Terminus in BR blue.

Elagage56

hello everyone.

well to start my first layout topic thread, i'd like to say a thankyou to everyone for the insperation and advice i've gained here on rmweb.

i'm planning a small end to end layout. its my second layout build and first dcc build. my first layout being a roundy, based after the year 2000. no its not finished yet, but i bet i'm not the only one who starts another project befor finishing the first!

my layout, which hasn't got a name yet, is fictional based probubly in the south west and sometime between 1970 and 1985. this i will refine as i research more the period and learn more. there is just something about the blue locos and blue/gray rolling stock that i like.

so to start with i have built a base board; 240cm long and 40cm wide, built from ply with a scenic break at 180cm to give me a small fiddle yard hidden. this will have a folding extention to allow longer trains. so the total display area of 180cm x 40cm.

8065845.jpg?760

so here is my proposed trackplan. comments welcome, do you think it will work well?

836138.jpg?760

hi there, i think you have a lovely little plan there, some scope for some nice movements, how many coaches will you get in the station or are you going to use DMU's mostly.

like the little shed at the top, i think thats screaming for the new Bachmann model based on peterborough.

looking forward to seeing this grow

great start

Neil

like the little shed at the top, i think thats screaming for the new Bachmann model based on peterborough.

You read my mind! thats what i have in mind for that corner, my thinking being as its a through shed, it allows scope to add another board to the layout at a later date. that is also why i have designed the station to the side like that and not got the station building across the end of the line like alot of terminus stations. as it is the main line can be continued on to a second board.

there should just be enough length in the station for 3 coaches (like in the photo, based on mk2's) and the loco can still go round the loop to head off again. though i also really like the DMU's like the 105 and 108. there will then be the odd ballast train, mixed fraight, fuel and of course parcels.

Hi,

Great little plan there! Your thread caught my attention as I'm designing a BR terminus atm too! (somewhat more simple mind and in N gauge)

Im building my baseboards today, while my other unfinished layout awaits attention...think we must all do that :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing your layout come together. Keep the pictures rolling :D

Regards

Lee

more pictures will follow when the track arrives. i am currently trying to work out how to do points..... i've never used point motors befor and am thinking i'll make a seperate system for that, so the points are not on the dcc system but with a transformer and wired the normal way i have seen. this giving me more operational interest as it would be 2 controlers, one for locos and one switch board for the track.

any advice on points wiring very welcome, or links to how-to/ help guides online.

cheers

neil

Hornby insulfrog with the spring connecters so they are live all the time. i'm thinking peco point motors mounted under the board, just not sure if i'll need long or standard drive pin one's as its on 10mm plywood

10mm ply isnt very think to attach the point motor to the board (if you were thinking of attaching by screw?) so I'd suggest the longer pin and attach blocks under the board to space the pin and attach the motor to the board..

The short pin variant is only really of any use if your mouting the motor directly to the point sleepers.

If you can mount peco motors directly to the Hornby point sleepers, I'd recommend doing so. The shorter the pin, the better in my (limited) experience.

regards

Lee

cheers for the advice on pointmotors, that all makes sence to me.

heres a little update..... the basic pack for control has arrived. after adding up bits, i figured it would be cheaper to get the Bachmann whole train set and just not use most of the track... as in this you get everything you need for the EZ control system and a DCC loco (a class 25 rat, that i was already looking to order one of!)and 2 mkII intercity coaches. bargin!

i had also ordered 3 Hornby decoders and was a little worried about fitting and setting up the locos but it couldnt have been simpler, 20mins and i had all 3 installed (class 08 and 2 in a class 108 DMU) and set to diffrent addresses on the handset.

i have now started laying out the cork underlay this really shows up my trackplan, its cut just a little wider than the sleepers.

5385165.jpg?760

7119450.jpg?540

Thats starting to come on well, great work and i can see the Bachmann shed in there too and plenty of room for storage, i do think you should bring the shed forward, maybe half a loco length, would break up the backscene a little

great start

Neil

oh yes i forgot to add earlier..... you can see at the top lefthand side, i have added an extra folding part to the behind the scenes area, to allow a longer train to be added. this is build to i take out one screw and it folds down, so the layout can be put flat back to a wall. next little job is to cut the rails and wire across the join.

i'm not entirely sure of the placing of the shed yet too, i'll see once the station is built and in place. there is also a signal box to be added in on the front left of the scene, as marked on the plan.

Hi, great little plan you have there, but just to put one idea in there, on the single road into the station you have 1 x Right hand point to the bay platform and then another Left hand point for the loop, how about a 1 x Peco 3 way point this gives another couple of inches on the loop and the centre road track.

