Merchant Navy parts

• RMweb Gold

I have a feeling I might have asked this before on the old rmweb, but a search hasn't turned up any results so I guess will have to ask again.

As described in my blog I have finally got on with a project to convert my Hornby Merchant Navy to P4. As part of this I want to make some improvements to the chassis.

Given that I have been unable to find any MN specific parts, I have been looking at Comet's bits for the rebuilt West Country, I know that there are some simularitys between the two classes (the same driving wheels for a start), but are there any other bits that are in common between them.

In particular I want to replace the the front pony truck, and also the connecting rods (which have suffered a little due to living in a project box for so long.) I would also like to rebuild the tender chassis with a compensated (or more preferably sprung) sub chassis.

Moving to the electrics, is there a fitting guide for DCC in the origonal (non DCC ready) MNs?

Finally, are there any other details I should be looking to add (either stuff that has been missed off the model, or other changes to the real Clan Line in preservation.)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Horsetan for the heads up on Bill Bedford producing a set of Merchant Navy con rods, a set have now been ordered.

So that leaves finding a source for the ponytruck and knowing which tender chassis to go for......

edit: final question,

I've just come across this on the Comet site for a WC/BoB trailing truck. again same question, how similar/different is this to the MN? Would it be a possible basis for adaptation?

Thanks to Horsetan for the heads up on Bill Bedford producing a set of Merchant Navy con rods, a set have now been ordered.

So that leaves finding a source for the ponytruck and knowing which tender chassis to go for......

edit: final question,

I've just come across this on the Comet site for a WC/BoB trailing truck. again same question, how similar/different is this to the MN? Would it be a possible basis for adaptation?

In certain cases some of the Merchant Navy Locomotives kept the same tenders throughout most if not all(in a few cases)of their working lives while others swapped tenders about quite alot.

Locomotives in Detail book one in the series R J Harvey/ Ian Allen Publishing and still in print....looks at construction from the first series, through the rebuilds and will tell you what tender was paired with which locomotive and when. In the appendix section there are drawing plans to scale to show you the pipework and wheel spacing, exactly as it was built/rebuilt. Tender plans are also there. Good hunting...you'll find the book at Alton Model Centre Hants, as that's where I bought mine.

jules

• RMweb Gold

In certain cases some of the Merchant Navy Locomotives kept the same tenders throughout most if not all(in a few cases)of their working lives while others swapped tenders about quite alot.

Locomotives in Detail book one in the series R J Harvey/ Ian Allen Publishing and still in print....looks at construction from the first series, through the rebuilds and will tell you what tender was paired with which locomotive and when. In the appendix section there are drawing plans to scale to show you the pipework and wheel spacing, exactly as it was built/rebuilt. Tender plans are also there. Good hunting...you'll find the book at Alton Model Centre Hants, as that's where I bought mine.

jules

Unfortunately the Tender (as with many preserved steam locos) is rather different now to how it was in service. Even more annoyingly I have now managed to some how loose all of the photos I had found showing Clan Line's new tender in detail that I was planning to work from. IIRC the main differences are all centred around the back of the tender adding locations for air break equipment (and no doubt increasing the water capacity as well...)

Sadly it seems that for the most part people taking photos of preserved steam all concentrate on taking the same 3/4 views, rather than the collections of detail shots that seem to be available for D&E prototypes, this is causing me something of a problem in finding photos that clearly show the details that I need to work on!

________

For the other components, I've just spotted this on Comet's website

LS11 Bogie 6' 3" LNER and SR type

Looking at the diagram it looks about the same as the photos I've been working from, so I assume thats suitable?

Bulleid castings are still available under the Albert Goodall name from Shirley Goodall. She appears from time to time with the trade stand at shows like Woking, but relies on other enthusiasts to help identify the parts and do the selling for her.

According to the list I had from her, the MN trailing truck (as opposed to the front bogie) is still available - you must specify whether you want the cast or fabricated type - there were differences between Series I, II and III batches. "Clan Line" is in Series III.

A universal sprung chassis for the tender can be had from Mike Clark of Masokits Masterbits - it is designed for P4.

Moving to the electrics, is there a fitting guide for DCC in the origonal (non DCC ready) MNs?

No, but it's pretty straightforward. There is loads of room in the body. Usual thing, red and black to the track, grey and orange to the motor. If you want a photo I could do one tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

Bulleid castings are still available under the Albert Goodall name from Shirley Goodall. She appears from time to time with the trade stand at shows like Woking, but relies on other enthusiasts to help identify the parts and do the selling for her.

According to the list I had from her, the MN trailing truck (as opposed to the front bogie) is still available - you must specify whether you want the cast or fabricated type - there were differences between Series I, II and III batches. "Clan Line" is in Series III.

A universal sprung chassis for the tender can be had from Mike Clark of Masokits Masterbits - it is designed for P4.

Thanks again. will attempt to source one in the new year if I havent already managed to find one through the forum. For the time being I am going to attempt to modify the comet west country rear truck, scratch building a representation of the outer frames. At least that way I can get the loco working.

Speaking of the rear truck area, looking at this photo showing the Hornby truck in comparison with this prototype photo, shows that there is a lot more daylight between body and truck on the model. Is this just a result of the Hornby truck being underscale, or are there parts missing from the frames to provide clearance for the trucks movement?

edit: just seen your thread on oldRMWeb showing the construction of the Masokits tender chassis. will get one of those ordered now as well!

Archived