was never going to get the time to build them myself and John's locos are a joy to own. I asked my family to chip in towards CXhristmas presents. I'd rather have this one small, delightful object than half a dozen packs of Homer Simpson underpants and matching handkerchiefs or whatever. I have this vague long term plan of doing MSW electric locos in black to run alongside them. You don't see many steam/electric models around. The Q4 0-8-0 was a Barnsley engine in the late 40's/early 50s (strictly speaking all had gone by the time the MSW system was energised) used mostly for colliery trip work while the 04 2-8-0 was a Mexborough engine - the MSW 'Tommies' did a lot to put it and its fellow 'Mexborough Pacifics' out of work. With Jerry's indulgence, next time we might try a passenger engne.....

Alan

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

More than happy to indulge. We will meet up again in May at Railex. Wenfordbridge is DCC............

Jerry

I'm sure Alan won't mind an loco swap or two 😃

I had better get them both finished

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Mr.S.corn78

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well fact can sometimes be stranger than fiction. This evening, whilst looking for something else, I came across a picture and some notes by the late Rev Alan Newman. It turns out that during the war B12 4-6-0 8549 was stabled at Templecombe along with an ambulance train and complete LNER crew. The B12's were evidently popular for these duties due to their wide route availability. In the days following D-Day in June 1944 B12s 8525 and 8549 were both noted at Bath having brought ambulance trains up from the south coast over the S&D.

So, the sight of this green beauty in North Somerset is not as far fetched as I first thought and I therefore feel justified in posting another shot of her from York!

post-1074-0-76994100-1336594991_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A short rake of stone wagons I have just made for John Greenwood. They are destined for Wenfordbridge and the traffic from DeLank quarry - two empty, two loaded.

They are fairly straightforward scratchbuilds in plasticard with underframes from 2mm Association bits.

post-1074-0-49032300-1338538010_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry

What is the stone? (he asks expecting the answer "stone")

Richard

Morning Richard,

its some kind of soap stone I think. I converted some Z gauge bolster wagons into Nn3 coaches some years ago for a customer and these were the load - being a shocking hoarder I kept them! I have a couple left for use in some similar wagons I have built (not painted yet) for an off stage quarry on Tucking Mill.

Jerry

• Like 1

Morning Richard,

its some kind of soap stone I think. I converted some Z gauge bolster wagons into Nn3 coaches some years ago for a customer and these were the load - being a shocking hoarder I kept them! I have a couple left for use in some similar wagons I have built (not painted yet) for an off stage quarry on Tucking Mill.

Jerry

It looks more like sandstone than soapstone - possibly chippings from a quarry or builders merchant? If it is sandstone then by gently running the back of your fingernail over the stone it will feel rough and gritty - soapstone would feel much smoother.

Mike

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

With one thing and another, mainly related to Tucking Mill, I've not posted on here for some time so I thought I should make the effort to put up a few snaps that I took at last weekends Wycrail exhibition where a fine time was had by all - many thanks to all at the High Wycombe club for looking after us so well.

Mark Fielder came along to help operate for the day and brought some of his superb stock to play with which, compared to the sort of guests we normaly get in North Somerset, looked very much at home. The Peckett, Sentinel and steam railcar all performed faultlessly, I'll let Mark give more details of their origins. The Sentinel in particular reminded me that I really ought to get my finger out and finish mine which I started about ten years ago!!

post-1074-0-79695500-1352241061_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-43722300-1352241092_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-64912800-1352243510_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-14342200-1352243413_thumb.jpg

The pair of bolsters behind the Sentinel are from the reductions of the Dragon Models 7mm kit which are available from Matheison models

The Sentinel also made a little foray across the aisle to see Mr Nevard where it managed to pick up a parking ticket from a typical jobsworth.......

post-1074-0-09889100-1352243751_thumb.jpg

following which it was promptly towed away to the pound by a strangely familiar looking loco!!

post-1074-0-98991000-1352243781_thumb.jpg

Finally, just to round off the day, the good residents of North Somerset were treated to a bit of glamour.....

post-1074-0-01506800-1352244000_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-19636800-1352244024_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Wycrail also saw a few new items on the layout. First up is the Crane engine I have been working on - shots of it under construction can be found on my Tucking Mill thread and it will feature on the latter layout when that makes its debut at Warley in a few weeks time. I also scratchbuilt the pole wagon that accompanies it

post-1074-0-67578500-1352244373_thumb.jpg

That nice Andy Smith at Matheison models has also been adding some new wagons to his limited run range which are emminently suitable for any west country layout - see http://mathiesonmode...mited-stock.php

post-1074-0-71339600-1352244791_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-92813900-1352244823_thumb.jpg

The Sulley and Renwick Wilton wagons were very common throughout the south west and I have snapped up a few of each as Andy only produces them in very limited runs. The Camerton wagons were a must as Camerton provided the main inspiration for Highbury and the Smith wagons are based in Queen Square - albeit in Bristol rather than Bath. When I think how long it took me to hand letter some of the early PO's I did, these wagons are a godsend.