Good to see some DMU modellers, you can't beat a few bog carts.

Best regards

Craig.

Deff looking like a good start here! Glad the digital setup went well, I think it sounds more complex than it really is!

Any more thought about point control yet?

Looking forward to the next development!

Regards,Lee

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Nice solid start there and very good choice of era!

In my experience - which is limited compared to some - the 08 and 108 can be right ###### to get decoders in. The 108 because it is fiddley to dis-assemble and hide the decoder when re-assembled, and the 08 to just fit it in. Trust me, any other DCC ready stuff will be a doddle from now on if it only took you 20 mins for the both!

I will watch with interest as I plan a terminus in the same era based on Barnstaple junction (ish).

Regards,

James

hi

well thats good news for decoders then... in the 08 i got it between the plug and the front grill and in the 108 its above the socket in the power car and in the toilet in the trailer!

next loco lined up to fit a decoder into is a Bachmann class 20.

thanks for the idea about a 3-way, i thought about it, but i would loose the length of the loco/shunter head if i pulled the loop forward, so i couldnt have a shunter or loco stored there and the other loco go round the loop.... as for points motors, i've not moved forward with a plan there, i have met a guy localy who knows abit about layouts, so i'm going to have a look at his layout and see how to build up a switchboard for them. otherwise i might go for a gaugemaster PCU, its the transformer and switches in one, but i'm sure i could build something close for less.... we'll see.

not had much time today, just cut the hole in the backscene for the tunnel and painted it in undercoat white to match the rest. next to fit the tunnel mouth and sculpt some ground around it. for this i like to use high-dencity foam and plaster poured over the top.

• RMweb Gold

There is just enough room (and literary just) between the motor block and radiator on the 08. I originally fitted a Bachmann 553 to mine, and need to trim a little bit of the plastic insulation off the end to get it to fit. I have since fitted a TCS M1 decoder, in the same place, but this decoder is about 3/4 the size of the Bachmann one and provides considerably better slow running and motor response (well on my NCE Powercab and can't say with any other controller).

I had similar issues with the decoders on the 108. It's a real shame that Bachmann have not electrically linked the motor and trailer so only needing one decoder. Also, not really allowing a suitable place to fit the decoder. I can only guess that this an older style model and designed before DCC became more wide-spread.

yeah the Hornby R8249 decoder just fits in that space in the 08, tight but fits and with a protective cover fitted that is. i agree with you about the 108, shame its not connected to use just one decoder.

does anyone know if the Bachmann 105 dmu is the same? does it need one or 2 decoders.

1687441.jpg?755

here is the start on the scenic break. i have fixed on the front triangle wooden support and cut the tunnel hole. then i have started the foam in-fill. the second side will be a more gentle slope probubly with an access road down the back.

yeah the Hornby R8249 decoder just fits in that space in the 08, tight but fits and with a protective cover fitted that is. i agree with you about the 108, shame its not connected to use just one decoder.

does anyone know if the Bachmann 105 dmu is the same? does it need one or 2 decoders.

Hi, it is the same set up as the 108, 2 x decoders required.

Recived the platform covers today, the basic Hornby one's but i have re painted them, more to my liking. these where ordered after the bits for building the station, but they still have not been delivered....

5908942.jpg?760

the station pieces finaly arrived!! along with the points and peco buffers (never used these befor but they are really nice, so much better detailed than the Hornby one's.)

the station platform is being built up from wills paving and peco edges. i have cut a couple of these down to create the ramp at the end, just need to shape the paving to fit now :unsure:

i went for the Hornby building in the end and i think its very well done, just a shame its not a little bigger.

5374814.jpg?743

and an end on view from the background break.

5749700.jpg?738

Starting to take shape, think the Hornby building will need some subtle weathering and dulling down to blend in with the Bachmann shed.

Are you going to fit point motors??

Cheers

Neil

oh yes, weathered down it will be! when the platform is painted and weathered so it all matches. there will be a small carpark to the right of the station building, probubly with a loading bay for a truck/van for parcels or newspapers. (an excuse to buy the nice looking Bachmann newspapers van! mkI NCV)

yes i hope to fit point motors. i've not ordered them yet. until then i'll drill a hole through the baseboard below each point slider, when the rest of the track arrives and is fitted in befor acturly fixing it in place.

more building taken place on the station lastnight. the end ramp is now built and the shelters fitted in place.......... you may also spot an class 45 hiding in there too :D its had its chip fitted already and i've started detailing it.

4163570.jpg?760

3735537.jpg?760

Archived