Class 85

Michael Delamar

Nice.  That first 1971 shot is another incarnation that could well appear from Bachmann at some point - roof gulleys, air tanks, BR logo, E numbers, full headcode etc.  

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think they ever have stocked them as spares tbh.

one of the otheer members on the 4th of feb said they were selling them at £12 a pop plus postage so I thought i'd try but alas nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• 3 weeks later...

Got my E3058 today, ran her in and b####r me for I can't get that wire off to reposition it and solve the contact head lean on either pantograph. Does anyone have any tips?

Edited by Blackout60800

one of the otheer members on the 4th of feb said they were selling them at £12 a pop plus postage so I thought i'd try but alas nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It was me, I sent them an email at the time and they replied with the cost plus a paypal request to pay them to send me the pan. In the end I didn't buy it but they said that they had them in stock.

Here is the email extract:

Thank you for your enquiry. We can supply a pantograph for £12 plus £2 postage

We can take online payment to our PayPal account and can send a payment request to you that can be used to complete the transaction expediently whether or not you have a PayPal account yourself.

Regards 

Service Team 

Bachmann Europe plc 

That was back in November though.

Cav

Edited by RBE

Many thanks :)

Now, I wonder if it's possible to make the same bend and use the original attachment point by feeding it past the contact head and looping it back round? If so, then you'd get your pantograph operating properly and you would still be able to fix it down

Edited by Blackout60800

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks :)

Now, I wonder if it's possible to make the same bend and use the original attachment point by feeding it past the contact head and looping it back round? If so, then you'd get your pantograph operating properly and you would still be able to fix it down

If you try to use the original attachment point then the head will still tilt the wrong way, it is the attachment being below instead of above the pivot that alters the direction the head tilts as it rises.

Andi

Absoloutely no need to scratchbuild a new pivot or switch to the locking mechanism hole. All that you need to do for the pantographs to operate correctly at the correct wire height / extention is to put a 40* bend in the wire at the contact head end. This way it is also possible to maintain the feature of locking the pantograph down.

The only catch is that the locomotive cannot be displayed in a case with the pantographs up, as the modification pulls the contact head back to an extreme angle at the maximum extention - but it's far beyond where anyone's wires should hang anyway.

Locked down and with the modification;

post-16674-0-48294600-1362780559_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blackout60800

• RMweb Gold

Maximum wire height is a scale 77.5mm above rail height (across level crossings). Max height of a free floating pan on a Bachmann 85 is just a fraction shy of 80mm. The head NEEDS to be sorted properly.

Andi

My calculations come up with a scale normal running height of 62.1mm above the rail, the mod I've done gives a level contact head from 58mm to 66mm, and even then for 5 mm beyond that it corrects itself with only the most miniscule amount of downward pressure. As far as running is concerned, if that's not good enough then the afformentioned mod could be tweaked to allow the contact head to sit level a bit higher

(the unaltered pantograph's contact head sits flat at 81mm above the rail on my loco)

According to the Bachmann website the tops class 85 is sold out/ unavailable if the Red Cross next to it is anything to go by. Can't be true though we all know overhead electrics don't sell don't we!

Mark

I think you might be reading into something that isnt there. 

The manufacturer might have sold out - but even a cursory look at retailer websites will reveal that the TOPS model is still widely available.

• Like 1

The manufacturer might have sold out - but even a cursory look at retailer websites will reveal that the TOPS model is still widely available.

I am aware that there are some still on shelves but I would hope to get to a point where no more are available from Bachmann must be a positive sign, we will find out tomorrow!

mark

I think someone said the early electric blue one was the worst seller?

if its true, I dont think itll be because of the uninterest in the loco and period, I think it is down to the colour/shade of the Bachmann model, it may be correct, but I dont think it looks like any colour shots or film, again that doesnt mean its wrong, but memories and opinions may have been adjusted because of these shots.

they may have used the right shade, but I think it looks too dark, maybe it doesnt scale? or is it coloured plastic? but anyway thats what I think may have put people off.

Guest jim s-w

True but since they are not sale or return, if the manufacturer shifts all their stock its a good seller from their point of view.

True but since they are not sale or return, if the manufacturer shifts all their stock its a good seller from their point of view.

Hmm, a fat lot of good that will do them though.  The same can be said for the Blue Pullman yet lots are still on the shelves in the retailers.  Anyone who thinks there is a direct correlation between the apparent lack of any stock in a manufacturers warehouse and the misguided belief that it must be a sales success even if the dealer network is still sat on boxes of them is doing a fine job of fooling themselves (even those with a only rudimentary knowledge of basic business).

Lets hope Bachmann dont rely on this line of thought as a logical conclusion as to what has been truly successful not in terms of how empty their warehouse is but how few items remain for sale at the coal face.  Surely that defines if it was a winner or not?

I could sell Jim and his mates 200 saucepans. They might sell 5 of them but get lumbered with 195.  no sale or return so why should I consider bringing in another similar saucepan with a copper bottom if my sellers are reporting poor sales? 

Guest jim s-w

Is the pullman listed as out of stock with Bachmann?   Did they produce the same number as the tops 85?  Is the price point the same?  Has it been available as long?

You clearly cant draw any comparrisons between the two. How do you know sellers are reporting poor sales?  The ones I speak to say the exact opposite, You cant just make 'facts' up to suit yourself.  

Its weird that you are constantly whinging about the lack of RTR OH locos and units and yet you are always the first to run down the sales of the 85 based on, as far as I can tell, absolutely nothing.

Edited by jim s-w