Halfords colours

The made up cans tend to be more expensive, £12 or so, the nozzles are different and dont seem to spray as well and the standard cars.

I ended up decanting the paint and using an airbrush to touch up a scratch on the car.

• 7 years later...

Well it's 7 years since the last post on this topic. 
I came across it as I am looking for a spray can colour for the cream in a blood and custard duo.  Halfords do not appear to stock the Gazelle beige and it's not in the Hycote range.
Can anyone suggest an alternative match in a spray can please?

11 minutes ago, wellseasoned said:

I came across it as I am looking for a spray can colour for the cream in a blood and custard duo.  Halfords do not appear to stock the Gazelle beige and it's not in the Hycote range.

I use these 2

BR coach cream Vauxhall gazelle beige

BR coach cream (well worn) Peugeot antelope beige

Another topic is this one for halfords paint

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41328-colour-matches-for-halfords-rattle-cans/&tab=comments#comment-443029

10 hours ago, wellseasoned said:

I used Hycote  Ford Sierra Beige.

• RMweb Gold

It seems that many of the colours on the lists that get referred to (the RAF Kinloss one, or the Bradford MRC one) seem to be of colours that are discontinued. Whats needed is an updated list, referring to currently available paints in the Halfords range. 

I know some people will say "But go to company X, they will mix any colour you like" - but the point is surely that the Halfords spray cans are a) cheap b) reliable and dont clog up and c) very readily available. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi Wellseasoned,

It's a while since I last used Gazelle Beige (Hycote) and it worked well for me especially on top of a white primer.  Searching around you might like to try this site on ebay, but I cannot vouch for their product as I've not tried them myself https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Carlton-Car-Body-Paint-BASECOAT-AEROSOL-TOUCH-UP-SCRATCH-REPAIR-MIXED-/391735802784?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall&var=660796114858&hash=item5b3545fba0:m:m389iw0QvDcunByVIEJ9VTw

As an aside I have found Ford Aporto red to be a good match for the Bachmann version of crimson which is arguably a little dark.  If you are not trying to match Bachmann then the Aporto red over a white primer gives, in my opinion, a very good match for the real thing.

Keep us posted on the forum if you do have any success with my suggested supplier.

Hi all,

As this looks like a general paint thread now. Can I ask a question. What is the best paint and the best way to get a good yellow coverage for BR diesel front ends. A coverage the does not look like it has been put on with a damp mop.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

As this looks like a general paint thread now. Can I ask a question. What is the best paint and the best way to get a good yellow coverage for BR diesel front ends. A coverage the does not look like it has been put on with a damp mop.

Thanks.

Yellow needs a white primer for the pigment to properly show, any matt white primer will do.  For colour accuracy, it depends on what era, I personally use Precision Paints

3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Vauxhall mustard yellow from Halfords over white primer is good for the warning panel yellow.

Would you say it was a good match for pre or post 84 yellow?  On a car it looks more suitable for post 84, but what about applied on a model?

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Decide for yourself. These ones in the photos have been done using the Vauxhall yellow.

Some nice work on your thread!

Looks a match for post 84 but still quite hard to judge  I'll pick a can up and see.  I've a couple of rf grey locos to repaint 

On 29/08/2019 at 09:01, JohnR said:

It seems that many of the colours on the lists that get referred to (the RAF Kinloss one, or the Bradford MRC one) seem to be of colours that are discontinued. Whats needed is an updated list, referring to currently available paints in the Halfords range. 

I know some people will say "But go to company X, they will mix any colour you like" - but the point is surely that the Halfords spray cans are a) cheap b) reliable and dont clog up and c) very readily available. 

Thank you to those who have replied with suggestions.
I have visited two large Halfords and two branches of Trago Mills in Cornwall that stock the Hycote range of spray cans.  They do not stock the colours suggested for B.R. cream, so I can only conclude these are now obsolete colours.  Therefore suggested colours could do with an update.
I have found the Ford Rosso red which is readilly available from both outlets to be a good partner for the cream. 

I am currently doing a bit of an experiment.
B&Q have a paint mixing facility for Valspar paints. They claim to be able to mix some 2 million colours. I once took a mossy green kitchen cabinet door to them which they scanned. They produced some paint that was an identical match. Yesterday I went to B&Q with a 5cmx5cm swatch of Railmatch acrylic B.R. cream.  They scanned it to produce a match pot for me.  Now, it is an emulsion paint and after another coat or two and some days drying it will need a spray of gloss varnish to assist the decal adhesion. Using Railmatch acrylic I need to airbrush 3 coats to get the depth of colour.
My "experiment " may prove to be a no-no, only time will tell. I'm attaching a photo taken yesterday that shows how close they can match colours, and how much of the tester pot I got for £3. 

It may prove inadequate for coach painting, but it does show that your local B&Q could mix a specific colour that you may want for a rock face, fields, backscene etc. 

P8305228.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1