Bombadier bi-modal 'TRAXX' locos for Anglia?

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

This is probably 'old news' but 'Rail' is reporting that the makers of TRAXX P200 AC UK locos are targetting the 'Anglia' franchise as a replacement for the Class 90s. These locos are have small diesel engines ('Last Mile' as they are called) for short onward haulage where there are no wires. Sounds interesting.

TRAXX P200 AC UK loco

Interesting!

One downside I can see with that is that the current franchise encumbent is about to depart, the replacement one is on a short-term contract for only a couple of years, so the operator isn't likely to have replacing stock as a high priority...

I like the bit linked to from there about a class 73 based 'genset' loco though... :yahoo:

I'm intrigued by the suggestion that the class 90s will need replacing before the Mk3 coaches, since the vast majority of loco hauled Mk3s are older than the class 90s. I'd have thought that it would make more sense to replace the locos and carriages at the same time.

• RMweb Gold

:rofl_mini: :rofl_mini: :rofl_mini: OMG, what a farce... :rolleyes: They delivered a series of regional trainsets (EMU's) to NS-R, together with Siemens, based on the German BR423. We had no end of trouble with these, and NS-R actually cancelled the last option it had for a 3rd series. Bombardier also delivered several TRAXX machines (German BR186) for use on the HSA Fyra trains, a stopgap measure for non-delivery of the infamous Ansaldo stock, and about a week ago one stranded just short of the system-change point at Hoofddorp for 4 hours :mad: Just the latest in a long string of failures of these machines, admittedly mostly all related to software.

Perhaps not such good news after all Vincent!dry.gif

Since they seem to take every opportunity to use DMUs on the Norwich-London services anyway, I am surprised they have not decided to order some 57s to replace the 90s. They could put one on each end of the train!

Where would they be going that is not already electrified that needs the extra mile? Taking three coaches from Liverpool Street to Peterborough, Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth?

The only replacement of the otherwise excellent Mk3s and 90s that would make sense is mainline EMUs so that a reasonable length train could be accomodated in Liverpool Street - two coach lengths are already taken up by the loco and DVT. A 12-car EMU will add an extra 35% accommodation so that people can actually get on the trains. I think that the lessons of the Pendolino have been learned now.

• RMweb Gold

I think the idea is that the small diesel engine is enough to get the train out of the way when it fails, thus preventing delay minutes.

Probably quicker to call in International Rescue - the diesel power at rail is less than a Class 08 and without knowing what the gearing would be it still suggests that putting taht sort of hp into a traction package designed for 125 mph is not going to produce a marvellous result in terms of clearing the line. Add the additional costs of the dieselkit to the loco purchase price and its maintenance regime and it's going to have to do an awful lot of 'last resort' work to make greater economic sense than a few old locos on the books for rescue purposes.

Now the repower being put into the EDs in that linked article is definitely a sensible idea - their lack of poke on diesel power has always been a nuisance with heavy trains.

Archived