iPAD DCC App

clecklewyke

But you perhaps seem to be ruling it out because it is Apple.......why would an Apple product be a hassle.????

I wouldn't take any notice Bob.

You've got the Lenz system and you like it.

You've seen the TouchCab app first hand.

All you need is the Lenz interface and if you haven't already got one, an appropriate iDevice (iPhone or Ipod Touch).

Go for it.

Was Jens able to give any idea when the interface was going on general sale?

p.s. Don't worry about any anti-Apple retoric. It's mostly just empty words.

M Graff. all that video shows is some guy who is probably trying do do stuff the way the device wasn't intended to be used.

Any fool can do that. He could of tried driving his car across the sea to prove it was a crap boat.

He's probably in IT seeing as how many IT types just don't "get it" !

I suggest you take that video down as it just shows you up !!!

I have the exact same experience when it comes to iTunes, thats why I put the video there!

I won't succumb to pressure from anyone, I think apple is substandard when it comes to open source projects and similar tech-stuff.

Prove me wrong or put it down!

Whooooaaaa Guys.......................lets not get this thread locked....its really interesting. I respect different peoples views. many people prefer Android phones.....and many others prefer iPhones. Rather than spend time slagging one off, lets spend the time telling us how good the one is that you prefer to use.

I would want the phone primarily as a phone, secondly to perhaps browse the web a bit, and thirdly as Touchcab.

I dont want to use it for videos, I have a camera for that purpose, I don't want it so I can listen to the radio or sit on a train plugged into music....I'm more sociable than that. I dont want it to take the place of a computer, I have my laptop for that. I just want a phone.

I just want a phone, thats all.....and to be able to control my trains with it seems a great plus.

I want this to be as simple as possible.....I'm 63 for God sake.....treat me gently...!!!!!

I want to hear good, positive stuff about the system you prefer.....please.

I have never owned an Android, or and iPhone......I just have a simple thing that takes calls and sends txt msgs. But Orange tell me I can now have an upgrade on my contract.....................its decision time.............Android.......iPhone.......or another LH100

Thanks,..........................Bob.

I don't want to tread on anyone... :angel:

I just like to get the facts straight, no OS is perfect, but when Android gets mentioned, there is always

some dicussion bound to happen.....

It all depends on what amount of money you feel you should spend on a phone, if it's not an issue, get a iPhone and use it to pieces! :no:

I promote a cheaper way with a more open architecture, it doesn't suit everyone, but it IS an option.

MG ...so you really are an angel. :)

I'm sure every OS has its place, with plusses and minusses on both sides.

As far as a phone, I have changed my mind between Android and iPhone more times than you can imagine, and that is just this month alone.  I am listening hard to both sides, and will make my mind up at a later date......over the next or two.  Perhaps a Christmas from me to me.

Bob.

Was Jens able to give any idea when the interface was going on general sale?

Jens thought it would be as soon as November.......I am not aware of any previous promises regarding availability, as I am just coming into this discussion. I gather though, that it has been coming for a while possibly.

Bob

After fiddling with some android to laptop control, I have decided to buy a Sprog II !

That way I can eliminate some hardware. As I have a rather small layout with maybe 2-3 locomotives active, I can skip the regular command station!

And as I would like to be able to use it at other locations as well, I will use a dedicated laptop where an Ad-Hoc wifi network will be used.

Experience of many users of the WiThrottle server in JMRI is that ad-hoc networks are eratic. Sometimes they will work without hassle, sometimes they cause a lot of grief. The way out is a cheap WiFi router, suggestion is the £30 Edimax Nano, which both Jens (Mr TouchCab) and I were using in the same room on to different systems at Rawtenstall at the weekend. The Edimax can be powered from the USB on your laptop.

Alternatively, if you have Windows-7 on the laptop, it may be worth trying Connectify, which is free software to make your WiFi into an infrastructure server. I found Connectify was introducing a significant delay on my laptop, but others report it works without delays; probably down to which hardware your laptop is built from.

Going to the more extreme hardware, there are members of the JMRI development team who are building versions of JMRI designed to run on PlugPC's. These are small Linux machines which are the size of a large power-brick, and cost around £100-£120. So, complete command station with JMRI installed for well under £200 including the Sprog for interface to the track.

On the Apple vs Android argument, an Apple iPod Touch is the cheapest Apple device that will work the WiThrottle server in JMRI. The interface on "Engine Driver" (Android) is different to that on "WiThrottle". Its my view that the WiThrottle (Apple) interface is better written than Engine Driver (Android) and thus nicer to use. My iPod Touch lasted all day at the Rawtenstall show, without being close to needing a re-charge.

