EWS 08

Matthew2h1

Hello to all

I thought it was about time for me to enter one of these yearly chalenges and seing that this years challenge is not only small but it is in conjuction with model rail magazine i thought i ought to give it my best shot. Having built a few small layouts of varying style that have come to being more of an experiment rather than a railway and never seemed to be what we call 'finished'. So over these years i now know what works on a railway and what dosent. So like we should, i have done some research into what i should do and of course we come up with ideas but i think ive 'nailed it on the head' as we say.

My loco collection being mostly digital i decided to pick the smallest (of course a shunter) To model it around. This being the good old Class 08 in eye catching EWS livery. Not only is it an 08 but it is hornbys own sound 08 that, personally, i think produces amazing sound that isnt to loud but not to quiet. Anyway enough of me blabaling on about qulity, i was flicking through photos of the 08 (a collection of below) and after reading a few bits and bobs about it i found that not specifically the EWS 08's but other liverys served in little chains of industrys and those bisnusses that required the help of a train. So being that we have a 'small' space to do a diorama/layout in why not do a 'small' industrie served by rail and the star loco being my 08.

Then comes the question 'what type of industrie are you going to do'. Well after looking at my rolling stock collection being rather varied there are several ideas that come to mined 1) Mineral wagons: an industrie in need of these modist sized carraiges like a steel works or even a coal merchants. 2) Cement wagons: Of course a cement industrie no doubt 3) Other wagon stock: varrying coal and ballast carraiges for smaller industries. So i have dicided to use my coal/mineral wagon stock because it gives me a greater range of stock to use and because of their size perhaps two could be shown at once

As to the scenic side of things: because these werent any sort of major money making schemes these yards were usually very filthy and so were the locos (As shown by the pictures).

So i will post the photos of the baseboard which is 500mm X 270mm which allows for backboards to ad to scenic affect

Enjoy the photos below!

Though in a more prestine condition it still shows the EWS 08 it great style

Well weathered 08 with another behind but gives an idea of what the track will look like

A very prestine EWS 08

Shows an EWS 08 in a yard scene

A well used EWS 08 in a siding

Lastly a industrie served by a EWS 08 in this case steel

As for a trackplan

post-8054-0-25268300-1307336209_thumb.jpg

The black area: Industrie building entrace

Red area: Yard crane or wagon loads

Gray area: Concrete

Gray rectangle: Mearsk container

Outer track: Overgrown and unused

post-8054-0-08030200-1307336971_thumb.jpg

3D veiw done rather quickly and to know detail but gives the general idea

Thanks

Post again soon

Matthew

P.S I am part of this challenge and hope to complete within the given time frame.

great looking idea and well thought out, i think the yard crane is a must and maybe have it operationl of possible, would add interest i think

great start

Neil

Where was your last photo taken? The one which appears to be within a works?

Looks like Sheerness (from the title you get if you over the cursor over the pic).

Nice ideas for the diorama by the way

• 2 months later...

Hello all

Long long time of no reply i know but there is still a month at hand. I have laid down the track onto my homebuilt base board and have nearly finished the plasticard structures. A slight change to the landscape though, i couldnt get a container to fit and look right so instead i made two 'factories' that back onto the small railway yard. One containing the yard office and the rest of the steel works and the other being from some other companie in the same estate. I have decided to build a operational yard crane to handle to the small amounts of steel. I will upload some photos ASAP and then glue everything down and start the scenics! As for the electrics there will be a small control panel for the lights and operation of the yard crane and a space for a controler for the sound of the 08 to work.

Happy veiwing

Matthew

Archived