Wobbly wheels on powered bogies of 2 Hornby diesels

GreenDiesel001

Hi.

I have 2 fairly oldish Hornby diesels.

They are Class 47 Hornby No R073 and Class 37 I do not know the model number but the diesel is numbered D6885.

On both these models the centre wheels of the power bogie are not fixed across the axle.

Is this normal please or do I need to replace the wheels?

Also I have a Class 47 Hornby model No R863 which is a horrible shiney green.

Is there a way of dubbing this gloss down or should I buy a new body please?

Many thanks,

Jeff Rippon

• RMweb Gold

Terrible bit of "design" that, I'm sure the accountants were pleased though, can't think of anyone else who would have been.

These wobbly centre wheels are the main reason that all the 3 axle ringfields on Summat Colliery are powered by the original ex-Fleichmann designed "Silver Seal" unit. Okay, the centre wheels are flangeless but all wheels are driven and they don't derail on code 75 pointwork :yahoo:

Basically they couldn't get a solid axle through the block as the magnet is in the way. The plastic ringfield drive unit is set lower than the Silver Seal one - presumably so that it could fit under a greater range of tenders. A simple notch in the magnet or a slightly smaller aramture/magnet would have made for a better unit, oh well, water under the bridge now.

It could be worse - the original(?) 37 had moulded bumps where the centre wheels were supposed to be.

Adrian

Steady on, didn't the 37 actually have Class 31 bogies with Triang's take on the salient A1A feature you describe :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

Steady on, didn't the 37 actually have Class 31 bogies with Triang's take on the salient A1A feature you describe :laugh:

The 37 originally had the Triang Class 31 bogies with the aforementioned moulded lump for the middle wheel (A Co-Bo in effect!!) but in an effort to make it more realistic, they err fitted the Class 47 bogies instead!!

The Ringfield Class 47 motor bogies middle wheels always had flanges if I recall, wobbled like billy-o all over the shop on their little stalks of an axle but at least it wasn't a flat spotted lump of moulded on plastic...

Archived