- Nigel

suggestion is the £30 Edimax Nano.******The Edimax can be powered from the USB on your laptop.

Going to the more extreme hardware, there are members of the JMRI development team who are building versions of JMRI designed to run on PlugPC's. These are small Linux machines which are the size of a large power-brick, and cost around £100-£120. So, complete command station with JMRI installed for well under £200 including the Sprog for interface to the track.

My iPod Touch lasted all day at the Rawtenstall show, without being close to needing a re-charge.

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I will look at the Edimax. If it's a better alternative than ad-hoc, I think it's definitely worth it.

I won't be using it at home though, just at shows and such, as the WiFi at home is very good.

The idea of a plug PC is very interesting. As I will control my mini laptop with my phone and tablet through the Splashtop app (remote desktop program for Android).

Then It will be no problems (I hope...) to use the same app there as well.

Regarding the battery time, I will use spare ones in my phone, as I don't want to risk being without juice on a show.

Thanks Nigel, I will look at the Edimax. If it's a better alternative than ad-hoc, I think it's definitely worth it.

I won't be using it at home though, just at shows and such, as the WiFi at home is very good.

That is how my system works.

At home, my laptop, iPod, etc, all connect to the home WiFi. The Edimax is never used at home (except if I want to test something).

At shows, I get out the Edimax, and the laptop, iPod, etc. all connect automatically via the Edimax - no setup , no need to change anything on the laptop or iPod, it all just works as soon as power is applied.

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Talked to the boys at A&H the other day, still no concrete news on the interface, but they did hope (note HOPE!) that it may be here in time for Warley. But I would not hold your breath and I certainly do not wish to relate something that is more likely not to happen than happen.

• 3 years later...

I'm looking to control route setting - point motors and eventually signals using DCC, but retain the running as analogue - so a couple of questions - 1) is it feasible, and 2) what app would you recommend, given that I don;t have a PPC, but am a dedicated Apple user.

Just to give you an idea of the complexity, this is the layout for the East end of the proposed station on Waverley East - it will have e similarly complex set of points and double slips at the other end!

post-10395-0-92481700-1444408685_thumb.jpg

Tx

Peter

Answering Bigwordsmith (above):

There is no need for accessories AND track to both be dcc controlled - equally there are 'alternative' accessory control sysytems whch can all replace the point-point (1:1) wiring of a 'traditional' remote point control. with a flexible reduced-wiring, serial control system.

The advantages of adopting an 'off the shelf' dcc or Mfx etc solution is that there is already accompanying graphical software (free or commercial) for displaying point/signal settings ( PC Mac and Linux formats )  and allowing route setting / indication,  track occupation display, and touch screens or other means of selection.

Of course, these pre-done solutions all offer loco speed control too - but it does not have to be used 8-)

I'm looking to control route setting - point motors and eventually signals using DCC, but retain the running as analogue - so a couple of questions - 1) is it feasible, and 2) what app would you recommend, given that I don;t have a PPC, but am a dedicated Apple user.

Just to give you an idea of the complexity, this is the layout for the East end of the proposed station on Waverley East - it will have e similarly complex set of points and double slips at the other end!

attachicon.gifIMG_1724.jpg

Tx

Peter

Why not use CBUS for layout control , it's designed exactly fir what you want. Running remains DC , although for a layout of that size DCC would convey advantages

I'm looking to control route setting - point motors and eventually signals using DCC, but retain the running as analogue....

What sort of user interface do you want for operating and controlling points and routes?

Glass screen, i.e. a computer monitor and control via mouse/keyboard or a touch screen?

...or a Glass screen in the form of a Tablet device (e.g. iPad)?

Hardware panel, e.g. physical switches or buttons, with indicator lights, on a route diagram (mimic panel)?

Mini signal box lever frame, with the option of an associated route diagram?

Do you require computer software to aid the running of trains, or to provide interlocking?

All are possible using DCC.

However, if the main aim is to reduce the amount and complexity of wiring, DCC control of points, routes and signals on an otherwise analogue DC layout, is very much a feasible proposition.

New products already available or coming on to the market can provide this at very reasonable cost.

e.g.    

http://www.dccconcepts.com/catalogue/a/cobalt-digital-devices

http://www.dccconcepts.com/vamr/overview-of-cobalt-alpha

Just recently found this thread, and as I have an NCE system hooked up to JMRI, I thought I would give it a try. Dead easy to set up, and using WiThrottle Lite, the control via the IPad is good. Now I just need to start construction of my layout to hook the control system up to!

Archived