BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4t

Hi,

I have recently acquired a DJH BR Class 4 2-6-4t (Kit D59) and I need to build up the steam turrett using the WM casting and 0.7mm wire. Unfortunately, the diagrams don't show a close-up of the turrett and I can't work out from the pictures how the pipes need to be bent to shape.

Has anyone got photos of either a completed model or the real thing? Just so I can get some reference. And to think, the build was going so well up to this point!!! :help:

Thanks,

Brass Monkey

Not exactly answering your request for help, can i suggest you ditch the DJH white metal castings and replace them with Alan Gibson or Sheffield Steamline items, both of which are far better representations of the real thing - steam turret, carriage warming valve, ejector steam valve, boiler feed clacks, etc. On tank engines, the injector steam valves (RHS below cab spectacle window) and the ejector control (LHS) were below the top of the side tanks, in recesses, so can probably be omitted from a model. I'd also replace the injectors with cast brass items.

BR standar fittings were just that - standard, so details from other classes give a good idea of the layout of the piping to these items. Photos appear in various reference books on BR standard locos (beware that 9F's didn't have the carriage warming valve), and the suggested fittings come with a small diagram or photo of the associated piping (I think). You could also study a Bachmann model as this is very well detailed with these fittings and piping.

Dave.

Hi

I am not exactly sure what it is you're after, but as this engine is one of my favourites, and I've built one or two of these (and still one or two to convert from the Bacchy model) here's a link to the info that I gathered and put onto Picasaweb. Hope you find what you are after.

http://www.freewebs....agphotoinfo.htm

I should say that the blue typing is the link to Picasaweb, underneath the Std cl 4 photo.

regards

Mike

post-9192-0-09280800-1307621130_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Not a class 4 but here's a couple of snaps of my DJH class 2 build

post-6717-0-56234200-1307621164_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-06641300-1307621182_thumb.jpg

As has been said, the arrangements were pretty "standard" although a good reference photo if the loco ou are modelling is a good idea as the pipwork sometimes changed from loco to loco as reairs were made etc

Thanks for your help with this chaps. The pictures and links will help with the pipework dilemma! Also the Alan Gibson catalogue has a chart that shows the fittings (and number of) required for each of the BR Standard loco classes.

Wish I had browsed it before when working on my previous projects...:rolleyes:

Brass Monkey

Thanks for your help with this chaps. The pictures and links will help with the pipework dilemma! Also the Alan Gibson catalogue has a chart that shows the fittings (and number of) required for each of the BR Standard loco classes.

Wish I had browsed it before when working on my previous projects...:rolleyes:

Brass Monkey

Hi,

Comet Models now do the sets that were Steamline or what ever, no connection, but will be getting a set for my Standard Class 4 from the original Hornby Dublo casting.

Cheers

post-6717-0-06641300-1307621182_thumb.jpg

Hello Redgate, :offtopic:,

nice looking job, but please turn the fire irons round so the handle is towards the cab.

If you think about it, the handle will be cool when put away but the 'tool' end will or maybe hot.

Also the tools had different shaped handles so the fireman would know which tool he was getting.

OzzyO.

PS. IIRC the shapes were, dart triangle, rake oblong & paddle (shovel) round.

Archived