Harbour Branches

Matador

On a similar note, I am looking specifically for pictures of Burghead and Inverness Harbour.

I have the couple of pictures of the Caley tank at Inverness on the Ness Bridge and a few at the station at Burghead, but nothing at the actual harbour section of either. If anybody knows of any I would be grateful etc...........

Going back to the original poster, look up Aberdeen harbour, this is very interesting and is relatively well photographed (not that I have many pictures - sorry).

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps this is the plaice to create a list of Scottish harbour/dock lines - it may even winkle out some pics. Who knows, maybe I'll even get round to mackerel one....

Kirkcaldy

Burntisland

Rosyth

Dundee

I'll get my skates on and see if I've any pics - perhaps Ernie's wife knows if he has - give herring.

That's quite enough dreadful puns for one evening.....

Matador

What type of harbour are you thinking of? Are you thinking of somewhere large with passenger liners/ferries and big cargo ships, like Southampton or Dover, or something simpler in terms of a harbour that mainly served one industry? In the latter category would come places like:

Portmadoc - slate

Aberystwyth - Lead ore

Saundersfoot - coal/iron

Ridham Dock - paper

Perhaps this is the plaice to create a list of Scottish harbour/dock lines - it may even winkle out some pics. Who knows, maybe I'll even get round to mackerel one....

Kirkcaldy

Burntisland

Rosyth

Dundee

I'll get my skates on and see if I've any pics - perhaps Ernie's wife knows if he has - give herring.

Also Charlestown (as mentioned in another thread). There was a branch serving the harbour (and adjacent lime kilns?) which after truncation became the headshunt for RNAD Crombie.

Perhaps this is the plaice to create a list of Scottish harbour/dock lines

That's a big subject! Some from around the Clyde:

Portpatrick

Stranraer

Cairnryan

Girvan

Ayr

Troon

Irvine

Ardrossan

Greenock

Port Glasgow

Renfrew

Paisley

Glasgow (many, many!)

Clydebank

Bowling

Dumbarton

Faslane

Campbeltown

(and I`m bound to have missed some)

Plus railway piers at Ardrossan (two), Fairlie, Wemyss Bay, Gourock, Greenock and Craigendoran.

Kirkcaldy

Burntisland

Rosyth

Dundee

Bruce

Neither the time nor the plaice for this type of frivollity

• 2 weeks later...

Matador

What type of harbour are you thinking of? Are you thinking of somewhere large with passenger liners/ferries and big cargo ships, like Southampton or Dover, or something simpler in terms of a harbour that mainly served one industry? In the latter category would come places like:

Portmadoc - slate

Aberystwyth - Lead ore

Saundersfoot - coal/iron

Ridham Dock - paper

A small 12' x 2' layout plus a fiddle yard I have a feeling it will end up being a mix of prototype ideas rather than an actual prototype,

David

A Brit in the USA

• 5 weeks later...

Guys,

Issue 113 of the NBR Study Group Journal has an article on the Kirkcaldy Harbour branch - the focus is on a couple of the accidents which occurred there (if you're familar with the branch you'll guess the nature of the accidents!!) - but much background information is given as well. The rest of the issue is pretty good too.

Bruce

I can only find one online pic of the Garlieston Harbour Tramway (courtesy of Irishswissernie of this parish) but it's a beaut:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5918752346/in/set-72157627028773863

There are some more modern pictures here http://marinas.com/view/marina/11750_Garlieston_Harbour_SC showing the feed mill and industrial buildings on the quayside itself before the mill was demolished and replaced with holiday let pixie houses. The harbour branch ran under the mill (the lines were still there until demolition) and at one time turned through 90 degrees via a wagon turntable to run along the breakwater.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Garlieston Harbour branch is an interesting one...I found photos, one of the harbour with a Caley 0-6-0 ahunting under the granary and two of the station, in Robotham's 'Branches & Byways - SW Scotland & the Border Counties' remaindered by Ian allan bookshops

I've never seen a track plan of the harbour or the station (which you can work out from the photos), would be interested to see one

Dava

...I've never seen a track plan of the harbour or the station.... would be interested to see one

Go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html type in the co-ordinates 248100 and 546200,

then select the 1908 pre.WW11 1:2500 map, click on the 'Enlarge Map' button,

then the 'zoom' (+) pointer and you should see the line beyond Garlieston Goods Station and onto the pier/harbour (once it's all in focus, be patient).

OK - I started with Garlieston (this centered in the middle of the Bay), then adjusted the co-ords to bring the required area into 'middle' view.

Oooops reading your brief note, forgot the Station, you will need to alter the first co-ord to 247900 to see line to Goods Station, sans pier,

any more help, well I think that will do for now.... :-)

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to Jim and Penlan, curiosity satisfied on the matter of Garlieston harbour! Maybe a project for the future, although the turntable-served sidings would limit operating interest unless replaced. Not one for now as my English light railway commands attention.

Dava

Thre is a great selectionm of photos of Aberdeeen harbour from the end of the 19th Century here: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/historic/harbour/Intro.shtml

The collection is now in Aberdeen University Library and has been digitiosed - and is searchable. Mind you the labelling of photos often isnt much cop so you are best to put in/search specific years to see what there is.

Don't forget Fort William where there were two. The main line to the old station beside Loch Linnhe used to continue along the quayside for a couple of hundred yards and included a short run round loop. There was a topic on Fort William Station on RMWeb a couple of years ago which included a detailed plan. I don't know whether the quayside extension was used for general goods or just to carry coal for the steamers The 3 foot gauge Lochaber Narrow Gauge Railway just outside Fort William ran from a fairly long jetty on Loch Linnhe with quite a complex set of tracks on it. 

There was also quite extensive quayside track at Campbeltown on the 2ft 3in gauge Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway in Kintyre. 

A small 12' x 2' layout plus a fiddle yard I have a feeling it will end up being a mix of prototype ideas rather than an actual prototype,

David

A Brit in the USA

Hi,

If you are restricted to a very small layout then I think you need to have more interesting or unusual rolling stock to keep the interest. The Sou' West built some 'interesting' dock tanks so you could consider something similar. Here are a couple.post-6089-0-62255700-1357245244.jpg

No 269 of the 266 Class.  0-4-4T Dock Tanks are quite unusual but interesting for all that.

post-6089-0-16264000-1357245270.jpg

The 272 class were the heaviest 0-4-0Tanks built for a main line railway in the UK and are as big as many 0-6-0s but will go round your sharpest curves. Both these classes saw use at Ardrossan, Ayr and Greenock docks.  One of the 0-4-4Ts got to Strathpeffer in LMS days so could even have been on the dockside at Inverness!

Hope this helps,

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• 9 months later...

Portchullin Tatty mentioned Inverness harbour but there was also another branch to the canal basin at Muirtown locks.

The Kyle line crosses the north end of the basin on a swing bridge but there was also a curving branch back toward the distillery I expect.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/13334/details/inverness+caledonian+canal+muirtown+basin/#

http://maps.nls.uk/view/75663552

Archived