Road widths

Hi,

Can't find any previous posts on this, but are there standard widths for building A roads and high streets etc. - appreciate back roads and country lanes vary. The residential road I live in is quite wide - but don't fancy trying to measure a main road!

Bill

• RMweb Gold

One of the first things you need to consider is do you want to model an 'old' or a new one. Old A-roads tend to be quite wide, for example the main road through Ivybridge used to be part of the A38, but is a single lane road, but is very wide, whereas the current A38 is double lane, of which each lane is approximately 8feet wide, so duel lanes, with barrier, I'd say 40ft, so 16cm in 4mm scale.

Just a basic start!

Regards,

Nick

From Transport Watch:

"The European carriageway width for a two-way road is 7m. At one time the standard for Scottish Trunk Roads was 5.5m (18 feet). Across the UK there are many “A†roads 6 metres wide where lorries and coaches operate without difficulty."

With that lovely historic detail, is it any wonder modelling sixties ScR is so appealing, when you can justifiably have a seemingly narrow main road biggrin.gif

• RMweb Premium

Has has been mentioned, the measuring tool in Google Earth isn't bad, especially if there's high-resolution imagery available of the roads your interested in. Comparing GE measurements to ones I've done with a tape-measure there's not much more than a few inches difference.

A couple of other methods:

counting the number of paces you take as you cross the road of interest and multiplying this by the length of each pace (measured in the comfort and privacy of your own house!).

Find some period photos of a road similar to the one you want to model and estimate the width from known features such as the dimensions of cars or buildings that are still standing.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

New roads, very basically:

Countryside: Single carriageway trunk road would be 7.3m with "metre" strips either side. Dual carriageway essentially twice that, with central reserve.

Housing estate roads - 6m or 5.5m.

Footway 1.8 or 2.0m.

Convert those into feet and you'll have a starting point. Or try lining up two model road vehicles side by side to get the ghist.

Trust this helps.

Cheers,

26power.

Thanks, everyone, for really useful replies. Nice to be able to get so much info so quickly! 16cm or so width looks the part for main road I wanted with bus routes and 2 4mm buses passing and fits corner of layout well. Other lesser roads to be laid later..

Thanks again,

Bill

Archived