Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 40's west of Cardiff?

simon47603

Whilst looking through Flickr, I came across two photo's of 40158, sitting in Briton Ferry Sidings on the front of a ballest train. The photo's were taken on the 12 May 1983. Now I know that Forties west of Cardiff are extremely rare. I can only assume that the loco worked the train down from Crewe or Birmingham direct. ( I have tried to do a link to Flickr, but cant seem to do it.)

So two questions, would anyone one now of this Loco's working, in and out of South Wales. And secondly, are there any other known workings of the class working into South West Wales?

Many thanks

Simon

Whilst looking through Flickr, I came across two photo's of 40158, sitting in Briton Ferry Sidings on the front of a ballest train. The photo's were taken on the 12 May 1983. Now I know that Forties west of Cardiff are extremely rare. I can only assume that the loco worked the train down from Crewe or Birmingham direct. ( I have tried to do a link to Flickr, but cant seem to do it.)

So two questions, would anyone one now of this Loco's working, in and out of South Wales. And secondly, are there any other known workings of the class working into South West Wales?

Many thanks

Simon

One turned up at Danygraig FLT during the 1970s- the original driver must have worked back on something else, as an Eastern Depot driver took it back out. His apparent comment was 'B****y funny looking 68er'. I should say that I didn't witness this myself, but heard of it, via Chris Lewis, from the late Les Turner, who worked at the terminal (and whose father drove out of Eastern Depot).

40010 worked through to the blocks at Swansea High st with a return rugex from Edinburgh on 210179

40057 worked a F n W railtour to Pembroke and Fishguard back on 110983

praps the tanks to Baglan Bay from Saltend? got a few too

NR

www.leightonlogs.org

Hi guys, I have in my old notes that 40117 worked 4M83 Danygraig FLT - Dudley FLT during the last week of may 75, timings at Round Oak (location before Dudley) suggest that it was on time thereabouts so worked from Swansea, the only time ever noted on that paticular train, usually 45/46/47. cheers Andy.

Hi guys, I have in my old notes that 40117 worked 4M83 Danygraig FLT - Dudley FLT during the last week of may 75, timings at Round Oak (location before Dudley) suggest that it was on time thereabouts so worked from Swansea, the only time ever noted on that paticular train, usually 45/46/47. cheers Andy.

I wonder if Gloucester drivers(who were IIRC passed on the 40s)worked this turn between Gloucester and Danygraig?

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Gloucester drivers(who were IIRC passed on the 40s)worked this turn between Gloucester and Danygraig?

Quite possible I would think (assuming Gloucester men did know them of course). It was certainly the case in 1973 that no depot in South Wales knew them although I'm not so sure about Hereford men as EEType 4s were working over the N&W to Severn Tunnel Junction in early 1974 if not before. I put an Ebbw Driver on one one night - in the dark - having carefully explained to him that 'it's an early version of the 68 but don't for g*d's sake leave it stabled anywhere without first scotching the wheels' (the locos carried scotches for that purpose due to their abysmal handbrakes) - what he called me when we next met does not bear repetition on a public website.

One turned up at Danygraig FLT during the 1970s- the original driver must have worked back on something else, as an Eastern Depot driver took it back out. His apparent comment was 'B****y funny looking 68er'. I should say that I didn't witness this myself, but heard of it, via Chris Lewis, from the late Les Turner, who worked at the terminal (and whose father drove out of Eastern Depot).

I too recently discussed this with Chris Lewis, but my contact who worked at Cardiff's Pengam FLT in those days is away at the moment, so I am unable to put some meat on the Danygraig bones !

In addition, in about 1977/1978 a 'Rugex' returning from Edinburgh Waverley, following Scotland v Wales Five Nations match arrived at Swansea High St. hauled a Cl.40 which had 'come on' at Crewe, then allegedly, the first working of a Cl.40 into Swansea.

The Cl.40 worked the ECS back to Stockport.

I have the full details i.e. loco and date at home, and will update when the opportunity arises.

Cl.40s were rare anywhere west (down) of Maindee triangle, Newport, as they would usually work down the North & West to Severn Tunnel Junction.

