Hornby Standard Class 4 4-6-0

pete23

• RMweb Gold

The BR late crest first began to appear in the latter half of 1956 IIRC, whilst 75053 entered service in January 1957.

Take-up of the new emblem might have been decided initially, by the rate at which the transfers could be produced in the required numbers. I doubt they were freely available from the outset, and the latest style would presumably have been applied to freshly overhauled express locos in preference to humble 4MTs, even new ones.

IMHO, we'd need a reliably dated photo of 75053 early in its working life to be sure whether Hornby are right or wrong on this one.

John

• RMweb Gold

It's about time we had some new liveries on this fine model, my 4mt is the best performer I have and a beautifully turned out model too. The only boob Hornby mate with it was the shed code, which was meant to be Oswestry in early emblem years (89A) but they've gone for 89D, which was Oswestry only after 1960 which does not match it's early emblem (or the box photo which clearly shows 89A). Looks like they've made a similar anachronistic mistake with the early emblem on 75053. Any ideas which shed codes are carried by 75053 and 75008?

From Locoshed Books:

1955/6, 1957: 86C Cardiff Canton /// 1959, 1960, 1962, 1963: 81F Oxford.

1957, 1959, 1960: 6A Chester /// 1962: 6B Mold Junction /// 1963: 21D Aston.

I don't have any editions after 1963 so, from BR Database, later allocations

75008:

83D Templecombe from 07/64  /// 83D Exmouth Junction from 09/64 /// 85A Worcester from 06/65.

75053:

at 1E Bletchley for a few months between the 6B and 21D allocations /// 5D Stoke from 09/63 /// 6D Shrewsbury from 09/64.

John

I can't find a picture of 75053 as new but 75052, built 12/56, 75055, built 1/57 & 75057, built3/57 carried the old emblem from new. RCTS BR standard steam locomotives. So Hornby are correct.

Shed allocations;  1/57 Chester, 6/58 Rhyl, 9/58 Chester, 6/60 Rhyl, 9.60 Mold, 4/62 Bletchley, 9/64 Shrewsbury, 10/64 Bletchley, 12/62 Aston, 9/63 Stoke, 5/67 withdrawn.

Roger

The introduction of the late crest more-or-less coincided with the Western Region starting to splash green paint around non-GWR classes (though a lot of their Standard 4-6-0s seem to have been so treated at Eastleigh rather than Swindon).

I stand to be corrected if someone can come up with photographs, but I'm fairly sure none of those affected, 73xxx, 75xxx, 78xxx and 82xxx, carried the early emblem on green livery.

Apart from the Pacifics and Evening Star, green paint on a Standard anywhere else in the country indicated it had been transferred from the Western.

John

Hi  78006 carried the old emblem on lined green photographed at Swindon after overhaul 2/2/58. Also 82004 20/6/59 at Hartlebury & 82007, large crest on unlined green, Swindon 26/1/57. Source RCTS books.

Roger

• RMweb Gold

Hi  78006 carried the old emblem on lined green photographed at Swindon after overhaul 2/2/58. Also 82004 20/6/59 at Hartlebury & 82007, large crest on unlined green, Swindon 26/1/57. Source RCTS books.

Roger

Thanks for the references. If locos were still being outshopped from overhaul into 1958 with the early crest, it definitely points to old stock being used up.

John

Hi , Not wishing to scaremonger but has anybody had issues regarding metal fatigue on the Std 4 model? The reason I ask is that a customer brought one in to be looked at due to motor spinning but no movement.

Upon removing the body the rear motor retainer/ gear cover was affected with the dreaded mazak rot!

This is the first instance of it effecting the Std 4 model that I am aware of and advised the customer to return the loco to Hornby and see their response.

The affected model is R3016A running number 75071

I can't find a picture of 75053 as new but 75052, built 12/56, 75055, built 1/57 & 75057, built3/57 carried the old emblem from new. RCTS BR standard steam locomotives. So Hornby are correct.

Shed allocations;  1/57 Chester, 6/58 Rhyl, 9/58 Chester, 6/60 Rhyl, 9.60 Mold, 4/62 Bletchley, 9/64 Shrewsbury, 10/64 Bletchley, 12/62 Aston, 9/63 Stoke, 5/67 withdrawn.

