Captain Birdseye

On MREmag today Pat H. released information that TMC have commissioned a set of three conflats with six Birds Eye liveried AFP containers. :yahoo: No more paying silly prices for Mainline lowfits just for the container!

Coded 37- 975Z they are not listed on the website yet, but are available, I've ordered two sets!! :laugh:

Cheers, :Peter C.

• RMweb Premium

As Pat at MREmag points out the Trix model was, correctly, a Conflat B - ie. very significantly longer than the Conflat A. The real things were built on 12' WB pipe wagon underframes.

The real Birds Eye & Macfisheries containers were not of the AF type at all; they were longer AFP containers. As such, two would not fit on a Conflat A, hence the building of the longer Conflat Bs.

Mainline did, (incorrectly), livery their AF container in Birds Eye livery.

If TMC are merely to re-market the inaccurate combination of Birds Eye liveried AF containers on a Conflat A, we have not progressed very far in a couple of decades, whereas Trix were getting it right half a century ago!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

And guess who has photos of the real thing: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p940006411

post-2274-0-48569300-1308922011_thumb.jpg

.... and perhaps I may be forgiven for pointing out that, if you are minded to build the 4mm. scale Genesis kit, or scratchbuild the Birds Eye containers, I can supply the transfers - see Sheet BL52 at http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/products.htm

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Looks like i may have to buy some of these! :D

I worked at the Hull Birdseye site for 17 years till it closed in 2007 ( though i still have connections with the company). Some of my older co -workers said there was talk of the site being connected with a rail siding in the 70's but nothing came of it.

A little shunting layout with my 03 sounds good!

Paul

And guess who has photos of the real thing: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p940006411

.... which includes perhaps my favourite wagon photograph http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p940006411/h1bb29b92#h1bb29b92 The unusual Conflat B as an ex Flat ED with ex Birds Eye containers repainted and numbered for Macfisheries ... and then one of them is experimental moulded plastic.

Paul Bartlett

.... which includes perhaps my favourite wagon photograph http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p940006411/h1bb29b92#h1bb29b92 The unusual Conflat B as an ex Flat ED with ex Birds Eye containers repainted and numbered for Macfisheries ... and then one of them is experimental moulded plastic.

Paul Bartlett

Nice... B) Presumably it wasn't for fish landed at Southampton, of which I guess there was very little. Just out of interest, what was the original intended use for Flat EDs and friends? Some Flats were apparently built as late as 1959.

Bill

There is a picture somewhere - I've been through my books to no avail - of a whole train of these flats with Birds Eye containers being shunted along South Quay at Great Yarmouth - this was a dockside tramway connected to the mainline at Vauxhall Station. Some of the pictures on Paul Bartlett's website were clearly taken at Yarmouth - the small vehicle in picture 3 for example carries an EX number plate which was the Yarmouth registration suffix. The Yarmouth factory was the home of fish fingers I believe as well as frozen peas. Peas were also handled at Lowestoft. Does anybody know if the containers were also seen at the Suffolk port ever?

RichardS

Yes, I can certainly remember Birdseye containers at Great Yarmouth. I can vividly remember the factory also. The only thing is I can't remember the year but 1962 rings a bell. I also have a picture of D5535 on a complete Birdseye train somewhere in my collection. It would be nice to see this new variant modelled and in Macfisheries livery too.

• RMweb Gold

There is a picture somewhere - I've been through my books to no avail - of a whole train of these flats with Birds Eye containers being shunted along South Quay at Great Yarmouth - this was a dockside tramway connected to the mainline at Vauxhall Station. Some of the pictures on Paul Bartlett's website were clearly taken at Yarmouth - the small vehicle in picture 3 for example carries an EX number plate which was the Yarmouth registration suffix. The Yarmouth factory was the home of fish fingers I believe as well as frozen peas. Peas were also handled at Lowestoft. Does anybody know if the containers were also seen at the Suffolk port ever?

RichardS

From what I remember as a kid visiting Lowestoft on holiday (where my Grandad worked as a fitter at Lowestoft shed - and got me into trains :laugh: ) the Birds Eye factory at Lowestoft was on the low ground below the upper part of the old town and I'm not sure if it was rail connected. The Co-op also had a pea processing factory on the south-side of the harbour which was connected to the Lowestoft South Branch.

Keith

Thanks, Chris I'll look for that book.

Keith - thanks, yes the factory was on the North Denes. Although the fish docks were rail connected I agree that I don't remember it at the BE factory. I just wondered if they loaded them in the main station yard. Can remember waiting for trains to cross the road near the main Lowestoft bridge - now the bridge causes enough delays on its own!! :-)

Very characteristic smell of fish in stations - can remember it at Norwich Thorpe too!

RichardS

• 2 weeks later...

We have had several RM Web customers who had concerns over the security of our website. All I was doing was letting those customers know that the new website is now live so they have the opportunity to use the website. I promised that I would make people aware once the new website was live and I am a man of my word. If I have posted something in a wrong forum please let me know and I will remove/edit it as you wish :)

Sorry; it just came across as spamming as you'd posted it in 5 separate topics in quick succession. Such behaviour is not fair upon forum sponsors and those who have had sought permission before posting information.

No worries Andy and I apologise for any inconvenience or confusion caused. The new website is fantastic and we are very proud of it. It's cleared up any issues we had with regards to security and I just want to shout out about it and let everyone know it's up and running :) Have a look at it if you get chance. Thank you for taking the time to call us.

• 9 months later...

These arrived yesterday. Though the pleasure of owning them has been dampened by the price rise.

Paul

At risk of being a 'me too', mine also arrived yesterday, accompanied by a debit card slip for £39.49.

Can't remember how much they were when I ordered them when first announced, nor postage details.

My card had not been processed until 30th April, but as it was current, TMC hadn't contacted me since confirming receipt to the order way back.

Yes, they are nice looking wagons, etc, but I think I prefer to buy (when possible) from other establishments who make more effort to keep the customer informed!

Richard

In the December 2011 Model Rail, the price for the Birds Eye conflats was £29.99, and I ordered a set by phone at that price (not received yet). An increase to £34.99 is 17%, by my reckoning. If (!) I'm charged the higher price I'm tempted to put the credit card transaction in dispute.

When OO Works had to increase the price of their Midland 2F they had the decency to write and warn me, offering to cancel the order. I note that TMC has posted earlier in this thread, including the phrase "I am a man of my word". Draw your own conclusions...

If you look on their web site under Terms and Conditions,Prices and Procedures,5.4,I think they have themselves covered with this increase.All I can say is that it would have been good if their custom service dept had contact customers who had ordered these to see if they still wished to purchase them.

Pete.