Bullied Tenders

georgeT

Hi, l am building a BoB from scratch, the loco chosen is '229 Squadron' l have started with the tender first and have gone for the original high sided 4.500 gallon tender, the problem l have is while looking at hundreds of photos on the net l have found that on some tenders the offside rear step has a bend in it. l was wondering if any Southern modeller knows the reason why ???

• RMweb Premium

On the rear of the 4500 gal tender is a thick horizontal bar running not far above rail level. This seems to be part of the brake rigging. Now at the rear on the offside a cranked rod goes vertically up from the bar behind the rear of the buffer housing. The rod appears to go into some sort of housing and this is why the rear step has a bend in it. I've a feeling the 5500 gal tenders were wider at the base and therefore the steps were further out and avoided the housing.

I'm sure someone may be able to give the correct technical names to these parts!

• RMweb Gold

Not wishing to add anythiong to Chris's highly technical reply, I can indeed confirm the kink to the offside rear tender steps was only present on the narrower 4,500 gallon tenders to clear part of the Brake mechanism.

Archived