Roger

The smokebox numberplate from 75052 languishes in the back of my wardrobe! It was one of the last steam locos to leave Nuneaton shed before it closed.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Photo's of the actual models included in this weeks Kernow email. Green looks good (but then it always does in Kernows photo's) - I'm tempted but they ain't cheap and I already have the Bachmann weathered green 75027 which looks great but lacks haulage capacity, tender pickups or user friendly DCC sound fit potential.

Damn, I've just about convinced myself to buy a Hornby 4mt now........... :)

Bought mine from Alton models this afternoon. As with other recent Hornby locos e.g. Trevone, the Brunswick green is darker and deeper.

Excellent lining as usual with Hornby. This is their first green 75000. Quite a few of the Western region 75's went green with double chimney. One or two ended up in the north woking as Tebay bankers. I hope they do a green one next year with single chimney. If I remember correctly 75002 and 75016 went lined green while retaining single chimneys. There may be others. I think 75016 ended up in the north.

However, what I am really pleased about is the repositioning of the cylinders approximately 1mm lower which sets them right. This was a criticism of earlier editions. As far as I know this is Hornby's first 75000 to have the cylinder position correct. Well done Hornby!

A really cracking model and one of Hornby's best steam locos with tremendous detail and finesse. Yes they are getting pricey but compared to one nights stay in many hotels or for the price of filling a car tank .....still good value ....especially this one with such fine pipework, ejector detail etc and a good finish.

Photo's of the actual models included in this weeks Kernow email. Green looks good (but then it always does in Kernows photo's) - I'm tempted but they ain't cheap and I already have the Bachmann weathered green 75027 which looks great but lacks haulage capacity, tender pickups or user friendly DCC sound fit potential.

Damn, I've just about convinced myself to buy a Hornby 4mt now........... :)

I really think you should....you won't regret it !

I'm now confused.

Just looked at my older Hornby 4MTs 75005 and 75062. The cylinder positions are exactly the same. I've looked at images of various editions in google and there has been no change it seems. The problem is Hornby's graphic image on the box sleeves. The cylinders are positioned immediately under the footplate. Beware of images shown by retailers; they are Hornby graphics rather than a photo of the actual model.

The Bachmann 4MT has the cylinders positioned slightly different. If it is correct then it is the only better feature on the Bachmann 4MT.

If you compare the Hornby loco and tender with Bachmann's loco and tender then the superiority of Hornby's becomes very apparent.

Bought mine from Alton models this afternoon. As with other recent Hornby locos e.g. Trevone, the Brunswick green is darker and deeper.

Excellent lining as usual with Hornby. This is their first green 75000. Quite a few of the Western region 75's went green with double chimney. One or two ended up in the north woking as Tebay bankers. I hope they do a green one next year with single chimney. If I remember correctly 75002 and 75016 went lined green while retaining single chimneys. There may be others. I think 75016 ended up in the north.

However, what I am really pleased about is the repositioning of the cylinders approximately 1mm lower which sets them right. This was a criticism of earlier editions. As far as I know this is Hornby's first 75000 to have the cylinder position correct. Well done Hornby!

A really cracking model and one of Hornby's best steam locos with tremendous detail and finesse. Yes they are getting pricey but compared to one nights stay in many hotels or for the price of filling a car tank .....still good value ....especially this one with such fine pipework, ejector detail etc and a good finish.

I really think you should....you won't regret it !

75016 was originally in BR mixed traffic lined black and was allocated to 27C Southport.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested by the L shaped lamp bracket on the smokebox of 75008. https://images.railsofsheffield.com/product-images.axd/IMG_7936sep17.jpg?preset=large As far as I'm aware all the other 4mts by Hornby have had the 'normal' lamp bracket. I have no doubt that Hornby have a photo to prove that this is what was attached to 75008 as 75053 (which arrived at the same time) has the 'normal' type. Is anyone able to shed any light on the reason why some 4mts had this type of bracket?

• RMweb Gold

I'm interested by the L shaped lamp bracket on the smokebox of 75008. https://images.railsofsheffield.com/product-images.axd/IMG_7936sep17.jpg?preset=large As far as I'm aware all the other 4mts by Hornby have had the 'normal' lamp bracket. I have no doubt that Hornby have a photo to prove that this is what was attached to 75008 as 75053 (which arrived at the same time) has the 'normal' type. Is anyone able to shed any light on the reason why some 4mts had this type of bracket?

Western region lamp bracket for a western allocated loco. GWR lamps attach from their sides rather than the back for LMS, LNEr and Southern locos

Archived