Jerry

• Like 12

Nice photos Jerry. Look forward to seeing Tucking Mill at Warley. I'm quite tempted by the Renwick Wilton wagons because my Dad's family is from Dartmouth... even though these wagons are totally outside my period and would have nothing sensible to run with.

Nice photos Jerry. Look forward to seeing Tucking Mill at Warley. I'm quite tempted by the Renwick Wilton wagons because my Dad's family is from Dartmouth... even though these wagons are totally outside my period and would have nothing sensible to run with.

They'd be okay behind Chris' 0-4-2T :yes:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some words & pictures on the Peckett can be found here:

http://www.rmweb.co....t/#entry836333.

The Sentinel railcar is the Langley kit, motorised using parts from an old Modelpower GP40 chassis. I pushed some 2mm disc wheels off their stub axles and refitted then onto the plastic axles of the GP40 chassis, in effect just replacing the N gauge wheels which were also just solid metal. The orginal pickups were just slightly reshaped to meet up with the finescale wheels. The gear tower & the driveshaft were mated up to a Tenshodo motor. The floor of the railcar was cut from 60 thou plasticard, with the GP40 bogie mounts glued to it. The motor is held in a plastic cradle too. The trailing bogie is a simple split-frame affair with the frames wired to the motor. To be honest, it's a bit of a quick throw together but it works very well. The GP40 gear train is actually quite good. The achilles heel of these mechs was the poor quality motor.

The Sentinel shunter has been featured in the 2mm magazine a couple of times. It's probably the simplest chassis build there is. The trickiest part is the meshing of the spur gears but nowadays, a Nigel Lawton pulley drive would be a simple alternative.

post-7249-0-70511600-1352318000_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-91917600-1352318014_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-74833600-1352318033_thumb.jpg

The body is from the P&D Marsh kit which has been stretched to accomodate the intended Farish DMU motor bogie. It's easily cut down to size, the casting even has a couple of guide lines.

post-7249-0-19434300-1352318146_thumb.jpg

To hold the chassis inside the body, I put a steel plate in the roof (filed down from a N gauge wagon weight) to which the motor magnets are attracted.

post-7249-0-49470600-1352318468_thumb.jpg

An alternative chassis could be made using Nigel Lawton's MPD18 drive unit which has a 18mm wheelbase. It would be easy to shorten the wheelbase to the 14mm required for the Sentinel. If anyone tries this, I'd recommend using the Association's phosphor-bronze axle bushes. The MPD18 as designed is a touched under-provisioned in this respect.

There was actually a long wheelbase version of the Sentinel produced for the Great Southern in Ireland, GSR Class 280 M1 (not the Belfast & Co. Down as I originally remembered it), which could use the P&D Marsh kit + MPD18 uncut.

Mark

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Dave , that's very kind. I'm a big fan of Charmouth and Bridport. If I live long enough I would like to do some narrow gauge someday!

Mark, many thanks for putting the details of your stock up - I must get that Sentinel of mine finished, a really useful little loco.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Dave , that's very kind. I'm a big fan of Charmouth and Bridport. If I live long enough I would like to do some narrow gauge someday!

Jerry

Come and see Charmouth at the NEC, stand C41. Warley is going to be a feast for Narrow-gaugers this year.

I'm looking forward to seeing Tucking Mill.

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Yes Thanks for the pictures Mark, i can see now what you were talking about at Wycrail. Another project to add to the list.. :)

Regards

Tom

Every 2mm finescale modeller must build a Sentinel. It's in the rules...

Seriously, it's a good first exercise in chassis building & gear meshing. There's one frame spacer/motor mount to file up from a lump of Tufnol or similar insulating material (Perspex?) and 4 simple shapes in 20 thou brass or nickel-silver. With no quartering to worry about, there's every chance of a successful end result.

The one in the photos here has a body started by Denys Brownlee, finished by me and put on a chassis which I'd already built. Amongst some of the bits I inherited from Denys was a part built chassis which I've completed and will go under the as-yet unbuilt Sentinel kit for which I constructed my chassis.

I would like to try a belt drive to replace the spur gears. I think it could well be quieter as the spur gears do tend to be a bit audible in a quiet environment.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Every 2mm finescale modeller must build a Sentinel. It's in the rules...

Seriously, it's a good first exercise in chassis building & gear meshing. There's one frame spacer/motor mount to file up from a lump of Tufnol or similar insulating material (Perspex?) and 4 simple shapes in 20 thou brass or nickel-silver. With no quartering to worry about, there's every chance of a successful end result.

The one in the photos here has a body started by Denys Brownlee, finished by me and put on a chassis which I'd already built. Amongst some of the bits I inherited from Denys was a part built chassis which I've completed and will go under the as-yet unbuilt Sentinel kit for which I constructed my chassis.

I would like to try a belt drive to replace the spur gears. I think it could well be quieter as the spur gears do tend to be a bit audible in a quiet environment.

Mark

That's all right then I still have an unmade kit from 30 years ago!

Don

• 1 month later...