RMweb

Class 85

Michael Delamar

i know the special edition 85101 cab interior control desks were painted blue.

i was wondering though, was it only that prototype that had that desk colour or were all 85s like this?

just wondering whether to paint my 85/0 desks.........

I would hazard a guess that they should be blue. Class 86 desks were blue, and when I went to the railfest at the NRM some years ago, I had a look in the cab of an ac loco that was on display there, unfortunatly I cannot remember what class it was, but that had blue desks too, and the desk was very similar to the class 86 desk.

• Like 1

I would hazard a guess that they should be blue. Class 86 desks were blue, and when I went to the railfest at the NRM some years ago, I had a look in the cab of an ac loco that was on display there, unfortunatly I cannot remember what class it was, but that had blue desks too, and the desk was very similar to the class 86 desk.

Sounds like 84001. From memory, every AC cab I've been in has had a blue desk.

• Like 2

All Class 81-87 Driver desks were blue.

Classes 81-84

Blue fibre-glass panelled surfaces which were at a sort of 10 degree upward angle, and blue painted metal on the screw-on instument panels.

2nd mans side had stainless steel sufrace.

BR-Grey painted upright metal covers.

Class 85

Blue fibre-glass panelled surfaces which were at a sort of 10 degree upward angle, and blue painted metal on the screw-on instrument panels.

Some had the instrument panels of a mixture of both the Blue painted metal type (like the Class 81-84), and the Blue fibre-glass like the Class 87.

Blue painted upright metal covers.

Classes 86

Blue fibre-glass panelled surfaces which were at a sort of 10 degree upward angle, and blue painted metal on the screw-on instrument panels.

Some had the instrument panels of a mixture of both the Blue painted metal type (like the Class 81-84), and the Blue fibre-glass like the Class 87.

Paler Blue painted upright metal covers. (more like BR Blue)

Classes 87

Blue fibre-glass panelled surfaces which were at a sort of 10 degree upward angle, and Blue fibre-glass on the screw-on instrument panels.

Paler Blue painted upright metal covers. (more like BR Blue)

(former ScR Driver)

• Like 3

Thanks for the info chaps.

A little something I threw together today on my layout which is still work in progress (but mainly the wires or lack of!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mlTd5cFM-Q&feature=youtu.be

My only real criticism of this superb class 85 decoder is the cruising speed sound effect which loses it realism. Great for shunting and moving off or stopping but not so good on the fly which might be well be something that afflicts all dcc sound locos. I hope to be able to play about a bit with some of the CVs......

It may only be something that can be addressed if actual recordings of 85101 ever come to fruition.

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 1

Bif is going to see if he can do anything to improve the cruising speed sound effect (it is more motor blowers sound than actual traction motor whine if I'm being picky - the whine should sound out the blowers the higher the speed gets) or maybe just reduce the volume to speed ratio if that is possible. Its early days for me with this so I obviously need to do more running/testing. Ive got some AC electrics on DVD too so to refresh the memory I will sit and listen to a few of them again at speed. Certainly from a standstill the sound is spot on and the function that allows you to keep the motor blowers on whilst stationary (and indefinitely) really adds to the authenticity. Very controllable. The running is really smooth too. It doesnt take off or stop on a sixpence - if you like your locos this way you might have to alter some of the acceleration and deceleration modes.

Top speed isnt a patch on a normal dcc fitted 85 but I will be addressing this today hopefully by changing two of the CVs.

That really is a super sound decoder. How easy is it to fit the chip and speaker?

The speaker chamber that comes with this decoder will not fit into the 85 but its dead easy to sort. In fact it took me longer to get the body off than to fit the decoder. You will need to get the speaker out and put into your Class 85s chamber.

Once the body is off (its still attached by the wires to the cab lights which can be unplugged if you wish), remove the blanking plug from the pins on the PCB. Then remove the black plastic speaker chamber held in by two tiny screws. With a small flat screwdriver inserted into one of the holes in the side of the chamber that came with your decoder, prize out the speaker carefully. Do the same on the other side and it should pop out - handle carefully. Press the speaker into the chamber you have removed from your 85 and using tiny dots of rolled up blu-tac, cover up all the holes in the chamber for an airtight seal including the large hole where the wires come out. You could just press the speaker into place with the chamber is situ but you cant seal it up fully and so you will get a poorer quality sound.

