GWR coach lake : 1912 - 1922

I am thinking of building these Ratio GWR coaches in the coach lake livery (1912-1922).

https://vault1.secured-url.com/model/acatalog/Coachesratiokitoogauge.html

Was this similar to the LMS Crimson Lake ? I notice that Phoenix Paints have the GWR lake but it is limited edition and not always available.

Was there any lining to the coaches during this period or was it just straight lake ?

AFAIK the lake was slightly darker than the MR colour (I always use this however). Lining as before black ends, panelling not picked out in black. I leave the lining off, as it's pretty near the eye's resolution limit anyway in 4mm. Wheels were supposed to be Indian red, but this was likely to disappear under dirt even in this period I would think.

http://www.gwr.org.u...scoach1912.html

I have a Ratio 4 wheel composite (ignoring the incorrect length), a Tri-ang clerestorey (supposedly a composite but it isn't - the compartments are all the same length and too long for a second and too short for a first) (again ignored - life's too short*), a K's Siphon F and a horse box in this livery. I'm debating whether to add a K's 6 wheel Siphon to the list. (It will have a single arc roof as I already have one in brown livery

* Maybe one day I'll extend the sides to make an all first! The ends need altering too. :huh:

I am thinking of building these Ratio GWR coaches in the coach lake livery (1912-1922).

https://vault1.secured-url.com/model/acatalog/Coachesratiokitoogauge.html

Was this similar to the LMS Crimson Lake ? I notice that Phoenix Paints have the GWR lake but it is limited edition and not always available.

Was there any lining to the coaches during this period or was it just straight lake ?

I have one PC GWR toplight in Crimson lake, it is darker than LMS Crimson Lake, I cannot tell you if this colour is the correct shade. As to how long the colour kept its original shade (it would have either faded or darkened) and how much colours varied when new (as apparently the colours were mixed up in the paint shops)has been debated many times on this web.

Many people use alternative paints, I brought a Wills U1 which has been well made, sprayed and lined. But the colour is all wrong, its a cross between LNER apple green and Railmatch Machalite certainly not GWR green (and its been painted in gloss).

In the end you are building the coaches for your own use, and you cannot get the GWR Crimson Lake you could paint it LMS Crimson Lake. If you are unhappy afterwards just wait till the colour becomes available again and give it a top coat of the correct colour when it becomes available.

Good luck

Crimson lake is not noted for its stability (like most/all red pigments) and as GWR coaches were expected to last 10 years between repaints* some variation is inevitable. 4 wheelers were probably not the highest priority anyway, especially with WW I paint shortages to be considered.

* I have read this somewhere, but can't find it again.

...a K's Siphon F and a horse box in this livery...

I'll bet they look good in this livery, but is there any evidence that it was ever used on Siphons? Given the build dates of the Fs, I would have thought that they would already have been painted brown when the lake livery was adopted and, as you say later, that would have been expected to last ten years or so.

Nick

https://vault1.secur...kitoogauge.html

GWR Lake is still available from Roxey Mouldings:

Roxey Mouldings

They are due to be at Wakefield this weekend.

All lake coaches were lined out with gold. There is a nice photo of a 4 wheeler here: GWR.org

I'll bet they look good in this livery, but is there any evidence that it was ever used on Siphons? Given the build dates of the Fs, I would have thought that they would already have been painted brown when the lake livery was adopted and, as you say later, that would have been expected to last ten years or so. Nick
This is a long standing argument, but I see no reason for 'brown' vehicles not being being painted carriage colour. The Fs were due for repaint in the early twenties and thus some at least could have been crimson. I confess to an error in having the large number on one side - this has benn earmarked for correction for a long time! Photographic evidence is not reliable as brown and crimson look the same in monochrome. There is a photograph of a horse box taken in 1920 in one of Russell's volumes which certainly appears crimson (can't remember where - must dig my library out of store). I thus claim modeller's licence, based on reasonable interpretation of known facts.

I'd forgotten (old age) this discussion:- http://uk.msn.com/?ocid=hmlogout

That's good enough for me, though I'm more inclined to believe in lake horse boxes than siphons ;)

Nick

So would I, but... It's different and looks nice. However, if someone can prove it wrong, I'll repaint it brown.

• RMweb Gold

There is a nice photo of a 4 wheeler here: GWR.org

Is it just me or are those links not working? Can't have that, since it's such an excellent site wink.gif. So just testing: GWR 4-wheeler in lake livery.

Edit: ok that seems to have done the trick.

That's good enough for me, though I'm more inclined to believe in lake horse boxes than siphons wink.gif

Ditto, I very much like the thought of Siphons in lake livery. Grifone, I'd love to see a photo of your siphons if there's any chance?

I very much like the thought of Siphons in lake livery. Grifone, I'd love to see a photo of your siphons if there's any chance?

At the moment they are in store. I'll see if I can find them (lots of large - Lidl apple - boxes). The horse box is in bits - my scratchbuilt u/f fell to bits when I tried to do something about Tri-ang's planking grooves in relief - not sucessful - I have a Lima one ready to replace it.

Archived