Class 85

Michael Delamar

that looks really nice, regardless of what I said earlier about the shade of blue, the splash of colour on the front looks really good, will definatley be after one of them

off hand, not sure, but I think we did some research earlier on in this thread, long thread but I think its in there somewhere.

Thanks Mike, according to post #329 back in May 2012, they didn't start receiving SYP until 1965.

• Like 1

How odd...? If it hasn't been lost through scanning, might the original have been shot with a coloured filter that removed that particular tone...? It's certainly an unexplained mystery...

There's definitely a different color patch of "blue" where the yellow warning panel should be.   Blue and yellow are complementary colours.   I'm betting there was a blue filter on the camera... 

There's definitely a different color patch of "blue" where the yellow warning panel should be.   Blue and yellow are complementary colours.   I'm betting there was a blue filter on the camera... 

Reading through the comments below the photo, someone says "That sometimes happens when a colour neg is scanned to positive black and white, but only strongly noticeable in anything yellow".  Looks like it was just the photo process.

The  early twin pantograph 31 676 AL5 is no longer listed on the Bachmann products website. Is this just a web editor mistake  or is  the version abandoned?

However the small yellow warning panel AL5 is the top of my list  version I  wished for at release.

Edited by Pandora

One line in the rail express article on the Bachmann 2013/14 range states the class 85 has been a steady if not spectacular seller. No reply to my email from Bachmann asking if there will be further overhead electric models from them. Guess I will have to wait till next year to find out!

Cheers

Mark

i just dont see the main ac classes being put out to pasture after the 85 as most of the diesels are now covered by updated models to the latest standards and unless the ball starts rolling again on further mid life upgrades of these diesels the manufacturers must surely be circling over and considering mopping up the electrics with a view to rolling another out in the next 3 or 4 years. i would prefer it to be Bachmann doing the looking though. 

Dapols move with additional catenary might help to boost interest in overhead locos.

who knows.........

• RMweb Premium

The  early twin pantograph 31 676 AL5 is no longer listed on the Bachmann products website. Is this just a web editor mistake  or is  the version abandoned?

However the small yellow warning panel AL5 is the top of my list  version I  wished for at release.

When a product ceases to be listed, it usually means it has sold out by Bachmann to retailers.

i see Bachmann want £117 for the new yellow ended version with the earlier batches still at £112.

Hardly surprising when the pound has taken another plunge, everything manufactured abroad is getting more expensive.

A teaser from DapolDave: posted January 2013 on RMWEB

"Anyway, I'm not going to confirm or deny anything except yes I have my plans laid until 2015 at he moment.
However, ones I won't be touching as I understand others are apparently (look out for announcements soon) include,
In N gauge an N15
In 009 a Manning Wardle
In OO gauge Sarah Siddons, and Underground stock with an 84 soon after (unless that changes due to poor electric sales
)"

So the  class 84 is being stalked, it is an NRM York loco, so that must be Bachmann then 

A teaser from DapolDave: posted January 2013 on RMWEB

"Anyway, I'm not going to confirm or deny anything except yes I have my plans laid until 2015 at he moment.

However, ones I won't be touching as I understand others are apparently (look out for announcements soon) include,

In N gauge an N15

In 009 a Manning Wardle

In OO gauge Sarah Siddons, and Underground stock with an 84 soon after (unless that changes due to poor electric sales)"

So the  class 84 is being stalked, it is an NRM York loco, so that must be Bachmann then 

Another 00 AC loco to the latest standards would be nice (especially from Bachmann for obvious reasons) but the 84 just seems so left of field its over the fence and off into the next one - I wouldnt imagine the 84 being a big seller IMO even for hardened WCML enthusiasts.   

Very strange choice IYAM and if the rumour has any truth to it.

I might be slightly biased but from a commercial aspect I would be looking to the 81, (a new correct) 86 or the 87 next and putting the 82, 83 and 84 classes at the bottom of the "what next" pile.

As the 84s had a relatively short career and therefore a smaller timeframe in which to model so I would go for the Class 87 which had a much longer career.  Im not even sure the 84 went into the paint shop for small yellow warning panels to be added - perhaps it went straight from all over electric blue/white roof to BR TOPS blue?

Many missed the 87s only after withdrawal was threatened from mainline service.  I dont recall any such feelings over the withdrawal of the 84s.

The 81 might be a natural progression from the similar 85 but I would want to release something different next.

The 87 had almost 40 years of service on BR and wore lots of liveries, numbers, styles, equipment to give a model manufacturer a real headache deciding which versions to release first!

Even if you disagree with all that, the 84 still looked liked it was sticking its bottom lip out when painted in TOPS livery :)

Edited by ThaneofFife

Another 00 AC loco to the latest standards would be nice (especially from Bachmann for obvious reasons) but the 84 just seems so left of field its over the fence and off into the next one - I wouldnt imagine the 84 being a big seller IMO even for hardened WCML enthusiasts.   

Very strange choice IYAM and if the rumour has any truth to it.

I might be slightly biased but from a commercial aspect I would be looking to the 81, (a new correct) 86 or the 87 next and putting the 82, 83 and 84 classes at the bottom of the "what next" pile.

I think the class 84 has a lot of 'cult status'. They were fairly sought after by enthusiasts in the late 1970's, especially haulage. They were probably the most stylish of all the AC loco designs as well.

I can't see the NRM commissioning a class 84 ,I would have thought they would go for something like a steam loco which would have wider appeal to the general public who wander in and around the NRM. It would be nice if Bachmann announced something either in the summer announcements or at the DEMU showcase to show their commitment to overhead line modelling but I suspect will will be waiting till next march for a sign!

I was a bit gutted when the 84 wasn't announced I thought Dapol Dave was a reliable informant. We need a new super grass!

Incidentally does anyone recognise the brand of catenary used in the Bachmann catalogue (pages 61/ 67)!

Mark

• Like 1