The speaker is pre-wired to the decoder so it is plug and play.

Plug the decoder in and refit the speaker. Fit the 2 small securing screws back. You could give it a quick test with the body left off I guess but then refit the body and enjoy.

I did ask Bif if it was possible to operate the cab lights separate from the corridor lights but this would require some work on the PCB.

Edited by ThaneofFife

I now have the FELL RUNNER name and number sets for sale at £5.50 posted, if anyone would a like a set send me a PM with your details.

Stuart, obviously any sets you bought are yours to do with as you please but my understanding is that the items had been requested on the grounds that you'd got several friends interested rather than selling them on. May I also remind you that it's against Forum Rules; any sales transactions should be made via the Marketplace or its forthcoming replacement.

No problem Andy.

Jim - Obviously there is a slight saving to be had in preference to buying direct but only on the few sets I have remaining either way Steve gets whats due to him :) It would have been nice to shift the sets here.

Edited by ThaneofFife

The speaker chamber that comes with this decoder will not fit into the 85 but its dead easy to sort. In fact it took me longer to get the body off than to fit the decoder. You will need to get the speaker out and put into your Class 85s chamber.

Once the body is off (its still attached by the wires to the cab lights which can be unplugged if you wish), remove the blanking plug from the pins on the PCB. Then remove the black plastic speaker chamber held in by two tiny screws. With a small flat screwdriver inserted into one of the holes in the side of the chamber that came with your decoder, prize out the speaker carefully. Do the same on the other side and it should pop out - handle carefully. Press the speaker into the chamber you have removed from your 85 and using tiny dots of rolled up blu-tac, cover up all the holes in the chamber for an airtight seal including the large hole where the wires come out. You could just press the speaker into place with the chamber is situ but you cant seal it up fully and so you will get a poorer quality sound.

The speaker is pre-wired to the decoder so it is plug and play.

Plug the decoder in and refit the speaker. Fit the 2 small securing screws back. You could give it a quick test with the body left off I guess but then refit the body and enjoy.

I did ask Bif if it was possible to operate the cab lights separate from the corridor lights but this would require some work on the PCB.

Thanks for the info, looks pretty straightforward. Definately worth doing based on the video.

Andy, I took your advice in post #796 and ventured across to the Marketplace in a bid to move these spare transfers on.

I registered my details and began to work my way through the "sell" feature but I gave up as it appears a) there is no facility to list at a fixed price (auction only is that correct?) and there is listing fee of £1.50 - Now on high value items I could live with that fee but its not really the place is it to sell small low value items unless Ive overlooked something within the Marketplace facility. Even more so when you consider that I was offering members here the transfers at BELOW what the cost price would be to them had they gone direct because of the savings in postage.

I'm not wishing to profitteer on these - I know there must be rules for sales but for such a low value inanimate item I honestly thought it would cause no harm or upset to highlight them in this thread (the best place for Class 85 transfers)............maybe a word of advice sooner just after my post #770 would have been more fitting.

That said I dont expect you to be staring down the barrel of every single post on here just as its written but I'm just sensing that a little slack would perhaps go a long way or would have done nicely in this instance without wanting any special treatment. Just a thank you would even have been nice for my efforts.

It is my understanding that you have said "Although the forum is free to read, register and participate it is paid for by site supporters, sponsors and me and I feel it's particularly bad form to disregard the rule above where postings are made for commercial gain....."

I really dont expect anybody to think I was out to make a commercial gain - a commercial loss, well maybe ;)

Edited by ThaneofFife

I registered my details and began to work my way through the "sell" feature but I gave up as it appears a) there is no facility to list at a fixed price (auction only is that correct?) and there is listing fee of £1.50

It is my understanding that you have said "Although the forum is free to read, register and participate it is paid for by site supporters, sponsors and me and I feel it's particularly bad form to disregard the rule above where postings are made for commercial gain....."

Sorry; I've only just noticed this post.

If you check the fees http://www.rmweb.co.uk/marketplace/site_fees.php you will see there are no listing fees; maybe you confused the fees for featured listings? Aside from that it's no sale, no fee and only 5% on the final sales figure.

On the second point I would say it would be polite to enquire rather than assume and proceed.