Any Question Answered

Pixie

Good Morning

Is someone able to point me in the direction of some instructions for 2-384 RCH underframe for Peco Tanker.  Despite surfing the web I have been  unable to find anything.

If there isn't any can someone tell me where parts 11 and 9 fit into underframe?  Also what is the difference between 2d and 2m brake gear?  to my tired eyes they seem to be the same.  It looks like to the "outriggers" on the main spline fold up to form a U.  Is this correct?

Kind regards

Geoff

South Australia

Good Morning

Is someone able to point me in the direction of some instructions for 2-384 RCH underframe for Peco Tanker.  Despite surfing the web I have been  unable to find anything.

If there isn't any can someone tell me where parts 11 and 9 fit into underframe?  Also what is the difference between 2d and 2m brake gear?  to my tired eyes they seem to be the same.  It looks like to the "outriggers" on the main spline fold up to form a U.  Is this correct?

Kind regards

Geoff

South Australia

2d and 2m means double-sided and morton brakes. Look again, they are not the same. One side of the brakegear is inverted. The outriggers do fold up to a U and form the chassis framing in the centre of the underframe. If using double-sided brakes, you want to use two brake levers of part 8N. If morton, one of 8N and one of 8M.

Part 9 forms the similar underframe framing at the ends of the chassis. First fold up the DG brake mounts (if using them), and solder the brakes onto the underframe. Then fold part 9 into a V shape and you should be able see where they slot in.

Part 11 is the platform that goes onto the top of the tank. The small holes are where the ladders slot in.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• 3 weeks later...

2d and 2m means double-sided and morton brakes. Look again, they are not the same. One side of the brakegear is inverted. The outriggers do fold up to a U and form the chassis framing in the centre of the underframe. If using double-sided brakes, you want to use two brake levers of part 8N. If morton, one of 8N and one of 8M.

Part 9 forms the similar underframe framing at the ends of the chassis. First fold up the DG brake mounts (if using them), and solder the brakes onto the underframe. Then fold part 9 into a V shape and you should be able see where they slot in.

Part 11 is the platform that goes onto the top of the tank. The small holes are where the ladders slot in.

Chris

Chris

Thank you.

Kind regards

Geoff

Hi all,

Does anyone have the dimensions of the Association bearings for the Dapol Britannia and Pannier (3-225 and 3-226) please?

Cheers,

Pix

Assuming you mean the outside diameter of the bit that fits the frames, the Britannia bearings are 3.5mm and those for the Pannier are 3.9mm. If you need to know any of the other dimensions let me know.

The Pannier bearings appear to fit the Dapol Schools also. See http://festiveroad.net/wealden2mmblog/archives/712

Assuming you mean the outside diameter of the bit that fits the frames, the Britannia bearings are 3.5mm and those for the Pannier are 3.9mm. If you need to know any of the other dimensions let me know.

The Pannier bearings appear to fit the Dapol Schools also. See http://festiveroad.net/wealden2mmblog/archives/712

This probably means the Britannia ones will fit the Dapol Hall (I have measured these at 3.55mm).

When I get hold of an A3 I am hopeful it will be one or the other of these two, as it also has the same style of design.

I have not yet been brave enough to strip down my 28XX to measure those.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

This probably means the Britannia ones will fit the Dapol Hall (I have measured these at 3.55mm).

Interestingly, the Britannia bearings pretty much fell out of the chassis but those for the Pannier and the Schools needed a good whack to get them to budge. All the Association bearings sit quite loosely in the chassis.

Richard

Interestingly, the Britannia bearings pretty much fell out of the chassis but those for the Pannier and the Schools needed a good whack to get them to budge. All the Association bearings sit quite loosely in the chassis.

Richard

This is also the case with the original Dapol bearings in the Hall. They are pretty loose and the wheels have a fair bit of play.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

When I get hold of an A3 I am hopeful it will be one or the other of these two, as it also has the same style of design.

I have not yet been brave enough to strip down my 28XX to measure those.

Chris

Hi,

In conjunction with Richard, I have been checking various bearings. The 28xx bearings are 3.92mm diameter so the same as the Pannier when looking at replacements.

regards

Nigel

Hi,

In conjunction with Richard, I have been checking various bearings. The 28xx bearings are 3.92mm diameter so the same as the Pannier when looking at replacements.

regards

Nigel

The A3 has 3.8mm bearings. So the Pannier ones for that too.The A4 will be the same as Dapol list the same spare part for both.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

Does anyone have, or could anyone take, pictures of the Bullied driving wheels? Preferably the 12mm, but either would do. Unpainted and in focus if possible.

Do the 12mm Bullied wheels have the same crank throw as the 12mm spoked wheels?

Edited by garethashenden

Hello,

My layout is an "Inglenook" stuck on a 4' x 1'6" baseboard (6 mm ply). All the track and points are built by soldering the rails straight to the PCB timbers. The tracks have been glued to the baseboard using the Easitrac glue (Association's solvent based PVA) a few months ago, they have not been weathered yet and there is no scenery.

Is it normal to have a resistance of around 1 Mohm between tracks? Will this have any ill effect when running trains?

I have tested each of the two points and each length of track before glueing them to the baseboard and the resistance was "infinite".

Thank you,

• RMweb Premium

Did you use an acid flux when soldering the rails to the PCB? This seems to get absorbed by the insulating material and lowers its resistance. Saying that, 1Mohm is a lot - if you put your finger across the rails it might measure 50k ohm, and will not affect trains running at the time.

