Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Leon

Leon,

37416 was allocated to Canton during 1994 (it was definitely on the books on April 23rd.) at which time it was in 'Mainline' livery and carried the unofficial name 'Mt Fuji' which I believe 'may' have been applied when it was based at Tinsley.

I took the attached photos in a ten minute spell at canton in the early 90s - unfortunately I don't have the date to hand.

37416 came off the servicing shed and reversed into the carriage shed.

37422 came off the carriage shed and ran down onto the servicing shed.

Shortly after a pair of 31s led by 31408 (I think the other was 31456) struggled past heading down the mainline on a 'crankex'.

I hope this helps.

Brian R.

post-1599-0-50012200-1341610995_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-23967400-1341611146_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-58411300-1341611164_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

37/4s in intercity mainline werent that rare in south wales at all. 37430 Cwmbran carried the colour scheme and was Cardiff allocated till 1991 when shipped via Immingham to Scotland! 37431 was also around and this did have the petroleum logos on it. In terms of others they certainly made it down from Crewe to work the loco hauled Weymouth service later on and there were also the Laira 37/4s (417 and 420 come to mind) which worked the silver bullets. If Laira couldnt fix one they were normally sent to Canton for work.

Paul

Thanks David, thats the shot I was after 426 with the tanks from Hull to Baglan, 37415 is on its way from Model zone, will either keep it as 415 but remove the Thornaby Kingfisher and add Mt Fuji or renumber to 426 and add the unnoficial volcano name.

Thanks again all.

Leon

Now that is a depot I'd like to get round. Must be a Sunday. Think I saw a gap in the fence I can sneak through.

Looking good Leon, the SWF allocation is looking impressive. Scenic side is also really good. My favourite shot is the one with the excavator on the mound of dirt.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good evening all,

Looking for some input from you guys, I have for a long time been wanting a name for the marshelling yard at the centre of the layout. I did not want a real life name such as the yards at East Usk or Magam, although thats is where the idea came from as this yard bares no resemblance. Need some sugestions for names, what I did want is an actual place name like Moorland Yard, something East or West etc I have been on Google earth looking at area's around Margam and Newport and a few street names around Tidal, the main thing is that it sounds right as there will be yard signs produced.

Many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Leon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening all,

Looking for some input from you guys, I have for a long time been wanting a name for the marshelling yard at the centre of the layout. I did not want a real life name such as the yards at East Usk or Magam, although thats is where the idea came from as this yard bares no resemblance. Need some sugestions for names, what I did want is an actual place name like Moorland Yard, something East or West etc I have been on Google earth looking at area's around Margam and Newport and a few street names around Tidal, the main thing is that it sounds right as there will be yard signs produced.

Many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Leon

Hi Leon,

One of the things I have learnt wandering around exhibitions is how many layouts include locos, coaches, places, buildings, streets, and businesses etc that are named after people they know and it seems to work very well.

Good luck with finding a name.

• Like 1

Hi Leon,

Only just caught up with this new-look thread

and I'm glad I did :)

It's great, as I would have expected

There are some nice prototype shots submitted by other rmweb members here too....

great stuff - keep us posted with updates

Cheers

Marc

• RMweb Premium

Hi Leon (again)

I must confess I don't know the area well and looking on Google maps I'm not sure where the yards you mention are. However looking at the maps of the Newport area there appears to be a yard not too disimilar to yours on a curve close to the docks the name nearest is Maesglas. Maybe East (or West) Maesglas yard or Maesglas east yard etc..........

Other suggestions:

St Woolos

Clytha Park

Clyffard Street

Llandaff Street

Coldra Road

• RMweb Premium

East Usk Yard mentioned by Leon is to the East of Newport.

Is that where the triangle of lines is with Maindee depot marked on it?

I like St Woolos yard myself, perhaps without the St, East Woolos Yard or Woolos East Yard? (Its the name of the hospital that I've been to whilst working!)

Over to you Leon.

Is that where the triangle of lines is with Maindee depot marked on it?

I like St Woolos yard myself, perhaps without the St, East Woolos Yard or Woolos East Yard? (Its the name of the hospital that I've been to whilst working!)

Over to you Leon.

It's just to the east of the Maindee triangle:-

http://goo.gl/maps/hCjIr

How about Liswerry? It's where my grandfather was born- in those days, it would have been open country.