Comet Stove R

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for ressurecting this old topic, but I can't see the point in starting another for the sake of it. I am in the middle of building a Comet LMS Stove R for c. 1939 and had just assembled most of the underframe (up to the solebar stage) and about to fit the buffer beams, and have assembled the two ends and sides of the body.

I noticed on the pics above, several rivet dimples in the solebar, but there are no guide marks on the etch. I have an LMS Coach book, but there is no refernece to the Stove R so difficult to see where these should be. Does anyone have a guide?

Also, the solebars appeared too long. I have filed the solebars and underframe floor so it fits neatly inside the body as per the instructions, but it appears I need to take another 1mm off in order for the buffer beam to fit in the slots just behind the ends of the body. Is this correct, or do the buffers sit level or do they protrude beyond the ends?

I have also found the sides are quite flexible and there doesn't seem as though there is anything in the kit other than the roof to prevent them from warping. Should I fit strengtheners in the middle or will the roof be sufficient on its own?

Thank you

Ian

Ian, I built one some years ago and I've since sold it.  Here's my thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87302-building-an-lms-stove-r-that-works/

My original intent was to fix up the Dapol Stove R (the underframe is a non-starter for me.  Nothing wrong with the body mould, but the LMS central lining is off).   It became such a dogs breakfast , I threw up my hands and did the Comet kit.

HTH

John

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for ressurecting this old topic, but I can't see the point in starting another for the sake of it. I am in the middle of building a Comet LMS Stove R for c. 1939 and had just assembled most of the underframe (up to the solebar stage) and about to fit the buffer beams, and have assembled the two ends and sides of the body.

I noticed on the pics above, several rivet dimples in the solebar, but there are no guide marks on the etch. I have an LMS Coach book, but there is no refernece to the Stove R so difficult to see where these should be. Does anyone have a guide?

Also, the solebars appeared too long. I have filed the solebars and underframe floor so it fits neatly inside the body as per the instructions, but it appears I need to take another 1mm off in order for the buffer beam to fit in the slots just behind the ends of the body. Is this correct, or do the buffers sit level or do they protrude beyond the ends?

I have also found the sides are quite flexible and there doesn't seem as though there is anything in the kit other than the roof to prevent them from warping. Should I fit strengtheners in the middle or will the roof be sufficient on its own?

Thank you

Ian

Only tips I could give, having not built this particular Comet Kit, would be:

1. use decal rivets

2. fit plasticard 'bulkheads' in (say) three places giving lateral bracing to prevent the  sides being in danger of 'denting' you wont see them if they are placed nearly away from the windows.

3. gluing the roof, as advised in the Comet Coach Building booklet, will give linear strength.

Hope this helps

Phil

• RMweb Premium

thank you for that. I note there is quite a gap under the roof ends, so I assume I need to file down the edge of the roof for a close fit.

thanks

Ian

Possibly, or fill it. As Comet suggest you make the body, ends and roof as a 'unit' then I'd put some nice Evostick glue on the inside of the end roof join (when it is starting to go off. On the outside just use some modelling filler. Shape carefully as a dentist would a filling and then use a GF pen to finish it when it has hardened. Other methods are available of course but this is a simple solution that I use.

Phil  

Archived