Ian Morgan

Hampshire

Did you use an acid flux when soldering the rails to the PCB? This seems to get absorbed by the insulating material and lowers its resistance. Saying that, 1Mohm is a lot - if you put your finger across the rails it might measure 50k ohm, and will not affect trains running at the time.

Ian Morgan

Hampshire

Many thanks, Ian. Yes, I used an acid flux (phosphoric acid); it took a while from start to finish soldering, off site, the rails to the PCB timbers; after that I scrubbed very well the work with Cif using a toothbrush, and I remember measuring the resistance afterwards: infinite.

But never mind, if you say 1 Mohm is more than acceptable, then I'm not worried.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks, Ian. Yes, I used an acid flux (phosphoric acid); it took a while from start to finish soldering, off site, the rails to the PCB timbers; after that I scrubbed very well the work with Cif using a toothbrush, and I remember measuring the resistance afterwards: infinite.

But never mind, if you say 1 Mohm is more than acceptable, then I'm not worried.

IEC 60335   electrical safety testing 

Insulation Resistance Test[edit]

This test is to measure the total resistance of a product’s insulation by applying a voltage of 500V – 1000V for low voltage systems. The minimum acceptable value of resistance for a product to pass an insulation resistance test is 1 mega Ohm (1000 kohms)[citation needed]. The insulation resistance test is not a substitute for the high voltage test. Many standards and safety agencies have specified this is a universal test for all products. This test may also be carried out after every maintenance procedure or repair.

you've passed that I can not see any problem  moisture in the surface may give a 1Mohm reading

Nick

Thanks Richard.

I was idely wondering they could be used in the Western which has bearings of a 3.7mm OD, although I'm not sure with which wheels. My Solloway'ed examples can tide me over for now.

Pix

In order to accommodate a Poole Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST body (white metal) on top of a replacement chassis designed by Chris Higgs fitted with a Maxon 1016 motor, I need to hack the top of the boiler / saddle tank from inside. I was using to use my Dremel rotary tool but I don't know which bit is most suitable for this kind of work.

What would you recommend?

The following is not a question, more like a warning:

Yahoo discloses hack of 1 billion accounts

I have closed my Yahoo! account a while ago so I cannot access the VAG to post this article there but maybe someone who still have access can warn the VAG members there. This is the second time Yahoo! is being hacked in a very short period of time. I was wondering for quite a while, why people keeps using their services...

• RMweb Premium

The following is not a question, more like a warning:

Yahoo discloses hack of 1 billion accounts

I have closed my Yahoo! account a while ago so I cannot access the VAG to post this article there but maybe someone who still have access can warn the VAG members there. This is the second time Yahoo! is being hacked in a very short period of time. I was wondering for quite a while, why people keeps using their services...

I think it's the same hack from 2013 being reported on, the numbers involved etc. I haven't been able to get meaningful access to the 2mm VAG (or any other fo the Yahoo groups I belonged to - whatever the platform or browser used, Win/Mac/Android, I.E/Chrome/Firefox) since Yahoo introduced the Neo interface, and eventually I gave up. A bit annoying, but that's life.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

I think it's the same hack from 2013 being reported on, the numbers involved etc. I haven't been able to get meaningful access to the 2mm VAG (or any other fo the Yahoo groups I belonged to - whatever the platform or browser used, Win/Mac/Android, I.E/Chrome/Firefox) since Yahoo introduced the Neo interface, and eventually I gave up. A bit annoying, but that's life.

Izzy

I'd agree, Yahoo is a hopeless platform.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I've been soldering some 2mmfs points for a while now and having seen some roundy roundy layouts in the micro's and boxfile section i wanted to make a round test layout maybe with a bit of scenery so the stock can just go round and round.

I have used templot to make a curved point plan but i'm not sure about the radius aspect and what is a minimum ( i have three farish 33's and a 31 at the moment with replacement society wheels).

I just been looking at the peco N gauge setrack curved points ST 44 and 45 i fancy printing the templates and trying to build them in 2mmfs.

Reading the web the setrack curved points are 9" radius is that going to be too much for the farish diesels?.

I think i did the templot point to 18" but if i have two boards 3ft x 18" back to back that's going to be a tight circle.

Thoughts anyone remembering it's that time of year good will to all men and idiots (like me) like.

Merry Crimbo everyone.

G.

Hello Everyone,

I've been soldering some 2mmfs points for a while now and having seen some roundy roundy layouts in the micro's and boxfile section i wanted to make a round test layout maybe with a bit of scenery so the stock can just go round and round.

I have used templot to make a curved point plan but i'm not sure about the radius aspect and what is a minimum ( i have three farish 33's and a 31 at the moment with replacement society wheels).

I just been looking at the peco N gauge setrack curved points ST 44 and 45 i fancy printing the templates and trying to build them in 2mmfs.

Reading the web the setrack curved points are 9" radius is that going to be too much for the farish diesels?.

I think i did the templot point to 18" but if i have two boards 3ft x 18" back to back that's going to be a tight circle.

Thoughts anyone remembering it's that time of year good will to all men and idiots (like me) like.

Merry Crimbo everyone.

G.

I'd be surprised if the diesels stay on 9" curves with 2FS wheels, but you could curve up some Easitrac to test. I would also expect some issues with DG couplings at that radius.

Chris