Terminus in BR blue.

Elagage56

Hi,

I do like your platform - very neat. Can you provide a close up? The canopies are smart too; which paint did you use? I wonder if the Hornby canopies are architechturaly sound as they look as if they would easily take off in a strong wind and do not have much coverage. But they look good.

hi

thanks. yeah i'll try and get some closeup's later today. the platforms built from peco edging and will's paving sheets. its built to fit around the station building, being narrower after the building as its only got the one side platform there.

the canopies are really quite nice, not sure how prototipical they are but the look good. i have sprayed them with halfords white primer paint (i have found this gives a good white cover and it stays white (some white paints go yellow over time, humbrol for one) the details are then painted in tamiya acrylic hull red.

cheers

neil

• 2 weeks later...

hi

sorry for the lack of updates. it's all on hold until the rest of the track arrives... its on its way but it seams to take forever for long flexi track to get here to france.

heres hoping it will get here this week.

the track has finally arrived!!!!!! i've spent the last 2 nights cutting and fitting it in. its gone in even better than i hoped, the end of the station is just long-enoughto fit in my biggest loco for the scene (class 45) to use the points for the go round loop and there is space for 3 mk2 coaches in the loop at the station. i had been worried that it would only be big-enough for 2. :yahoo:

so heres a couple of pics. i've also got one of the station abit closer up and the bottom end of the station where the shed is in the background and on the station i am building a goods access ramp from the parking. as i have now ordered a mk1 NVC frull brake 'newspapers' and i have an evening news transit. just need some brutes or trollies now.:rolleyes:

7081226.jpg?619

8827102.jpg?760

4350705.jpg?758

Good news on the track arriving. The station's looking great.

Good news also on the 3 carriage clearance. I kept re-jigging my terminus when I realise I was within milimeters of fitting an extra carriage in....has to be done!

I like the shot with the 25, but then I do have a soft spot for em!:rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing more!

regards

Lee :yes:

cheers, yeah it took a little bit of jigging around to get the lengths right, but i think i've got it about the best i can.today i have fixed down the track (after lifting it and drilling a 10mm hole below each of the points switches. now they are ready so i can later add points motors later, when i can afford to do it and work-out how to power it all. (the Bachmann simple ddc controler has no second power supply.)

so now the track is pinned and tested :drinks: and i have started to add in some concrete cable trunking and a couple of electric boxes, false point motors and cables that pass under the track in red trunking.

Sounds like some good details going down...looking forward to the next pictures.

Perhaps in the meantime you can rig up a basic manual point system. I've used drinking straws, old rail and some brass wire on mine. If I want later, I can simply add motors to the push rods without having to mount the motors under the board. Saved me having to shell out for motors or knock stock off while trying to change the points by hand...im not too clever at that.

regards

Lee

hi all.

well bedroom decorating finished, i've now had time to do a little more to the groundwork. i've started to make the concrete base for the shed and working/ goods unloading area. i've used plaster filler to make this. then run an old wagon up and down to cut the wheel grooves while the plaster is still damp.

9897354.jpg?760

hi all

thanks! yeah i will be painting the track befor ballasting. i'll probubly use tamiya red-brown, flat acrylic. its close to a dirty rust colour, not to rusty in colour but not clean. then i'll pass a MIG wash of dark brown, this will give abit of colour to the sleepers rather than the Hornby black.

again, yes it is sort of a fuel point/ shunt/ loco stand. i know in real life it would not be that close to the station but i am limited in depth and the fueling detail is already molded onto the shed.

i'm waighing up ideas for the points. i know i can buy the gaugemaster PCU1 unit to control them, but what other options are there? there is no power output from the controler for a points system, so i think i'd need to buy a second transformer and wire a switch system upto that, but i have found on the gaugemaster site that there should be a discharge unit or something with it too, but dont know anything about this.:help:

cheers

neil

ok, so i should have been painting the track, well making a start on it, tonight..... but i couldnt help but have a play!

i have decided at the moment to rest with the standard Hornby style couplings and have got 4 peco uncouplers. i feel these look a little better than the huge Hornby one's. they also have a nice wood finnish so painted they should look not to far out of place, one is well hidden along the platform line (so the loco can detach and go round), the others are a little more visible but should fit in ok.

i've also started detailing around the station building, just need to straighten up a couple of the bollards and tarmac the parking....

4027570.jpg?746

1894809.jpg?744

I will be putting all my locos in their boxes and puttign them away otherwise I fear I'll never progress! It's just far too tempting eh!

Still, good progress so far with the scenic work! It's coming together nicely!!

Regards

Lee :)

• 2 weeks later...

well slow progress recently, but now i have finaly put most of the locos and rolling stock back in the boxes and done some work on the layout. i've started painting the track and also made a start on ballasting. first corner ballasted and a little play around with woodland scenics greenery in the end of the DMU bay platform. its off to a good start i think, photos to follow in the week.

still not sure about how to power the point motors though. has anyone tryed building a switch panel and used a Hornby power transformer (like you get to plug into the wall with a normal dc trainset) as the power source? :help:

• RMweb Gold

well slow progress recently, but now i have finaly put most of the locos and rolling stock back in the boxes and done some work on the layout. i've started painting the track and also made a start on ballasting. first corner ballasted and a little play around with woodland scenics greenery in the end of the DMU bay platform. its off to a good start i think, photos to follow in the week.

still not sure about how to power the point motors though. has anyone tryed building a switch panel and used a Hornby power transformer (like you get to plug into the wall with a normal dc trainset) as the power source? :help:

Hi,

Been following your progress with interest so far - you have made a very good start.

On my last layout I used the Hornby track controller as a 'slave' power supply for my point motors. You can pick them up cheap on ebay. I would definately not use the controller you use for the trains (in my experience the Hornby select) to also power the points - even it it has an auxially output (I don't think the EZ controller has an aux output). My select kept stopping the trains when I dwelled on the power for the points - although at the time I was not using a CDU (see below). But my experience is limited!

You then have a choice of how to switch the points - a very inexpensive way is to use the peco 'studs' and probe or you can buy toggle switches (on-off-on or push to make) pretty cheap from maplins or online.

I would also consider buying a Capacitor Discharge Unit or CDU which gives the motors a sharp spike of juice when you switch and enables you to dwell in the 'on' position without damaging the point motor.

There are several guide books out there - it might seem daunting but is actually very straightforward.

Good luck!

James

• 3 weeks later...

hi all

long over-due update, but lots done and worked out..... i've been ballasting the track and painted nearly all of it first. i've also been doing some greenery. next on the list is to finish the ballast and to paint the parking spaces in the carpark, befor this area is weathered.

for the points (thanks for the advice by the way) i've got the CDU and seep point motors and switches, just got to build a switch board. i'm just about to now order a transformer for powering it. the gaugemaster one's look good quality.

heres the latest pics....

3329726.jpg?755

9209320.jpg?757

4929461.jpg?760

Archived