In the late 70s there was a MWO Ellesmere Port - Hereford that was extended to Caerphilly on Wednesdays. I believe the train worked to the Thomas Ness plant at Caerphilly (An NCB subsidiary).

The Cl.40 was booked to come off at Cardiff, and a Cl.37 worked on to Caerphilly, but as I was living outside Cardiff then, never got to see it, so don't know if the train worked via Penarth Curve North, Radyr, Walnut Tree Jct and Aber Jct (reverse) - or (more likely) if the Cl.37 'came on the back' and ran back through Cardiff Central, up to Queen St and accessed the Thomas Ness works that way, asI don't know if there was a crossover outside the Caerphilly tar plant ?.

Jess Lomas, a Caerphilly ex-pat, believes that would be the more likely, with the return working reversing out onto the Rhymney Valley line and then running to Aber Jct (run around) and then down 'the Big Hill' to Walnut Tree Jct, Radyr etc allowing a straight run through Cardiff to the North & West.

Anyway, I digress, because on several occasions the Cl.40 ran through right to Caerphilly.

As for west of Cardiff, and Swansea, the two occasions mentioned are the only two I am aware of.

Brian R

another one for the growing list! , 40035 "Apapa" worked the memorable Welsh Central Liner Railtour from Gloucester via Cardiff and the Swansea District line then up the Cetral Wales before returning via the Marches back on 030384

Perhaps more ventured down the Central Wales from Craven arms on specials perhaps, though the Central Wales headlight requirements used on 37177 and other's from this batch of 37'ers may have prevented this on other classes in the 70s???

NR

Hereford men where trained on 40's and did once have a dia's to Danygraig and Margam, and I believe Llanelli on the Albion tanks,so could have worked one into West Wales. They had an extensive traction knowlage being a border depot between the Western and the LMR with knowlage of hydraulic classes, (at least one driver got to Heally Mills on a Cl 35 with a banana train from Barry), and LM classes such as 24's 40's 45's.

Paul J.

As mentioned above, I recently exchanged e-mails with Chris Lewis (Swansea) on this very subject, and what follows is the e-mail I sent him.

"Just after the turn of the 1970s ther was a 'dated' Guide Bridge - Cardiff parcels which ran from about Halloween to Christmas Eve, this produced either Crewe (D05 )Cl.24s, Manchester (D09) Cl.25s or Cl.40s - we would try to see as many of these workings as possible, as 24s and 40s were scarce as hens teeth, wheras Cl.25s were becoming common with more and more being allocated to Canton, Ebbw Jct and Bath Rd.

I remember racing back from STJ in October, 1971 having witnessed 6000 'KGV' on the 'return to steam' special in order to 'cop' D374 stabled on Canton, steam and 'bucket' on the same day ! No one knew what it worked in on, or what it left on.

On 9th. March, 1978 40118 arrived at Hereford working the 17:10 Cardiff - Crewe, another of the class had worked the same train the previous day. The class were quite common at Hereford, four turned up on February 27th. 40063 (HA), 40155 (KD), 40177 (SP), 40179 (KD) - a Haymarket 40 at Hereford (wow) most likely en-route to Severn Tunnel Jct.

During the latter half of 1978 there was an 01:40 MWFO Ellesmere Port - Hereford (tanks of bitumen, tar or something similar).

This train was often extended (Wednesdays Only) to Caerphilly - presumably to the (NCB) Thomas Ness tar plant .

The train was booked for Cl.40 haulage to Hereford, and on Wednesdays the Cl.40 continued on to Cardiff, where a Cl.37 was rostered to take the train on to Caerphilly.

Now, I don't know which route the train would take to reach Caerphilly - the Cl.40 could have come off at Penarth Curve (North) adjacent to Ninian Park, with the Cl.37 coupling onto the rear and then running back thro' Cardiff, up to Queen St. and through Caerphilly Tunnel to the tar plant which was twixt tunnel and station.

On the other hand, the trains could have run past my house, to Radyr, then take 'the big hill' at Taffs Well (Walnut Tree Jct) up through Penrhos and then reverse at Aber Jct.

Whatever the route, 40182 reached cardiff on 23rd August, 1978, 40186 on 30th. August and on 13th. September 40091 worked right thro' to Caerphilly. 40137 worked to Cardiff on 20th. September, 1978.

