Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Leon

With 37800 getting chipped at long last Class 37 fans get to see a rare triple header. 800 just needs to be detailed and weathered, hopefully over the weekend. The Mainline 09 (out of place I know) has also had a chip fitted so all 10 locos are playable...Two shunters work the layout, one in the yard - the mainline for now and 09/1 carrying trainload metals livery works the steelworks and docks.

post-5554-0-89194500-1305832517_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-09459800-1305832534_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-00762900-1305832591_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

i like it Leon. I bought the same background for my TMD only Yesterday! But I think it suits the industrial expanse of your layout beter. And I didn't know it was Wales! I bought it because I thought it looked like a fair representation of the industry around Teesside (Even though I knew it wasn't Teesside).

Guy

Thanks Guy, yeah im 99% sure its Margam, Port Talbot and a bit of Baglan Bay. You can even see part of Margam Yard complete with 08 and also part of the Margam Wagon Works, the mountains in the background are part or the end of Margam Country Park.

if someone proves me wrong I will be gutted...! lol.

How is your one coming along I will have a look.

Thanks for your thoughts, I think it will stay now and I will just tidy the edges up over the weekend.

Thanks David, will do. Its Gaugemaster, Hattons £7 comes in 3 sections. I bought it for another part of the layout, a gap I had next to the stacked containers. But I felt it opened the yard up putting it there, the warehouse that was there now fills the gap next to the containers so all worked out well in the end..lol.

Supurb Leon, it looks great! Nice to see the 37's, I currently have 4 but in a completely different colour.... more on that later. Ive been thinking about backscenes, it has to be the weakest part of my layout, especially as at the moment its a piece of hardboard painted blue...

Your efforts have sold it to me I think....

Just need the right one. Thats the next challenge.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Leon,

Latest pic are great, really like the steel liv 37, backscenes are a big YES.:yahoo: As you say it opens up the layout and really brings it alll together, I really must sort out some for Llanbourne.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Leon,

I like the gas storage tank, looks very nice indeed.

The back scenes look really good, certainly gives the layout that industrial look and feel.

Loving the Grid and 60 action. Whenever I see your 062 it makes me want to get one and re-number it as 002 or 003!

I agree with Peter, the Metals 37 on the OCAs looks Fab, nice weathering on the wagons.

Some work done over the weekend, pics to follow in the week,

For those that are interested I went down to Margam on the mountain bike today and took some pics.

They are posted in the Industrial area.

Leon

With Margam now staying as a back drop to the layout ( Thanks all who commented and helped with my decision ) In what little time I seem to have I filled the damaged areas left from the warehouses with bushes and scrub.

Getting a little bored of the locos I have now and the pics are starting to repeat so hopefully next month I am looking to get a 37/7 and turn it into 37709 wearing Freight Petroleum decals and Ripple Lane Plaques. I use to see Ripple Lane 37/7 on the way to Baglan or Llandary IIRC. Problem is I have a shortage of stock to use. Need to get some TTA's and more TEA's, more HEA's to make up a rake as I have three coal 37's, more trainload metals stock for the 37 and 56. Looking back I don't think I should have wasted money on the Rfd 37/4 and freightliner stock..dry.gif However I have my eye on Bachmanns mainline liveried 37 to form a brace on the freightliners.. May well change 37406 to "Loch Eli Outward Bound" I think there was more chance of seeing that loco in S Wales as it was at St Blazey more than 406 ever being here, I wanted a Tinsley 37 but don"t recall an Tinsley 37/4's ????? Suggestions needed...

Anyway took a few pics, 09 shunting some ballast wagons, a rather well kept 60 arriving on the tanks then departing with coal empties to Tower and Rfd 37 waiting with its train.

37800 is on the kitchen worktop waiting for nameplates and arrows to be fitted along with all the pipework, then its a blast in front of the airbrush and back to the attic to join the waiting Railfreight HEA's.

post-5554-0-87303800-1306177655_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-22983300-1306177779_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-53023100-1306177818_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-65648200-1306177850_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-22762400-1306177884_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-99985700-1306177901_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-18424900-1306177944_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Leon

Great pics as usual.

I have ordered 2 of the Gaugemaster backscenes today from modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk (on offer at £6.25 each). How have you stuck yours on? Do you need to use wallpaper paste or something or will that make them bubble?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Leon

Great pics as usual.

I have ordered 2 of the Gaugemaster backscenes today from modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk (on offer at £6.25 each). How have you stuck yours on? Do you need to use wallpaper paste or something or will that make them bubble?

Thanks

Dave

Thanks Dave & David

Dave, I made the mistake of using watered down pva onto thin board, it started to curl the paper and crease so I think wall paper paste will do the same so caution..Once you start there is no going back.

If I was to put more up I think I would just use those little sticky pads in each corner and a few along the lenght. That way you have not got glue and paste everywhere which I think will be easier to work.

Let me know how it goes and take some pics, good luck.

Dave, I made the mistake of using watered down pva onto thin board, it started to curl the paper and crease so I think wall paper paste will do the same so caution..Once you start there is no going back.

Leon

What about using power pritt, stronger than the usual pritt sticks. It successfully laid a templot plan, with no curling on plywood baseboards...just a thought.

Mike

Hey up Leon

Its been a while since I've been on here and must admit I do like the backscene and the other items that you have added.

The backscene is great and gives good depth of field - it almost looks as if the sun is shining in the distance highlighting the industrial background which I like.

Good stuff!

Trev

Hi Leon

On the11/5/98, I spent the evening at Cardiff Central. I have a photo of 37412 in Railfreight Grey with the Transrail Big T logo on the side, rolling through the station. I know that it then, went on to Canton. I cant remember ever seeing a Tinsley 37/4 at Canton, or for that matter a Laira based one either.

Simon

Hi Leon,

Love those latest pics.B) I quite like your freightliner wagons it adds a bit of variety. As for your 37/4s I think St Blazey locos would be the go, I think I posted this pic before but but here are two St Blazey based 37s (well pretty sure 37413 is), on the Silver bullets at Newport, the train went through the station then about an hour later came back having run round the train.

Here is 37412 that Simon mentioned, my pic was taken in 1995. I scanned this Dutch liv 37 for you as well, I think it would look quite at home on your layout.:lol: Oh and a 56 to keep the Grid fans happy.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-47447800-1306318677_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-99324400-1306318713_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-37633100-1306318738_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-43194000-1306318773_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Peter, I aways like looking at your pictures I use to have lots I took at Newport at the sametime..maybe we was on the same platform..

The Dutch 37 i have wanted for a while but cant find the Bachmann one anywhere and not paying what they want for the Vi verson, all that money and you have to finish building it yourself...lol.

Once again thanks for the posts I really look forward to seeing the pics, I will defo go with changing 406 to a more local St Blazey loco, Was 412 named "driver John Elliot" and 413 "Loch Eli" ?