How long after nationalisation were the Big Four Livery schemes still visible ?

brian777999

• RMweb Gold

Hi. In the book 'Hudson's Way - The Story Of The York-Beverley Railway' by Stephen Chapman, on page 35 there is reference to class 4F 0-6-0 43906 of Royston working the York to Market Weighton pick-up goods in early 1963, with the letters LMS still visible on the tender sides - with the BR totem partially covering the M.

All the best,

Market65.

A friend of mine has a photo dated 1963 showing a Gresley full brake still in varnished Teak (although now looking quite tatty) with BR style numbers applied,  I'm also fairly sure one of my Larkin NPCCS books shows an LMS steel full brake in LMS livery in about 1960.

• 4 weeks later...

Not quite what the OP asked for but 42073 or 42085 when it was withdrawn in 67, so that was about 12 years after the later totem arrived on the scene. So it "may" have still had the paint on it from when it was built when it was withdrawn. IIRC built Brighton 1952.

OzzyO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

As an aside (presuming this is an old thread) I wonder how many mundane locos which where previously black or green just simply received new lettering/numbers and/or crests and carried them through to the end rather than receiving a full repaint, colour pictures of the era do not really help as it is hard to tell ? many big 4 locos got black wartime livery.

Somewhere in that giant resource that is David Hey's on-line collection is a photo of a parcels train in the southern suburbs of London, the first vehicle of which is an LNER 'BG' (I'm no good on types or designations of LNER stock), which in teak finish, the photo having been taken in the early 1960s.

Parcels vans were famous for being so filthy that the livery was simply "brake block dust and soot, with oily patches near the door hinges", but this particular one is actually pretty clean, making the livery clear.

I suspect that,beneath the ancient crust of muck, a few parcels vans might even have been in pre-grouping liveries until the 1970s, some were definitely in early BR colours, but it genuinely was impossible to be sure!

K

PS: and, of course, many Bulleid coaches were green throughout, having been painted thus when built, up to c1953, and never painted in BR standard livery before green was re admitted. SR EMUs were also green throughout. Exactly which of the forty shades was used when is the subject of mile-long threads, so best left at that!

Archived