Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Beavers Creek

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

We have decided to take a break from the UK modelling scene and make an American layout, this was originally planned as a larger layout, but for now we have scaled this back to a shunting plank - 20' X 2'6"

We have reused some of the boards which were built for the proposed UK layout, and Mike Turner has been busy "templotting" away, we have finally decided on the track plan, photos of the (limited) progress to follow later.

• RMweb Gold

The pictures appeared quicker than I expected !

An earlier planning session

post-6662-0-08207100-1307184004_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-89183900-1307183966_thumb.jpg

And with the final version of the plan in place, Tim drilling holes for point operation.

post-6662-0-48873400-1307184060_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-68942500-1307184063_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-35860400-1307184066_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-92494100-1307184068_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-15011800-1307184072_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-89007300-1307184052_thumb.jpg

More as progress is made ..

• RMweb Gold

I assume the three tracks parallel to the backscene are the mainlines and are you using them as a backscene with a rake of autoracks like the earlier photo?

Will it use the yard off Widnes to run trains through or is it stand alone?

• RMweb Gold

I assume the three tracks parallel to the backscene are the mainlines and are you using them as a backscene with a rake of autoracks like the earlier photo?

Will it use the yard off Widnes to run trains through or is it stand alone?

Hi Paul,

Yes and it's standalone, so it can fit into cars, well that's the plan .. :unsure:

• RMweb Gold

Crertainly looks as though a fun switching session could be had on that!

Musing about a "MILF"* for it, I'm thinking of writing software which manages the industries, generating requirements for raw materials and then products, with corresponding empty flows as required - ie vehicle movements.

It means the software doesn't care about the difficulty in shunting a car to a particular place, but it will care of it isn't ready on time and the industries start getting "annoyed". On Widnes, the most SPADs buys the drinks, on Beaver the most customer complaints will B) - I might start a separate topic once I've thought through this a bit more to see what others think :unsure:

* Train generation software

• 3 months later...

Looks interesting and not the usual tiny US type layout you see at shows!

Will it be featuring Tony Sissons' stock at all?

Hey James,

The boys haven't got the industry type that will be trackside to me yet, so I have no idea of what stock will be required. No good building a tank car for a lumber user...!!

Cheers, Tony

Tony, Do you want to post a photo or two of the trackwork you are working on for this layout - I'm sure that there will be some interest in the details........

Best, Pete.

Pete, I'm not building any of the trackwork, in fact I have no idea what the guys are using/doing, but Tim R will be over here in October and I'm sure he'll fill me in over a beer or two. From the photos here on this thread I see several prototype errors, but being as it is a fantasy layout and not prototype it probably isn't going to stick in any ones craw, other than mine. :sclerosis: My contribution will be building some stock over time for it.

Cheers, Tony

• 9 months later...

Hey all i've just caught up with this one i wondered how it was progressing it looks very nice indeed. Do you have a specific theme planned for the layout what industries are you planning on having & what track are you using ???

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

At the moment things have halted due to personal matters, hopefully a happy outcome over the next few months and we can resume.

It's not a forgotten project but the other matters are higher priority for us, watch this space later this year all being well

Archived