Slightly off topic, but a 07:20 caerphilly - York excursion ran on 7th. October, 1978. The ECS was Cl.37 hauled and went Canton - Central - Queen St. - Caerphilly (pick up) - Aber Jct. At Aber a Cl.47 came on the rear, and the Cl.37 came off. The train then ran down the 'big hill' to Taffs Well (Walnut Tree Jct) then through Radyr to Penarth Curve (North) to gain the main line at Cardiff West and through Central (again) and off to York. On the return, the Cl.47 came off at Cardiff Central and a Cl.37 worked up to Queen St. and Caerphilly - and, as the train was late, and some passengers had missed their onward DMU connections, the excursion was extended from Caerphilly to Rhymney.

On 21st. January, 1979 a return 'Rugex' from Edinburgh Waverley arrived at Swansea High St. behind Kingmoor's 40010, which had worked the train from Crewe. The train returned as the 23:55 ECS to Stockport. This was allegedly the first Cl.40 to reach Swansea.

As for the arrival of one on a freightliner at Burrows, I'll have to ask my mate Paul as he was working for freightliner at Pengam through the 70s - 90s.

Coming up to date, during the summer of 1987, the 'Green Goddess' 40122 (edit), by then the sole survivor, was rostered for one week on the Crewe - Cardiff and return leg of the early morning Holyhead - Cardiff."

Brian R

From the excellent Its a 40 website at http://www.itsa40.co.uk comes at least one more which i think is west of Cardiff, certainly a bit North!

40174 1541 Shrewsbury – Swansea (DMU drag) to Llandridnod Wells 070477

and i bet theres loads more west of Cardiff 40 workings tucked away in this mounatin of gen!!

cheers,

NR

www.leightonlogs.org

Coming up to date, during the summer of 1987, the 'Green Goddess' 40106, by then the sole survivor, was rostered for one week on the Crewe - Cardiff and return leg of the early morning Holyhead - Cardiff."[/i]

Brian R

That would have been 40122 not 40106 :lol:

Think 106 as withdrawn in 1983, 122 D200 was brought back into service & painted green as it was dual braked not vac only

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Interesting Ron,

I noted 40 116 at Severn Tunnel Junction on 1st June 1979, she couldn't have stuck round in South Wales for two months?

Not West of Cardiff, but I saw many 40s at STJ over the years.

Neil

Interesting Ron,

I noted 40 116 at Severn Tunnel Junction on 1st June 1979, she couldn't have stuck round in South Wales for two months?

Not West of Cardiff, but I saw many 40s at STJ over the years.

Neil

According to http://www.itsa40.co.uk she was at ManVic on 7/4/79 and in the Newcastle area on the 15th, so it looks like a "no" to that one.

As far as my memory serves (no notebooks to hand at the moment) that was the only time I ever saw a 40 in South Wales.

Rgds, Ron.

• 3 months later...

I was told by a West Wales signalman (many years ago), who later became a DI, that a 40 appeared at Carmarthen and went on to Pembroke Dock before anyone, including the Carmarthen driver who took it forward, apparently realised.

I guess he thought it was a "funny 68" as well. I cannot say myself if this story is true.

I believe Severn Tunnel Junction had at least one link of drivers with class 40 traction knowledge. It was at least one of these drivers who took 40025 to Plymouth on the F&W railtour.

The Cranmore bitumen tanks were diagrammed LMR traction (2x25 ??) so it was possible that this might have been a reason for the traction knowledge at this WR depot.

40028 was based at Severn Tunnel Jct during the last two weeks of september, 1979 for crew training prior to Cl.40s taking over the SX Garston - STJ and MX STJ - Mossend.

On Sunday 23/09/79 40028 worked the 1745 STJ - Taunton and the 2015 Taunton - Barry conveying empty Presflo wagons for Aberthaw.

It is most likely the Presflo wagons would have been tripped to Aberthaw by one of the two slow speed fitted Cl.47s then based at Barry for such work, and working MGR trains thro' the power station as the pairs of 37s then employed to and from Aberthaw were not SSR fitted.

Brian R

Archived