Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Leon

Fantastic!

I'm glad to see your efforts on weathering this loco. It was looking painfully plastic before, but you've given it a healthy coat of real world there!

Although belated, the larger buffers get my vote too.

Great result! :D

Lee

I wanted to add vertical streaks down the side where water/grime has un off but was unable to get the airbrush fine enough.. :(

Use a cotton bud dampened with thinners and rub it vertically down the side of the loco leaving the streaks you desire.

I've added a couple of examples of mine done with this method. (Ignore the wonky buffer on Mainline Blue one!!)

Rob

post-7372-0-22163500-1326658888_thumb.jpg

post-7372-0-20829600-1326658901_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Looks great Leon almost a completely different loco now.

I was going to say abouit the cotton bud technique for the streaks but someone beat me to it, I also use dry brushing to get the effect too. Interested to see the numbers appear to have come off, was that deliberate or by accident? I thought I'd read that Vi Trains numbers are difficult to remove that has put me off buying any of their locos for renumbering.

Nice work Leon, definatly takes that plastic look away.

I agree with the front ends, i would virtually take alot off just leaving it around the lights etc and in the small recesses, and tone down the sides but not to much, more off around the cab doors, but looking good, have a quick look at the front end on the pic further up this page and you can see that even hard worked its not to caked in grime.

Nice work though Leon, keep it up

Thanks guys, thanks for the pics Rob the 60's are the best model and yours look fantastic, Rob & Ian, do you paint the streak on first and then use a cotton wool bud to make the run or do I still need the airbrush ? still not too clear on how you get the effect sorry.

With the numbers Ian, it was a mistake, I was very supprised they came off, the name on 37800 caused me trouble when trying to remove. The number comes of easy but not the unoffical name.. I think I will put numbers back on as I have not seen that many with faded numbers that bad.

Cheers Mas, I will remove more grime from the cabs after what you said and looking at more 47's

Thanks to James,Lee and 541 also.

Had a bit of action tonight on a freightliner, bit of paint on the wheels and the lack of run in caused a few stalls.

Thanks again all.

Leon

Hi Leon,

Thanks for the compliment on the 60's.

I use the airbrush to put the paint on in the general area I need it and then take it off where I don't with the damp cotton bud.

I can't take any credit for the technique, I got the idea off the Model Rail weathering DVD. It's worth getting!!

Rob

Hi Leon

Its been a while since I have been on here, but you seem to have made some quality progress!

Liking the 60 weathering - One minor point - I always glue the buffers of my 60's as the heads have the annoying habit of swivelling round at the most imnopportune moments (i.e. when taking a photo!) - this makes sure thay are always straight.

Do you plan on weathering 37506? Try and steer clear of doing too much on the bodysides - this is something I have found out through trial and error, and stick to a reference photo if you have one.

Other than that - top job!

Cheers

Trev

Edited by big T

Thanks Trev,

The class 60's are in fact Robs fine work and are not mine, however I would love to own those two fine examples..

Bit of an update, with no money to spend on the layourt as yet I decided to weather Tractor 506, after overdoing 47322, 506 has only recieved a light coat and can be seen stabled in the yard adjacent to the wagon works and a MGR rake.

post-5554-0-57174300-1326992002_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-74600900-1326992019_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks James, the Hornby 56's are a superb loco, South Wales needs alot more, wish they were cheaper than the £100 though.

On the hit list is another two Trainload Metals, Trainload Coal, BR Blue and possibly Large Logo Railfeight.

I have been wanted to add rain/grim streaks down the sides from the grill but have not been able to manage it yet..

Thanks again

Leon.

They run very well, my points are not the cleanest and the Hornby 56 & 60 are fantastic. I have to run mine at slow speed as the HAA derails so keeps it nice and realistic. What 56 are you looking to get ?

To be hounest the only locos that stall on points are my three Vi's and the two Hornby shunters, later due to short wheel base. I think the lenght of the 56 & 60 helps as both sets of bogies are never just on the points..

Good evening all, took some quick snaps whilst having a bit of a play with the bachmanns.

47322 gets help from a Rfd 37 on a freightliner into the docks, a Thornaby 37, 506 leaves South Wales with some coil, super shunter 09107 collects a brake van from the steelworks and a few shots of the depot area and bare yard.

post-5554-0-93436700-1327085366_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-99159700-1327085399_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-61229300-1327085428_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-25054600-1327085461_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-78645900-1327085504_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-01440900-1327085540_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-12213200-1327085567_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-10450100-1327085597_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-84307700-1327085618_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-61032200-1327085644_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi James, thanks for making it your wallpaper, some parts of the layout dont photo very well but that one is a fav of mine also, photos usally pick out all the bad bits such as wonking buffers etc...lol.

Hopefully when I get some money I can continue adding more detail.

All the best

Leon

HI Leon, I've been watching the progress with the locos and layout, its looking really good, I envy you in the fact that your layout is established enough to operate, I'm sure mine would be too if I just focussed on finishing one.. lol

Hopefully coming your way in March on a railtour around south wales "The coal grinder" from pathfinder tours... 37 haulage too so get out with your camera!

Cheers

Scott

Hi Leon, some great pics there mate, 47322 is looking good and id be tempted to add some light streaks down the sides of 37506, some nice subtle weathering on it though, nice work, bit cleaner than my grubby locos, i think mine need to visit your loco washers.:)

Thanks T,

I have been wanting to add exhaust smoke to all the loco's but not sure the best way. Any sugestions? Air brush, paintbrush or powders ?.

On another note,found a new job and treated myself to a new loco, I really should have spent the money on building up the wagon fleet or more scenic detail. maybe next payday...

Now for a bit of a quiz I think...

Question - Can anyone guess what the new locomotive is ???

Edited by Leon
  • Like 1