Good 7mm starter kit

HI.

I posted about this some time ago, but I would now like to tackle a brass 7mm loco kit.

I have some experience of scratchbuilding and kitbuilding in brass in other scales; mainly 2mm.

My interest is the old Midland, and models which therefore spring to mind are the Slater 1F or Kirtley 0-6-0 goods engine.

The thing is that at the price of these ( £250 upwards) I don't want to buy a kit and then not be able to complete it to a decent standard!!

Would these examples be suitable for someone constructing their first 7mm locomotive?

Experienced builders, what do you think?

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

Well if you have been building in 2mm, you will find 7mm a walk in the park :pleasantry:. Having dabbled in 4mm and EM, I can honestly say that 7mm has been the most enjoyable medium to work in. As for whom I would recommend when it comes to kit suppliers it has to be Jim McGeown, http://www.jimmcgeown.com not only are his kits a joy to build, Jim is a nice genuine chap who always finds the time should you need his help. His Jinty kit is £155 at the moment, obviously you will need wheels/gearbox and motor or there is always his 4F which is a great kit in my opinion at £255. I am sure their will be many others on the forum who will agree with me when it comes to Jim's kits, they are great to start of with when it comes to 7mm.

Hope this is of some help to you,

ATB, Martyn. P.S. Have a look at his website there are lots of helpful hints on there. ;)

Being a 4mm modeller mainly I wanted to build a 7mm loco for an old friend as a Christmas present and bought the Connoisseur Starter 0-4-0 Tank Industrial loco. I found it very simple and straightforward to build and it turned into a lovely looking model and proved to be a great running loco. Having built a lot of etched kits over the years I found this to be the easiest I had ever built and would recommend it to anyone starting in 7mm kitbuilding.

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco%20Kit%20Pages/Starter%20Loco.html

Hmm,

It seems you are suggesting that I start with a simpler kit of a loco which I do not want!

Is there really that much differentce between the little 0-4-0 and the slaters 1F?

If so, what is different about them - apart from the extra axle, and the cost, of course?

You've identified the issue I have with these starter kits - nothing wrong with the Connoisseur loco (it's basically a larger version of the Tri-ang Nellie: looks a bit like an LSWR C14 but isn't), but why, when as you say, it isn't something you actually want, let alone something which never existed in reality? That said, given the number of the things you see on the web and in the flesh the kit is a decent one. Equally, I've seen enough of the Midland 1Fs about at shows so that kit can't have too many horrors (though I see you've asked this before...) and this thread shows said kit in the process of being built.

HTH

Adam

The Slater's 1F has a great big lump of milled brass tube for the firebox/boiler/smokebox. Perfectly buildable and makes a nice model, but you're going to need an iron or microflame with a lot of grunt as it's one heck of a heatsink.

Connoisseur kits have fabulously illustrated instructions and are a delight, even for even a first timer. In re Martyn's post above, I've got a funny feeling the 3F has now been discontinued due to worn casting moulds. Worth checking with Jim.

You asked for a starter kit in 7mm and in many peoples opinion,including mine, Jim's kits are amongst the very best for starting on. His kits are well documented with lots of tips and with a touch more effort will make up into very fine models, I have a few and I'm very happy with them. I've built Slaters coach and wagon kits and IMO they aren't starter kits. They build up into nicely detailed models but aren't for a beginner. No idea about their loco kits.

Having said the above do you consider yourself a beginner who needs to cut his teeth on a starter kit? You've built in 2mm and done some scratch building so it may be that you should set your sights a bit higher.

Laurie Griffin does a few Midland kits http://www.lgminiatures.co.uk/ look under shedmaster.

LK203.jpg

HTH

Kev

Many thanks all for your input.

I didn't intend to sound condescending towards the Connoisseur starter loco.

I suppose I am wondering what the difference in diificulty level is. I shall certainly have a look at your suggestions, Kev T.

Buckjumper, your comment about the large brass boiler on the 1F is the sort of info that is useful to know.

My soldering skills are probably more than adequate, but I don't have much equipment.

You don't need much with 2mm!

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Do you need to start with a loco?

£50 or so will get you something like a brake van kit with a little bit of complexity. Then you haven't wasted too much money if you decide 7mm isn't for you.

