GWR Locomotive Depot

Just thought I'd share with you all what I've been up to at this unsociable hour..

steamdepot.jpg

A basic key would be..

Grey - Structures

Brown - Inspection/Ash Pits

Red - 'Cassector Plate' Fiddle Yard (That is to say, a sector plate the utilises locomotive cassette's)

Blue - Backscene

Basic operation would involve a locomotive arriving smokebox first and running to the point marked '1', where it would be coaled and watered before having it's ash removed over the ashpit. It would then return off-stage to move to the turntable (2) where it would be turned. It would again leave the scenic section before returning to recieve a minor inspection at the engine shed (3) before being stabled on one of the roads ready for it's next duty.

Scale is '00' Gauge but with a slight tweak, it could be used as maybe a test bed in a finescale gauge (EM or P4). It could also be scaled down to 2mm (N Gauge). At 8' x 2'6" (96" x 30") in 4mm, there might be an issue if moving up to 7mm with the increased depth.

Please feel free to use the plan if you like it, as well as mentioning if anything you find isn't quite right with it.

It is something I'd like to have a go at, but I have other things on my mind at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

The only thing I could suggest is a second line to the turntable, from the nearest stabling siding, to ensure the table could be accessed if the existing ( off stage ) points failed.

Stu

Also maybe model the shed in low relief against the LH backscene - allows more locos to be seen, makes the depot look bigger and makes track cleaning easier!

To further the illusion, you could have severed buffer beams/smokeboxes of Airfix kits/ secondhand locos visible through the shed doors.....

• RMweb Gold

Three exit roads from the modelled scene to the sector plate might be hard to disguise if it was an overbridge the layout would probably be a different design to avoid so many exits.

Don

• RMweb Gold

A bit difficult with the space you have but 'dead-ending' the coal/ash road is going to be a much headache as you will always be working 'one in one out' which will really constrict your ability to operate the depot - ideally you need a crossover near the stop blocks end. You've also effectively put your coal stage embankment at the front of the layout.

A thought to cheating has crossed my mind.

I don't know if it's just me, but trying to re-arrange things to be a bit more asthetically pleasing is causing a lot of grief. The cheating thought would be to switch it to a WR diesel depot. The initial design would be retained, minus the coaling tower and turntable.

If anyone can have a better bash to keep it to a steam depot, then please be my guest. :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Sam,

Nice plan, but as a P4 modeller myself, you need to budget for 1ft per turnout, so if you where going to go down the P4 route be careful, because a couple of those turnouts look a bit tight. If you could squeeze another 18inches I think it would be fine. I would hate to think that you had set yourself up for a fall.

Kind regards,

Nick

• RMweb Premium

That's a lot of points and locos for a first venture into finescale, too, even if you could fit it in. My guess however is that even in 00 it's going to look cramped with all the features you're trying to include. If you want to run big engines either a cunning bitsa approach or a simpler servicing yard like Ranelagh Bridge might succeed, though unfortunately the latter won't win you any prizes for originality:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/29249-ranelagh-bridge-road/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38539-ranelagh-bridge/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20881

That's the prime reason I've avoided Ranelagh Bridge, Simon. It's almost too cliché.

This plan was just intended as a "quickie" to display any stock on. If I assume that everything besides the turntable and engine shed were to be on the fiddle yard side, maybe that might help.? The only thing then is that it's simply turning and storing. Not much operational fun then.

Nick; I usually plan my layouts to P4 standards in xtrkcad. I usually use AnyRail as a basic "prover" to test a concept. I'll knock it up in xtrkcad soon.

Archived