Class 03 Match Truck

WhiteRoseRambler

Having just browsed the new TMC website following a prompt from another post, I noticed a discrete link that lead to this:

http://www.themodelcentre.co.uk/37-980y/prod_678.html

A new, limited edition, weathered match truck for use with the class 03 shunter. Well, I am delighted as I have a couple of 03s now and was somewhat reluctant to pay the current EBay asking price of £45 for the previous model (37-980Z). This one costs £9.99.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but a search proved inconclusive.

Hope this is of interest to others.

Regards

Chris

Were these shunters wagons also used with 08s?

No - the term "shunters wagon" is a bit of a misnomer as they were only orginally used with 03's to ensure the operation of track-circuits by such a short wheelbase lightweight loco.

• RMweb Premium

Were they painted yellow from the beginning then? Somehow I don't associate the yellow livery (or these wagons in general) with the 'early years' of the 03s.

No - the term "shunters wagon" is a bit of a misnomer as they were only orginally used with 03's to ensure the operation of track-circuits by such a short wheelbase lightweight loco.

both ex conflat A's & L's were used as runners with class 04's as well certainly at ipswich

Nigel

Were they painted yellow from the beginning then? Somehow I don't associate the yellow livery (or these wagons in general) with the 'early years' of the 03s.

no , initially they retained their bauxite/freight brown traffic liveries & numbers

Nigel

both ex conflat A's & L's were used as runners with class 04's as well certainly at ipswich

Nigel

04's - before my time !! :laugh: :laugh:

Interestingly I don't rememeber conflat match wagons being used on the Bournemouth / Bristol allocated examples - it seemed to be a Eastern Region practice - Newcastle / Norwich / Hull etc in my experience.

Lowfit wagons were also used.

04's - before my time !! :laugh: :laugh:

Interestingly I don't rememeber conflat match wagons being used on the Bournemouth / Bristol allocated examples - it seemed to be a Eastern Region practice - Newcastle / Norwich / Hull etc in my experience.

Lowfit wagons were also used.

before mine as well!!:laugh: I've just got photographic evidence,two of the examples strangely are ex-southern examples D2278/80 photographed in '69/70 at ipswich still carrying their additional southern marker lights at each end,

Nigel

• 3 months later...

no , initially they retained their bauxite/freight brown traffic liveries & numbers

Nigel

Thanks, I am converting a green era conflat and was unsure of the colour. I'm thinking the wagon would have retained its original running number but with a "D" prefix.

John

The wagons in question are:-

Conflat L

Demountable Tank

Conflat- either A or L

Demountable Tank

Conflat L

Demountable Tank

Then 4 shots of Conflat Ls

The wagons would have been allocated to the Operating Department, so the number would have had a second prefix in front of the 'D'- I can't remember if it was A or T. John Isherwood does sets of numbers for these:-

Sheet BL41 - BR East Anglian Class 03 diesel shunter runner wagons. Runners based on former Conflats L to Diagrams 1/066 & 1/068, plus a single example converted from a Conflat A to diagram 1/069. Black lettering and end chevrons for yellow wagons; transfers for ten runner wagons.

2mm., 3mm., 3.5mm. & 4mm. scale price is £6.00

S scale price is £12.00

7mm. scale price is £18.00

Gauge 1 price is £24.00

• 5 months later...

I spoke to someone at the end of January and was told they were due at the beginning of March. At the begiining of thsi month the TMC website changed to due April. When I checked earlier today the expected date had moved again to May. Hopefully it is going to be worth the wait.

I saw the Match Truck together with the Horse Box, and Conflats with Birds Eye Containers that TMC have commissioned at Alexandra Palace today and all three look really good.

The Horse Box was in a grey primer but the detail on this is superb,but I guess that goes without saying when its being produced by Bachmann.

• 1 month later...

I have spoken to someone at TMC today to sort out the price increase and was told that they hope to start shipping next week.

Delticblade - what do you mean by 'sort out'? Have they agreed to forego the increase on your order or do you mean you have paid the extra? I, for one, was not happy about the increase and the way it was handled and will have serious reservations about using TMC in the future.

Delticblade - what do you mean by 'sort out'? Have they agreed to forego the increase on your order or do you mean you have paid the extra? I, for one, was not happy about the increase and the way it was handled and will have serious reservations about using TMC in the future.i

to had to pay extra on a order i placed a year ago it was about an extra £2.50 per wagon i too will not be buying from them again

houseman

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Mine arrived today after a minor glitch. It may not be totally accurate, but IMHO it looks the part.

post-7291-0-14936100-1337185861_thumb.jpg

post-7291-0-75915500-1337185870_thumb.jpg

The 03 is likely to be renumbered, so it will be suitably weathered afterwards.

Archived