Hi

Why not give the Mercian Models 1F a try - £225 for a complete kit.

http://www.modelrailways.tv/images/catalogue/larger/ML4.jpg

I should imagine you're as likely to complete this as anything else, and it is traditional etched brass kit with a rolled boiler. Why start on a wagon or 'starter' 0-4-0 when you don't really have the motivation to do one, especially if you have some experience of brass work?

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

HI.

I posted about this some time ago, but I would now like to tackle a brass 7mm loco kit.

I have some experience of scratchbuilding and kitbuilding in brass in other scales; mainly 2mm.

My interest is the old Midland, and models which therefore spring to mind are the Slater 1F or Kirtley 0-6-0 goods engine.

The thing is that at the price of these ( £250 upwards) I don't want to buy a kit and then not be able to complete it to a decent standard!!

Would these examples be suitable for someone constructing their first 7mm locomotive?

Experienced builders, what do you think?

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chrislock,

I hope it wouldn't be presumptious of me to refer you to my account "Completing a part built Loco kit in 7mm" which is currently on Page 8 of this forum.(Sorry I'm just not computer literate enough to direct you to a link or item identity :blink:

I think the Loco I tackled, Slater's 'Midland Railway Open Cab 0 - 6 - 0T' Ref 7L006 may be the model you've got your mind on.

Whilst not a comprehensive 'how easy/ difficult this was to build' account, you might get a feel for any issues you could encounter and benefit from the comments and encouragement I received from other members.

Good luck with whatever you eventually decide to tackle in 7mm.

John

HI.

Many thanks

Chris

Hello Chris,

one of my first loco kits in O gauge, was the curved frame Kirtley 0-6-0. It went together well, one or two bits that I did change. But that may just be me. This was over twenty years ago.

One thing that you have to remember about the Slater's kits is that you get all the bits (or you did), so when you think about the price it's not that bad.

You will need some bigger soldering irons than you probable have, up to about 75watts.

OzzyO.

Hi Chrislock,

I hope it wouldn't be presumptious of me to refer you to my account "Completing a part built Loco kit in 7mm" which is currently on Page 8 of this forum.(Sorry I'm just not computer literate enough to direct you to a link or item identity :blink:

I think the Loco I tackled, Slater's 'Midland Railway Open Cab 0 - 6 - 0T' Ref 7L006 may be the model you've got your mind on.

Whilst not a comprehensive 'how easy/ difficult this was to build' account, you might get a feel for any issues you could encounter and benefit from the comments and encouragement I received from other members.

Good luck with whatever you eventually decide to tackle in 7mm.

John

HI John, yes I've read your thread and very interesting it was. You did a really good job on that half cab; and yes it is the model I had in mind.

Hello Chris,

one of my first loco kits in O gauge, was the curved frame Kirtley 0-6-0. It went together well, one or two bits that I did change. But that may just be me. This was over twenty years ago.

One thing that you have to remember about the Slater's kits is that you get all the bits (or you did), so when you think about the price it's not that bad.

You will need some bigger soldering irons than you probable have, up to about 75watts.

OzzyO.

Hi Ozzy,

I think the cost of O gauge is startling only to others working in smaller scales!!

For example, I was talking to a chap who had just aquired a Bassett-Lowke at around the £900 mark..

Initially I just want an impressive engine to sit on my windowsill. I might not even paint it.

Your tip ( no pun) about the 75w is a very useful one. Thanks

I love those o/f engines, but wonder how much more difficult they are than, say the i/f Johnson 2F?

The price difference between the 1F and the Kirtley is not particularly significant in the scheme of things. Which motors are best in 7mm - is there any sort of consensus?

It looks like one of these could well be a retirement present next year!

Regards,

Chris

Hello Jim,

as I said the Slater's kits appear to be expensive, but you do get the wheels, motor & gearbox, plunger pick-ups and transfers. IIRC you also get the choce of sprung horn blocks or ridged frames.

All I can say is 7mm is a fantastic scale to work in, just enjoy.

OzzyO.

Jim

As well as the good advice already given can I suggest that you seek out your local Gauge 0 Group and make contact. There is a wealth of talent out there who are more than willing to help if you get into difficulty. You don't need to be a Gauge 0 Guild member to join.

Regards

Sandy

Archived