Magwatch: Hornby Magazine issue 49: July 2011

spamcan61

• RMweb Premium

Update: 6 pages or news, including photos of Kernow Beattie, and steam poll results

January ’68: 8 pages: Feature on the OO layout based on LMR in Jan. ’68 now in the acre of the Blackpool & North Fylde MRC

£20 project: 4 pages: Phil Parker details the Hornby RR Class 33

4 page preview of Hornby Live! In Hartlepool

Parker’s guide 4 pages: Phil Parker builds a G scale IoM wagon

6 pages on results on Diesel survey

Open season: 4 pages: Dave Spencer tweaks a Bachmann 13T open

2 pages letters

Outwell village:8 pages: Alan Price & Neil Rushby describe their late 40s OO model of this idiosyncratic line.

Reviews: 22 pages including Hornby tornado, Bachmann EPB and Heljan O class 26 & reality checks on Tornado and EPB.

Kernow Junction: 8 pages: Les Parry describes his OO GWR/SR layout set in Cornwall

Railway Realism: 8 pages; Evan Green-Hughes describes the end of BR mainline steam in 1968.

NEXT ISSUE: Tetley Mills and Littleton Parkway.

EDIT - There's a garden railways supplement as well

• RMweb Premium

Is the Hornby 33 that Phil details the same as the old Lima one?

Haven't had chance to read the magazine yet but I imagine it's basically the Lima body with the Hornby developed power bogie as opposed to the old school Lima pancake.

• RMweb Premium

do I pop out to the newsy to see if it's there or wait until tomorrow, decisions, decisions ......

Newsagents' copies haven't made it to the New Forest yet.

Haven't had chance to read the magazine yet but I imagine it's basically the Lima body with the Hornby developed power bogie as opposed to the old school Lima pancake.

I think it is. At least the Craftsman detailing kit and flushglaze packs fit it very nicely if it isn't - and they were designed for the Lima Model. I wish Lima had fitted mechanisms like this years ago !

5812651806_64224d0b94.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I think it is. At least the Craftsman detailing kit and flushglaze packs fit it very nicely if it isn't - and they were designed for the Lima Model. I wish Lima had fitted mechanisms like this years ago !

I was hoping the appropriate Hornby service sheet would give the answer, but there doesn't appear to be one for a Limby 33. Detailed and weathered as per your article it looks more convincing than an out of the box Heljan one, IMHO anyway.

Bought the mag today - excellent

The featured layout article "January 68" is excellent. I remember seeing this layout at Wigan exhibition several years ago, it had several authentic features of the time that are rarely modelled, disused station, PW renewals, track rationalisation etc. So good I "pinched" a couple of these ideas for my layout. Glad to see it's still on the exhibition circuit, and I shall try to get to Fleetwood to view it again. It really has the "Jan 68" atmosphere I remember when shed bashing in Lancashire back then.

Here are some you tube vids featuring this layout that may be of use as they show bits not shown in the article photos.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

..... Outwell village:8 pages: Alan Price & Neil Rushby describe their late 40s OO model of this idiosyncratic line. .....

Modesty and accuracy motivate me to point out though Alan has generously credited me as a co-builder of Outwell it's not the whole story by any means. Up to the layouts appearance at the York show in 2001 the work was split pretty evenly. Since then Alan has developed the basic layout adding many structures, much stock, the backscene and fine detailing (much of which has been seen here on RMweb) turning the bare bones into the well rounded model that it is today. In truth I'm a bit part player in the layouts history, the full and proper credit should sit fare and square with Alan.

Thanks for those links Apollo. As someone who grew up in Lancs around this time, I find 68 wonderfully evocative. It was great to see the bits like the abandoned station mentioned in the text but omitted from the photos - why do mags do this showing the same area again and again from every angle and missing out other equally interesting bits completely?

And next month - Tetley Mills - the layout that got me back into modelling after a nigh on 30 year gap!

• RMweb Premium

Well I enjoyed this month's issue.

It does seem to be getting more and more familiar names turning up in there as more and more of the authors, contributors, and layout owners/builders become RMWeb members.

I look forward to the swan song of Tetley Mills, Dave S's masterpiece layout which has inspired me every time I see it mentioned in the monthlies.

It looked like there was some good content in this edition but I was put off buying it by the inaccurate 'prototype' piece on 2 EPBs which repeats the error in the Golding book by referring to a unit that never was. :banghead:

There was no 5780, but there was a 5800, albeit a unit different to all the other BR 2 EPBs.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bought a copy today and I think its not a bad issue.

January 1968 - looks a cracking layout, not normally my era, but this looks very good indeed.

The upgrading of the Railroad 33 is an excellent article, with very clear instructional photos.

As to the rest of the Issue, only one article disappointed me and that was the Diesel Survey, it was very much 'OO' orientated, there doesn't seem to be any mention of N Gauge at all in the article. I thought the N Gauge models available could have been mentioned, even if only in the tables just to outline whats available.

But other than that, a good issue.

Oh ok Neil I'll mention Outwell Village, actually this looks very interesting and I'd like to see it in the flesh, but can't make it to Hartlepool.

Intersting debate in the letters section, about including Continental Layouts in the Magazine.

Regards

Neal.

Outwell Village will also be at the Hull Exhibition to be held on the 12th & 13th of November.

And thanks Niel for the kind words.

Anyone coming to the Hartlepool show stop by and have a chat.

Archived