Foxcote New Pit - formerly Highbury Colliery

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

The Hymek, which the observant amongst you will notice dosen't quite fit my c.1920's period :rolleyes: , is the very nice Dapol model. The wheels have been turned down to finescale standards, the body lowered, the ends detailed then the whole lot weathered. The loco runs beautifully although the slop in the bogies is a bit annoying as they set off momentarily before the body although I am hoping that a bit of judicious packing will cure this.

Jerry,

Did you ever solve the problem of the Hymek bogies and body being on a different agenda?

Alex

• RMweb Gold

Jerry,

Did you ever solve the problem of the Hymek bogies and body being on a different agenda?

Alex

Hi Alex,

no I've still not done anything about it and I've done three now, and a couple of 22s which are mechanically similar.

Jerry

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Really like those batteries controllers. Having seen and handled one recently all those present have considered getting one in view of the high quality DC loco control it provides. I have also wondered about the DCC version.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing 'modern' Highbury at Warley. 

Are you looking to populate the lanes with a sprinkling of appropriate vehicles?

Hi Will, well if you call forty years ago modern I suppose :dontknow:

If I get a chance I will put a few appropriate road vehicles on although I'm concentrating on getting the stock sorted - couplings, weathering, paint the new Austerity and maybe even the 08 etc.

If you are there make sure you come along for a play.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of dodgy snaps taken on the phone earlier this evening of the three new additions to the roster for Warley. The 22 is Dapol with turned down wheels, DGs and some weathering. The 08 I built several years ago and have finally got round to painting. It depicts D3184,  a Philips Marsh engine which I have a picture of at Radstock in the late 60's - it still needs glazing and a bit more weathering as the real thing was in a shocking state when photographed.

I plumped for maroon for the Hunslet and called her Highbury  - the assumption being the name originally adorned a long scrapped loco.

post-1074-0-67310300-1416442895_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-09577800-1416442929_thumb.jpg

I still need to have a rummage to see if I can find some suitable road vehicleds for the early 1970s but I'm running out of time so if you come and see Highbury over the weekend and I still have horse drawn vehicles on the layout - please turn a blind eye!!

Jerry

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing you at the weekend Jerry although it seems that there is a pillar between us, so the long awaited rail bridge between St Ruth and Highbury will have to remain... long awaited.

Regards, Andy

Thanks Andy. Should be a fun weekend and we shouldn't let a little old pillar get in the way of some through running ;)

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. Should be a fun weekend and we shouldn't let a little old pillar get in the way of some through running ;)

Jerry

And I hope yu get better service in the pub this year Jerry,  what was it, hour-and-a-half wait for food last time?

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

N gauge? I could have sworn it was 2FS when I saw at Epsom & Ewell's show at Nescot some years ago - but then it had an attractive and extremely knowledgable lady in charge and, just perhaps, I got distracted.

Highbury is 2mfs alright but I bet Jerry wishes he had a pound for every exhibition goer who asks 'Is it N gauge' from their point of view it is finescale N especially as these days we convert a lot of N gauge stuff.

Don

• RMweb Gold

And I hope yu get better service in the pub this year Jerry,  what was it, hour-and-a-half wait for food last time?

Cheers, Dave.

We are in one of the hotels on the edge of the NEC site this year so who knows what the service will be like. Not too bad I hope as I have a busy day tomorrow before heading off to Brum.

How many times have you been to Warley with the layout?

And are you aiming to get the best "N" Gauge layout award again??

This is only the second time Tim, and the first with the diesels. Be nice to win it again but with St Ruth there I think the odds are slim.

N gauge? I could have sworn it was 2FS when I saw at Epsom & Ewell's show at Nescot some years ago - but then it had an attractive and extremely knowledgable lady in charge and, just perhaps, I got distracted.

That attractive and knowledgable lady, my wife, will be operating again. She's not too keen on the diesels but I do have a couple of steamers to shunt the colliery!

Hi Jerry all three locos look good it's nice to see the O8 nearly there I thought it looked good before you painted it now it looks superb

John

Thanks John. Its only taken about four years to get round to painting the 08 - mainly due to those chevrons!!

Jerry

• Like 1

That attractive and knowledgable lady, my wife, will be operating again. She's not too keen on the diesels but I do have a couple of steamers to shunt the colliery!

Hopefully she'll approve of an excursion from St Ruth of Edwardian Elegance that I've got planned :-)

Ian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Actually didn't the GWR build a line through that area rather than Jerry's imaginings?

I do like the Metro with the coaches looks terrific. Much more of this and I will find myself abandoning my WR & SR stock for Churchward era stuff. Hang on though that coach livery is not easy. It is nice to see the train on a scenic layout perhaps you should back date St Ruths when the others arent looking.

It also makes me realise how much we will miss Highbury not only is it a smashing layout its travels round the country have provided a showcase for some fine 2mm locos.

Don

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Only about a month late but here are some snaps of the other guest locos that graced Highbury at the NEC.

post-1074-0-11552900-1420152574_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-08498300-1420152590_thumb.jpg

Nigel Hunt brought along a couple of his RTR conversions. The WD picture sadly  isn't very good but the loco was very much at home on some 16T minerals. The Ivatt is stunning and, for me, demonstrates just what a transformation a descent set of underpinnings does to an already very good model. A little stunner.

post-1074-0-99767100-1420152629_thumb.jpg

The other guest loco was Stuart Moore's 03 which was on running in trials having been to John's for a bit of a tweak. Needless to say it ran very well.

Jerry

• Like 13

• 2 months later...