Hornby A4 Chimney swap

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to remove the chimney from the latest loco drive Hornby A4 models?

I am intending to take a double chimney off a scrap body and fit it to the new model of "Sparrow Hawk"

which comes, of course, with a single chimney.

I've always fancied an A4 in BR Blue with a double chimney and as far as I can see, if I renumber

and rename the model to "Sir Charles Newton" it should be correct for 1950/1951 condition with

double chimney and non corridor tender.

However removing the two chimneys to effect the swap looks like it might be hard to do without

causing damage, so I'd really appreciate hearing any experiences before I try ;)

Norm

I did this for Galtee More a few weeks ago, one chimney came out quite easily the other was well glued in.

The top of the smokebox is quite thin and flexible, I was afraid that the glue may be stronger than the surrounding plastic, but with gentle persuasion and several choice words it did come off eventually.

The insert size is the same so the chimney fits straight in but the holes in the body are made to suit the original chimney and, for some reason I can't now remember, there was an issue with them.

Also the front numberplate is in different positions depending on the chimney, not sure if the prototype had theirs moved, this points to two different body mouldings.

I did this for Galtee More a few weeks ago, one chimney came out quite easily the other was well glued in.

The top of the smokebox is quite thin and flexible, I was afraid that the glue may be stronger than the surrounding plastic, but with gentle persuasion and several choice words it did come off eventually.

The insert size is the same so the chimney fits straight in but the holes in the body are made to suit the original chimney and, for some reason I can't now remember, there was an issue with them.

Also the front numberplate is in different positions depending on the chimney, not sure if the prototype had theirs moved, this points to two different body mouldings.

Thank you both for your responses. great central - I do see your point about the body moulding itself as the double chimney version has 2 holes drilled versus one for the other.

I couldn't see that the numberplate is in a different place, but the whistle position does of course differ. Anyway, as long as the chimneys can be removed without ruining the

body, the extra chimney hole and a small hole for the whistle should be within my capabilities ;)

Norm

Norm,

it might pay you to contact "Silver Link" on here,his name is Ian and he trades as Peasholme Models.From what he has told me the jobs not an easy one.

Regards,Cutler.

Thanks Cutler I will do that. On further inspection it looks very much as though the chimney on these models is not a separate part but actually

part of the body shell

Norm

The chimney on A$'s is not part of the body shell. I've replaced singles for doubles on two examples. Both came off easily. In a similar method as described by mick lner.

Thanks for that reply davidw. I did see that there were what appeared to be a couple of pin fixing points on the inside of the body, so I will have a go with the

method described by mick lner - starting with the scrap body ;) The whistle pulls right out so no problem with that

Norm

Thanks for that reply davidw. I did see that there were what appeared to be a couple of pin fixing points on the inside of the body, so I will have a go with the

method described by mick lner - starting with the scrap body ;) The whistle pulls right out so no problem with that

Norm

I think I can finish this thread off for posterity by confirming that all the advice I received was absolutely correct. The chimneys on both versions

are held on by the whistle at the front and a small locating peg at the rear which is glued into the body. neither of mine were glued on in any

other way

I found in fact that with some courage it is even possible to remove the chimneys from the top, as follows

1) Remove whistle to free up the front (pulls right out)

2) Slide a sharp blade under the front and slide towards the rear. The locating pin is not large

and with a little judicious use of the blade - AWAY from your hand - it can be cut. Be very careful of course not to

cut into the body while you do this

It should go without saying that to replace a single with a double you'll have to drill another hole in the body corresponding

with the front chimney aperture and also re drill the locating hole for the whistle. Replacing a double with a single also presents few

issues as the front of the single chimney will cover the front hole in the body found on the double chimney body shell. The

only thing is that you won't be able to drill a hole for the whistle as it is now above the front hole You'll have to glue it

instead

Thanks to all who answered me. Now to order plates and numbers for "Sir Charles Newton" so my BR Blue

non corridor tender A4 is correct for 1950/51 - at least I think so ;)

Norm

Archived