Class 85

Michael Delamar

the rail express review couldnt find much wrong. undernourished brake actuators and oversized wiper arms being about it.

fingers crossed Bachmann decide to produce more ACs in the coming years as the diesel guys have had it all their own way for far too long.

Just another quickie vid with pride of my fleet 85026 with a 6 coach rake of Bachmann Mk1s.

After seeing the MLV in ModelRail I'm now going over to that thread to have a good look. I think my modelling timeframe/location has been shot to pieces.

• Like 2

Has anyone received their Collectors Club 85101 yet?

I missed mine by a couple of hours yesterday, and will hopefully be picking it up from the Fed-Ex depot on Monday, ironically it is about half a mile from my workplace where I was sat idle all day on Friday...

I've just got back from a day at TVNAM to find this waiting for me....:

post-6819-0-33621100-1339867656_thumb.jpg

I was all gee'd up and planning the next American layout too.

More pics later.....

Edited by 298
  • Like 6

Yes, as per 101. CE depot diamond on one side, BH roundhouse on the unbranded side, etched plates to cover the printed ones. I would have preferred it without printed nameplates, but hey.....

That looks well worth waiting for, roll on Monday!

Though a pure impulse purchase it came at the perfect time, the 85 looked good enough to make me want one and I was having a dilemma over which blue version to buy when this popped up....having seen the real thing in the metal at Doncaster 150 it made the decision a lot easier...no blue, go for grey.

Usually buying stuff with a SR/WR flavour in all honesty this will probably be my only AC purchase, unless Bachmann want to do the Class 89 of course...

post-11593-0-18988800-1339881896_thumb.jpg

General view of one end of Crewlisle to show how even basic catenary looks OK when viewed from about 1M.

post-11593-0-29315000-1339881984_thumb.jpg

Close up of catenary at left hand side of top photo. All masts and wires are portable. Portal frames and masts are modified Hadley JV (no longer available in UK) but I am sure Sommerfeldt could be modified in a similar way. It is certainly worth the effort, even for basic catenary like mine. See my previous comments on 13 and 14 June.

Edited by Crewlisle
  • Like 2

General view of one end of Crewlisle to show how even basic catenary looks OK when viewed from about 1M.

Close up of catenary at left hand side of top photo. All masts and wires are portable. Portal frames and masts are modified Hadley JV (no longer available in UK) but I am sure Sommerfeldt could be modified in a similar way. It is certainly worth the effort, even for basic catenary like mine. See my previous comments on 13 and 14 June.

is this the section where you run at a scale 100mph?

I know we dont see much of it in real life but Ive decided my layout is set in sunnier times and given the driver a visor so he can keep an eye on the road ahead!

Although new to weathering I'm pleased to have picked it up quite easily. Its clearly not just about spraying a loco in frame dirt!

The centre window has since been "cleaned" and looks much better.

post-13731-0-72378600-1339932046_thumb.jpg

post-13731-0-43124900-1340016501_thumb.jpg

post-13731-0-63009300-1340016525_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 3

Some more piccies, inside the shed:

post-6819-0-70379900-1339964835_thumb.jpg

And a Roarer line-up:

post-6819-0-05987200-1339965073_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-45976400-1339965241_thumb.jpg

"Little Willesden" is a small diorama built by Graham Clark to complement his AC Electric articles in Practical Model Railways about 25 years ago. I've had it on loan for the last ten years and is kept in safe storage, only seeing the light of day for official portraits of new locos (which is very rare since other projects have stalled).

I've just realised how rough my other 85's look....

Edited by 298
  • Like 3

i prefer the way the support for the upper arm running from the base hooks into the upper arm itself on that RTC loco rather than into the high protruding rear elbow on the new Bachmann model. Its about the only thing I dont like about the pan and will have a bash at some point to remedy mine for a more authentic look or if somebody more skilled beats me to it.............;)

the higher the pan is the less obtrusive that elbow looks but all of mine will be set fairly low. What tends to happen under pressure on the head is that the upper arm lowers first leaving the lower arm still (to a point) so you dont really get a 50/50 stance of both arms with the elbow at the halfway point in height terms (a bit anal I know). Some patient tweaking is on the cards then but its all part of the fun.

Just a quick piccie (theres a darker version in the gallery)

class%2085s%20parked.jpg

Cheers

Jim

A stunning pair of 85s that I was fortunate enough to view on display at DEMU. The weathering is quite simply superb in the flesh, overall subtlety combined with the clever, yet seemingly simple use of a few basic colours. And thank you for your detailed and informative chat and description of the techniques used whilst at DEMU - definitely an inspiration for me to get a move on with purchasing that airbrush and having a go myself... (experimenting on a few old wagons first, of course!) :)

Edited by darkjunglemung

Very nice. I remember this layout, was it in Railway Modeller or Hornby Mag a few years ago. I remember it because its a fascinating era that you seldom see modelled.

With reference to pictures of my catenary on 'Crewlisle':

Yes, that is the continuous run section that can take 100mph scale speed running.

With regard to my reference to Hadley JV catenary being no longer available, I have since found out it is just JV catenary and is stocked by a company called Marno Ltd. in London.

Making and fitting the catenary was featured in the Railway Modeller in 1993. Might be worth considering a 'dusting off' and updating to kick start the fitting of catenary to more layouts!

A question for the guys who have the 85 101 Limited Edition.

Would I be right in saying that the Drivers Desk on the Model appears to be correctly represented as Blue Fibre-glass as per the Prototype?

Yes, the desk top is blue.

Wonder why Bachmann didn't fit the same (blue) Drivers Desks to the BR Blue liveried versions? They were certainly that colour in that era. The Secondmans side was an absolute nuisance in the hot sunny Summer days because they had a polished stainless steel tray just behind the window, which used to fry your face. You'd always find a newspaper or cardboard taped down on them. Dont know they never painted them,

Wonder if you could get the blue version as a spare.

Edited by Lokomotivfuhrer
  • Like 2

Guest jim s-w

Although new to weathering I'm pleased to have picked it up quite easily. Its clearly not just about spraDying a loco in frame dirt!

Looks great Stuart, it's always nice to see someone else get something positive out of our postings :)

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w